Lessons with "Lose A Lot of Weight With Us" People

Options
I wanted to share this experience about Medi Weight Loss. Apologies to anyone who does use this program, and if you do, would love to hear if this is what you went through as well:

I called them several times inquiring about the cost, as well as what the first visit does. I was told repeatedly, especially after I gave them my insurance card, that they were covered by my insurance. I was also told the consult would last only 20 minutes to give me details and it was all free. So I went at 7 am this morning for my 20 minute consult.

Exactly 104 minutes later I left, and my wallet was $375.12 lighter. That 'free consult' was literally nothing--they strapped me to an EKG, drew blood, urine test, the works. Everytime they tried something else, I asked "is this a part of the free consult?" And was told "yes! We are just getting your initial information." Turns out the free consult was a 30 minute almost like time share presentation about the program, and nothing else was free.

I drew the line when they tried to give me a B12 shot--because I'm in a clinical study for MS and I am not permitted to allow anyone to give me supplements or shots without my MS doctor's written permission. And let me tell you they fought and tried to guilt trip me about that. So I told them I was done, also because I was now really late to work, and went to leave. They chased me down about the $375 because they actually don't take my insurance and said they would have to call the police if I tried to leave without paying. So I paid them, walked out, and burst into tears.

I feel scammed. Of course I called my husband and he raised hell with Medi Weight Loss so I am getting my money back as soon as I return the starter kit with the 8 different types of supplements they want you to take. But as I was leaving I saw others in the waiting room and in my head was like "How are they doing this? Did they have the same experience I did--lied to about what a consult was? How do they afford this?" (weekly visits are $66-88, wouldn't tell me why there is a range, and that B12 and B6 shots are $22.50 together, oh and supplements and such are extra as well) I should have listened to the alarm bells in my head the second they started trying to do the physical and especially the blood draw and walked out.

I am amazed and still in a bit of shock about what happened this morning. I had success with MFP before but have been struggling after falling off the wagon, and I just got the sudden reminder that why pay someone to do something MFP can help with (and that is truly free). So, brushing the dust off my food scale, reviewing recipes and tracking everything hardcore...because I have learned that only you can control your weight loss journey.

Geez.

Replies

• rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    We live and we learn.
    That's a rough 375 learning experience, but you are right, only you can make the change.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Sorry you went through that. Thanks for sharing your experience, it will help other people about going through what you went through.

Don't take no for an answer about getting your money back. They're going to try to trick you into letting them keep it. Be firm.
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    I would have let them call the police - having the police show up would, at the very least, be a warning to everyone in the waiting room.

^^ I would have too.
  • mrsloganlife
    mrsloganlife Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Oh I'm getting my money back--they were pretty firm until I mentioned calling the police myself and reporting them for fraud. Just...I did so much research on this and usually if it is spam Google pops those results at the top. But now as I dig further I am finding more occurrences. Major reality slap there.

And part of that $375 was to go towards my hair appointment tomorrow and sorry Medi, but my roots need love haha. I just don't want this to happen to anyone else, and I really want to know if the people in that waiting room had the exact same experience too.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I never knew much about these clinics until I came to MFP. I'm so glad I found this place before I got truly desperate. The mention of those places makes me throw up in my mouth. I even have a bunch of HMR meals in my closet. I learned about HMR through a news article about a local man who reported great success with them. I looked them up and decided it wasn't for me, but I figured I'd give the meals a shot anyway for calorie control, as I was just getting started. Not bad if you're not picky. I've outgrown them at this point and they're sort of just there for when I'm strapped for grocery money. The program itself, though? Hell no.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you had this horrible experience, I'm glad your husband is backing you up to get the money back, and I'm glad you've come here to give a warning. Who knows how many people you'll save from being similarly cheated? Well done.
  • DrPrev
    DrPrev Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I’ve been a part of Medi-weight loss and have had a completely different and positive experience.

I was told the initial appt was an hour and a half, what it entailed, and whether my insurance covered the visits prior to ever starting. The supplements are not covered by insurance (which I knew ahead of time). They last 4 weeks and cost less than $80.
    My weekly visits only cost me a $35 co-pay and I don’t have to buy any of their foods, bars, or shakes.

