Morning walk-feeling sore all throughout body-not new to walking

Options
So ,I have gradually increased my walking distance to 2 miles daily (started in June).Started walking in the morning (about week)as soon as I wake up (used to walk later in the morning/afternoon after kiddo and hubby left ,now I can't due to summer heat).
The funny thing is I am too sore to get other house work done and napping/eating over my limit(some of which is because of my newer calorie deficit limit) and eat most of my exercise calories.
I took pain killer today,but wondering will the soreness go away if I keep up? I have been drinking good amount of water.

Replies

• cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    What sort of calorie level are you on?
    This seems like your body asking for a break!

Either take a rest day, or consider a "re-feed" day where you eat 20% more than your normal goal.
    (It's NOT a cheat day! You only get 20% more and it should be good food.)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm wondering about your calorie level too. What are your height and weight and how active/inactive were you before starting the walking program?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Where is the soreness from walking?
  • Speziface
    Speziface Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I'd get an overall 'tired and sore' feeling, too. Try taking the occasional day off from walking, boost your protein intake a bit, and stay hydrated. Might also help to just stretch or do yoga on both the on and off days.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough sleep as well?
  • tobehappy2017
    tobehappy2017 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4" currently 71kg(down 1 kg from my recalculated weight on MFP),I set for .5kg per week and got 1220 per day.I average about 85-100 cal in exercise and eat them all and for the past few days more than that(about 250 caps more).
    The soreness is mostly mid-section and thighs(which is where I carry all my extra weight).
    I sleep enough(8 hours),and now I need to nap mid day too.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    My money is on calories. When I don't eat enough for two consecutive days, I find that my muscles will get sore and achy. The next step beyond that is actually feeling like I have a fever. As soon as I eat a normal meal (including fats), the feeling goes away.
  • tobehappy2017
    Options
    cs2thecox wrote: »
    What sort of calorie level are you on?
    This seems like your body asking for a break!

Either take a rest day, or consider a "re-feed" day where you eat 20% more than your normal goal.
    (It's NOT a cheat day! You only get 20% more and it should be good food.)

I am already eating roughly 20%,maybe I will take a rest day and see how it goes.
    1220 cal and eat back exercise calories.
  • tobehappy2017
    Options
    Speziface wrote: »
    I'd get an overall 'tired and sore' feeling, too. Try taking the occasional day off from walking, boost your protein intake a bit, and stay hydrated. Might also help to just stretch or do yoga on both the on and off days.

Going to try this.drink more water and sometimes can't hit my protein goal.I do stretch after walking but not always.
  • tobehappy2017
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Where is the soreness from walking?

Mid section and thighs (I am heavy in both areas)
  • tobehappy2017
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm wondering about your calorie level too. What are your height and weight and how active/inactive were you before starting the walking program?

Lightly active to sedentary for the past few years.I slowly increased my walking distance from June .1220 now 5'4" 71kg with .5kg /week loss.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Good job of walking and trying to progress. It will take you far! Your thighs are probably tight and your midsection is probably weak. Walking does engage your core muscles. You could try foam rolling on the thighs to help release them. Are you doing any strength/resistance training? That would help with the core.
    Maybe 2 walks of 1 mile each per day would be better for your body.
    Since you've changed the time, of your walk, you might need to alter your nutrition and hydration, as you are starting out the day low on both. Also, please follow the advice from others about protein, hydration, and calories.
  • tobehappy2017
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Good job of walking and trying to progress. It will take you far! Your thighs are probably tight and your midsection is probably weak. Walking does engage your core muscles. You could try foam rolling on the thighs to help release them. Are you doing any strength/resistance training? That would help with the core.
    Maybe 2 walks of 1 mile each per day would be better for your body.
    Since you've changed the time, of your walk, you might need to alter your nutrition and hydration, as you are starting out the day low on both. Also, please follow the advice from others about protein, hydration, and calories.

Don't have access to gym/equipment,but I am trying to do squats/lunges(very low count on alternative days) trying to get started slow.i also do the fitness blender no equipment workouts with warm up and cool down (30 minutes)when I can't go for a walk.
    I will try drinking water before heading out in the morning and see if it helps.

• 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Any chance you're pregnant if you're needing that nap? I've never heard of pregnancy causing soreness, but it sure caused me to need to nap.
  • tobehappy2017
    Options
    7elizamae wrote: »
    Any chance you're pregnant if you're needing that nap? I've never heard of pregnancy causing soreness, but it sure caused me to need to nap.

Don't think so,got my period 2 weeks ago(and the weight fluctuation talked about in these forums are real deal lol)
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest your joints might be hurting and ask if you had bought new shoes recently (I get some pain when adapting to new shoes) or if perhaps you needed new ones. But midsection and thighs sounds more like muscle soreness.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Mid section and thighs (I am heavy in both areas)

possibly psoas and/or your hip flexors are tight. these are the muscles that you use as your foot comes forward. it can be intense stretching them, so i'd go carefully to start with and just do gentle experiments in stretching to see if it seems to help.

word on stretching around the massage people i've heard from has always been: stay gentle so the muscle you're trying to stretch doesn't 'guard' by tightening up even more, and hold the gentle sensation for a minimum of 30 seconds to give your nervous system time to catch on nothing bad is going to happen and authorize the muscle to relax and lengthen into the stretch. little 5-second stretches don't do much imo.

• jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Check your macros and make sure you're getting enough protein. When I first started MFP a few months ago, I was restricting calories but not paying attention to my protein levels. I started feeling tired and achey and sore all over - turns out I was way low on my protein. Two days after I upped my intake I felt all back to normal.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I think others have nailed it.

Every once in a while you need a rest day to give your healing muscles time to catch up.

A weak core and tight hips can lead to the soreness you describe. It's not the weight in that area that is messing you up; it's the failure to stretch, loosen, and strengthen those muscles.

Double up on your stretching especially right after your walk. Try a foam roller on those hips.

More core strength exercises with full rest days in between.
  • tobehappy2017
    Options
    jayemes wrote: »
    Check your macros and make sure you're getting enough protein. When I first started MFP a few months ago, I was restricting calories but not paying attention to my protein levels. I started feeling tired and achey and sore all over - turns out I was way low on my protein. Two days after I upped my intake I felt all back to normal.

Yes I haven't been hitting my protein goals of late trying to eat my adjusted deficit.Need to pay more attention.