WEIGHTS (MACHINE) - SHOULDER PRESS

Options
Hi all,

Lost a fair bit of weight over last 3-4 months. Taken to doing weights (after about 15 years ,since school!).

Question... Shoulder Press.

Free weights, or, Machine?

If Machine (I have a temperamental back! So started on Machine), ...Palms facing in or Palms facing out when you lift?
Does one emphasise shoulders less/triceps more (and vice versa) ??

Please advise

Replies

• timsla
    timsla Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Depends where your back has problems. If it's macheine where you sit in it it will actually load your spine even more. Try light weight shoulder press. Get your form down using a pvc pipe. Then work your way up
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I don't know which particular muscles are targeted, but I will suggest that free weights are better most of the time. They will also work the rest of your body as well, provide a more comprehensive workout for the shoulder and I think would actually fit your back (without knowing the actual problem) better than a machine. Besides, haven't you heard of SkyNet, I don't encourage machines. :tongue:

All kidding aside, if you start the overhead press with only the bar, and work slowly, slowly up to more weights and reps, ever so slowly, I'd suggest your back problems could actually reduce due to the increased strength you'll get. Add in squats and they'll probably just go away :)

Whatever you choose, just be happy with doing them, if they work for you and keep you working out, then that's great.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Isolateral Shoulder Press (Hammer) machines are great and if you want to use free weights you can try DB's. Dumbbell (seated) shoulder presses seem to be a lot easier on my back and neck than BB... and palms in works the anterior head more and I find them awkward with any kind of real weight.
  • tarun_yadavA
    tarun_yadavA Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys much appreciated
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    A neutral grip (palms in) tends to be easier on the shoulder joint (less impingement).

http://www.stack.com/a/shoulder-press-variations
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    I'm partial to free weights or barbell movements vs. machines as the former allow for a more unrestricted range of motion. I too have back issues (L4-L5 arthritis) and can do sitting or standing just fine, I just need to make sure I don't hyper-extend my back at the top of the rep. Depending on the nature of your back issues (high/mid/low, structural/muscular, etc.) different things may work better for you.

I know for me lifting progression for presses and deadlift are lagging behind my other lifts as I will often leave a few reps in the tank being ultra-conscious of my form to protect my back.