My results have been great and the supplements make me not hungry and not worry that I am missing any nutrients from my reduced caloric intake.

I’m sorry you had this experience, but maybe it’s just that location. As I’ve only heard about great experiences in my state and from my online groups!
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I wanted to share this experience about Medi Weight Loss. Apologies to anyone who does use this program, and if you do, would love to hear if this is what you went through as well:

I called them several times inquiring about the cost, as well as what the first visit does. I was told repeatedly, especially after I gave them my insurance card, that they were covered by my insurance. I was also told the consult would last only 20 minutes to give me details and it was all free. So I went at 7 am this morning for my 20 minute consult.

Exactly 104 minutes later I left, and my wallet was $375.12 lighter. That 'free consult' was literally nothing--they strapped me to an EKG, drew blood, urine test, the works. Everytime they tried something else, I asked "is this a part of the free consult?" And was told "yes! We are just getting your initial information." Turns out the free consult was a 30 minute almost like time share presentation about the program, and nothing else was free.

I drew the line when they tried to give me a B12 shot--because I'm in a clinical study for MS and I am not permitted to allow anyone to give me supplements or shots without my MS doctor's written permission. And let me tell you they fought and tried to guilt trip me about that. So I told them I was done, also because I was now really late to work, and went to leave. They chased me down about the $375 because they actually don't take my insurance and said they would have to call the police if I tried to leave without paying. So I paid them, walked out, and burst into tears.

I feel scammed. Of course I called my husband and he raised hell with Medi Weight Loss so I am getting my money back as soon as I return the starter kit with the 8 different types of supplements they want you to take. But as I was leaving I saw others in the waiting room and in my head was like "How are they doing this? Did they have the same experience I did--lied to about what a consult was? How do they afford this?" (weekly visits are $66-88, wouldn't tell me why there is a range, and that B12 and B6 shots are $22.50 together, oh and supplements and such are extra as well) I should have listened to the alarm bells in my head the second they started trying to do the physical and especially the blood draw and walked out.

I am amazed and still in a bit of shock about what happened this morning. I had success with MFP before but have been struggling after falling off the wagon, and I just got the sudden reminder that why pay someone to do something MFP can help with (and that is truly free). So, brushing the dust off my food scale, reviewing recipes and tracking everything hardcore...because I have learned that only you can control your weight loss journey.

Geez.

Report this scam to your state attorney general and the BBB. I am sorry you got taken, hopefully you get all your money back. Hugs
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    I would have let them call the police - having the police show up would, at the very least, be a warning to everyone in the waiting room.

Better yet: (as you pull out your phone) (sweetly but loudly, so others in waiting room can hear you) Oh, don't trouble yourself, please. I can call the police myself to report extortion and false imprisonment. See, I have 911 on speed dial, so it's really easy. But you're so sweet to want to do it for me.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Lol whoever woo’ed me isn’t a business owner. They call you or email and say they’ve received a customer complaint about you, but to find out what it is or to change the way they rate you, they require you to become a paying member.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Lol whoever woo’ed me isn’t a business owner. They call you or email and say they’ve received a customer complaint about you, but to find out what it is or to change the way they rate you, they require you to become a paying member.

Not a scam, just a membership organization. Joining the organization doesn't obligate them to whitewash your complaints. Which would be the case if they were actually a scam. Ombudsing isn't cheap.
  • cadien907
    cadien907 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Definitely contact your attorney general's office. Our state's consumer protection division is very aggressive about going after scammers, including publicizing them.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I was given the same promises, covered by insurance, half hour free consult, nothing extra to buy. Dr even made me join a gym and lose 5lbs on my own to "prove I was serious".
    Sat down to consult and was given sales pitch instead of help. I was PISSED. After discovering that literally nothing of the plan was actually covered as promised, she tried to sell me the insanely overpriced supplements, that were also not covered. I wasn't at all polite about leaving. I straight up told her I was furuous for being lied to about why I was there, that I'd already told them I couldn't afford to pay out of pocket, and that I was very done.
    Changed Dr.s that day.