Pickled eggs

Options
Meganthedogmom
Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
edited August 2017 in Food and Nutrition
Weird question. I was eating a hard boiled egg with some pickle slices the other day and I was like, "man, this is where it's at!" Then I thought, "maybe I can just put the eggs in the pickle juice and it'll be amazing!"
So I read online that you can in fact just pickle eggs by putting them in already-made pickle juice for a couple of days. So I did.
But when I took an egg out, the texture was very, very firm. Much more firm than before. It kinda ruined it. Is this normal? Is this how all pickled eggs are? I've never had them before, so I have no idea.
Also, not sure if it matters or not but it was bread & butter pickle juice.

Replies

• Meganthedogmom
    Options
    canyonGeek wrote: »
    Yes, this is normal. The pickle juice is acidic. It usually contains vinegar (acetic acid). The vinegar causes egg proteins to denature and bond with each other, thickening the texture of the egg white. Leave them long enough and they'll bounce.

Thanks for explaining! Now I know.
    Kinda mad that my eggs are grossly firm now though, plus I ate all the pickles so I could use the pickle juice. :(
    Good thing tomorrow is grocery day.
  • SlugForAButt
    SlugForAButt Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been pickling my own eggs for years and I've never had this. Maybe you need to use clean pickling vinegar? Either way, I love 'em when I've left them for about a year and they go brown...mmm.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Options
    I've been pickling my own eggs for years and I've never had this. Maybe you need to use clean pickling vinegar? Either way, I love 'em when I've left them for about a year and they go brown...mmm.

A year??? Is that safe??
  • canarysal
    canarysal Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    You can buy pickled eggs in the UK!!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    canarysal wrote: »
    You can buy pickled eggs in the UK!!

You can in the US as well. Some bars have big jars of them sitting around.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    They have pickled eggs at Walmart. I've never given them a second glance, but now I feel like I need to give them a try.