How often should I take my measurements?

Options
I have always been a weight measuring person, but I'm getting pretty close to what I thought would be my goal weight, but have more muscle than I had counted on (I didn't expect to start enjoying lifting weights!), so I think my maintenance weight might be a bit higher than I'd expected. At this point, I want to start taking measurements and tracking those. But, I've never done that before! How often should I measure? With the scale, I would weigh myself every day, but track it in MFP once a week. I don't know if once a week with a tape measure is too frequent, or not frequent enough.

Thanks!

Replies

• JackieMarie1989jgw
    JackieMarie1989jgw Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Personally, I measure every week because it's a habit to do it the same time I do my weight. But I am realistic in my expectations. I dont get discouraged if I havent seen a change in my measurements from one week to the next, since those changes can take longer
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,131 Member
    Options
    I am not really monitoring mine but I take them monthly, I haven't seen much more than an inch difference in a month, but I don't do massive amounts of strength training, just 2 or 3 15-20 min workouts a week.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success! I measured every 3 months while losing because I liked to see big changes in the numbers My trainer did it. I've stopped in maintenance because I'm on my own now and was having trouble getting consistent numbers. The progress pics tell the story.
    I don't know if you'd see much change on a weekly basis. I'd suggest at least monthly or less frequently. It all depends on what motivate/encourages/discourages you. Where you place the tape and how you hold it can make 1/4 to 1/2 inch difference, so be sure to develop a consistent method.