Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Soda Tax

SuzySunshine99
SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
My county just implemented a tax on all "sweetened beverages", including those with artificial sweeteners. They say it is to combat obesity and encourage people to select "healthier" beverages. They said that there are "conflicting reports" on the health effects of artificial sweeteners. Whatever...obviously, the real reason is to increase revenue for the county. That is not up for debate. But, do you think a tax like this, despite the real reason behind it, really could have an effect of people's health? Will they really select a bottle of water instead of a Coke to avoid the tax? I'm thinking no.

Here's the details of the tax...it is one penny per ounce and applies to:
-Regular and diet sodas, sweetened teas, bottled sweetened coffee, sports drinks, energy drinks, any sweetened dairy beverage that is less than 50% milk, and juice products that are not 100% juice.
-This applies to all retailers, restaurants, bars, and vending machines, including fountain drinks in those establishments.

It does NOT apply to:
-100% fruit/vegetable juice
-Weight reduction/meal replacement beverages
-Made to order coffee drinks (Starbucks)
-Sparkling water
-Milk substitutes (almond, soy, etc.)

A penny per ounce can add up...I usually buy the 35 can case of Coke Zero at Costco. The tax will add $4.20 to the price (35 x 12oz). This is IN ADDITION to our regular 10% sales tax. I will be visiting a Costco in the next county over for my Coke Zero.

Would this tax discourage you from buying these beverages?

Replies

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    My guess, and it's just a guess, is that there will be some effect, probably minimal. I'd think the price for sweetened beverages is not very elastic, because there are multiple alternatives. People will buy marginally less.
  • Valsgoals
    Valsgoals Posts: 132 Member
    I'm in the same county. Like Monkey, I won't be affected often by the new tax because I mainly drink bottled or filtered water or home-made coffee. That said, I think it's ridiculous. Like the OP, when the time comes to buy pops and juice pouches for parties at my house I will be traveling to the next county over to avoid both the 10% tax as well as the beverage tax. Heck, that's where I'll buy my liquor too while I'm there because that's also taxed lower. I do however feel this will most affect the lower income people that live in parts of the county where there are well documented food deserts and where those same people don't have vehicles to travel to regular grocery stores to buy healthier foods, let alone have the luxury of disposable cash to buy bottled water. Luckily, me and the OP do have the luxury of going elsewhere to mostly avoid the tax.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    It's going to push more people to move their purchases across the county line, which will reduce tax revenue, which will increase taxes...

At some point, the county will go bankrupt(See California) due to income drain.

^^^ this is the biggest effect that it will have (not a reduction of people drinking the sodas).
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    It's going to push more people to move their purchases across the county line, which will reduce tax revenue, which will increase taxes...

At some point, the county will go bankrupt(See California) due to income drain.

I'm pretty sure this is in IL (Cook County, i.e. Chicago). The state is already teetering on bankruptcy.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    The tax on artificially sweetened beverages is a real reach.

I'd either shop in another county or do without at that level of taxation.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »
    My county just implemented a tax on all "sweetened beverages", including those with artificial sweeteners. They say it is to combat obesity and encourage people to select "healthier" beverages. They said that there are "conflicting reports" on the health effects of artificial sweeteners. Whatever...obviously, the real reason is to increase revenue for the county. That is not up for debate. But, do you think a tax like this, despite the real reason behind it, really could have an effect of people's health? Will they really select a bottle of water instead of a Coke to avoid the tax? I'm thinking no.

-Regular and diet sodas, sweetened teas, bottled sweetened coffee, sports drinks, energy drinks, any sweetened dairy beverage that is less than 50% milk, and juice products that are not 100% juice.
    -This applies to all retailers, restaurants, bars, and vending machines, including fountain drinks in those establishments.

It does NOT apply to:
    -Sparkling water

A penny per ounce can add up...I usually buy the 35 can case of Coke Zero at Costco. The tax will add $4.20 to the price (35 x 12oz). This is IN ADDITION to our regular 10% sales tax. I will be visiting a Costco in the next county over for my Coke Zero.

Re: the bolded - you and a whole lot of other folks will likely go to the next county to buy your Coke Zero (or whatever). And while you're there, you will probably also buy all the other things you normally would at Costco. So, the county has not only lost out on the revenue from the stupid beverage tax, but also the tax revenue it would have collected on all your other purchases but now won't because they've chased all business into the next county. Brilliant :huh:

Exactly. And that's why it's something that has more of an effect on lower-income people who may not so easily be able to shop elsewhere.

This is also why it's BS that this is about people's health. The county WANTS people to still buy the sweet beverages...they are counting on the fact that you will so they can get the revenue. If people DID actually make "better" choices, they would not get the funds they are counting on.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »

It does NOT apply to:
    -Sparkling water

Re: the bolded - you and a whole lot of other folks will likely go to the next county to buy your Coke Zero (or whatever). And while you're there, you will probably also buy all the other things you normally would at Costco. So, the county has not only lost out on the revenue from the stupid beverage tax, but also the tax revenue it would have collected on all your other purchases but now won't because they've chased all business into the next county. Brilliant :huh:

Exactly. And that's why it's something that has more of an effect on lower-income people who may not so easily be able to shop elsewhere.

This is also why it's BS that this is about people's health. The county WANTS people to still buy the sweet beverages...they are counting on the fact that you will so they can get the revenue. If people DID actually make "better" choices, they would not get the funds they are counting on.

I remember when they jacked up taxes on cigarettes with the promise that it would get people to quit and also fund children's health insurance and I thought "you can't really have both, now can you?"
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    edited August 2017
    Also, FWIW, Costco doesn't have the best prices on brand soda. It's on sale pretty regularly at jewel at a cheaper price. Which makes driving to Oak Brook or Gurnee or Lake Zurich even more impractical.

(Again, for the record, I don't agree with the tax at all).
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,501 Member
    It's stupid. When new taxes are created it's just for ONE reason.......................to make more money than they already are spending.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    What's it gonna do to places like 7-11, where you fix your tea in the back, take it to the front to pay. How will you prove it is sweet or not?
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    edited August 2017
    Drive to next county, purchase Coke, drive home. Soda tax is a stupid idea.

Coke and other sodas and sweetened drinks have been around for a very long time. Why do we suddenly need to discourage people from drinking something they want? I don't see it making a significant impact on the overall health of the people in the area, it will just pad the county's revenue stream at strip a little more disposable income out of the local economy. Lame.