Help needed in tracking daily activities

Options
I wish I could (or figure out how to) customize a workout plan. I'm a hairdresser/ cosmetology instructor and I'm on my feet for nearly 10 hours a day 6 days a week. It isn't a workout but it's a lot of work standing in the same place behind the chair or when walking around a classroom checking students work/presenting a lesson. I wish there was a way I could monitor what I'm doing. I've tried the fitbit and it's always inaccurate due to me blow drying hair or styling. I've tried wearing it around my ankle and that didn't work either. If anyone could help me figure something out or know of something or someone who might be able to that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I would switch to a Fitbit One or Zip, which you can clip onto your waistband or bra and won't be as affected by your hand movements. Otherwise, set your activity level to either lightly or moderately active, and adjust based on 4-6 weeks of progress.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I had a Garmin that tracked my daily steps. I never got any credit for just standing. I believe the thinking is that actual stepping movements can be monitored to help you calculate burning calories, but normal movements like moving your arms to curl someone's hair or put a cake in the oven or fold laundry while standing in place isn't counted by a pedometer. BUT I just did a Google search and saw that a website called CalorieLab.com estimates 1 hour of styling your own hair burns 170 calories (102 calories for being active, 68 calories during the resting periods.) Who knows how accurate that is!

MyFitnessPal has you set up your plan by entering your activity level. Maybe you're "lightly active".
  • MonicaGartner12
    MonicaGartner12 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I had a Garmin that tracked my daily steps. I never got any credit for just standing. I believe the thinking is that actual stepping movements can be monitored to help you calculate burning calories, but normal movements like moving your arms to curl someone's hair or put a cake in the oven or fold laundry while standing in place isn't counted by a pedometer. BUT I just did a Google search and saw that a website called CalorieLab.com estimates 1 hour of styling your own hair burns 170 calories (102 calories for being active, 68 calories during the resting periods.) Who knows how accurate that is!

MyFitnessPal has you set up your plan by entering your activity level. Maybe you're "lightly active".

Thank you, I'll check out the site today. See what I can figure out. That sounds like a lot of calories for that period of time. If it was truly accurate I should be WAY under my goal weight. Lol
  • MonicaGartner12
    MonicaGartner12 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    If I were you, I would switch to a Fitbit One or Zip, which you can clip onto your waistband or bra and won't be as affected by your hand movements. Otherwise, set your activity level to either lightly or moderately active, and adjust based on 4-6 weeks of progress.

Thank you, I'll look into those. See which might work for me.