Newly Vegetarian

Options
Hi all. Are any of you vegetarian? I'm looking for ideas to get my protein intake up.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I get my protein from beans, grains, tofu, tempeh, seitan, vegetables, and protein powder (usually hemp or pea protein). When I began to focus on getting sufficient protein, I found it useful to build my meals starting with the major protein sources and then adding other stuff. This would ensure I didn't run out of calorie room without getting enough protein.
  • cavewoman15
    cavewoman15 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    i eat a mostly vegan diet and get my protein from beans, whole grains, nuts, and seeds. i've also done a ton of research, and my conclusion is that we probably don't need near as much protein as we think we do. but to each their own, of course. feel free to add me - i'm always looking for more veg friends!
  • LeeanneEkland
    LeeanneEkland Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    i eat a mostly vegan diet and get my protein from beans, whole grains, nuts, and seeds. i've also done a ton of research, and my conclusion is that we probably don't need near as much protein as we think we do. but to each their own, of course. feel free to add me - i'm always looking for more veg friends!

I agree on the idea that we probably eat more protein than we need. My goal is 20% but I've been getting half that sometimes and know that I eat too much
  • LeeanneEkland
    LeeanneEkland Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I get my protein from beans, grains, tofu, tempeh, seitan, vegetables, and protein powder (usually hemp or pea protein). When I began to focus on getting sufficient protein, I found it useful to build my meals starting with the major protein sources and then adding other stuff. This would ensure I didn't run out of calorie room without getting enough protein.

What is seitan? And tempeh I've not had. I do have tofu and soy products but wonder about the whole estrogen thing? Myth? There's so much conflicting info out there that even for someone like me who is up on a lot of it, leaves me wondering if I know anything at all.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

What is seitan? And tempeh I've not had. I do have tofu and soy products but wonder about the whole estrogen thing? Myth? There's so much conflicting info out there that even for someone like me who is up on a lot of it, leaves me wondering if I know anything at all.

Seitan is a meatlike food made from wheat. You can buy it at stores (depending upon where you live) or make your own if you buy a bag of vital wheat gluten. It's one of the higher protein plant foods.

Unless your doctor has specifically told you to avoid soy due to a medical condition, I wouldn't worry about the "whole estrogen thing." Soy has been studied extensively and moderate soy consumption has not been shown to be harmful. This article, written by a vegan RD, may be of interest to you: http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/soy_wth
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I have been vegetarian/vegan in the past! (Disclaimer: I eat some meat now. But I still think it's doable, just not the way fresh-outta-college me cooked and ate.)

There are tons of articles on the topic (look up No Meat Athlete! And vegan body builders--there are multiple!) but I'm guessing you want personal advice. Okay.

Grains and legumes is always a winning combination: many vegetarians go by the meal formula of "a grain, a green, and a bean" at meals. Most cultures that have been around for a long-*kitten* time and which enjoy some amount of longevity have some version of this, for good reason: it's cheap and nutritious, and contains sufficient (and complete) protein. Think rice and tofu, rice and lentils, pita with hummus, rice and peas, bread and peanut butter (depending on quality of PB and quality of bread), rice and black beans. Other grains that work: quinoa, freekeh, amaranth, oats... if you want to really "eat like your ancestors", whole grains and legumes all the way! (paleo people come at me.)

And lest you still have doubts, here's one of many good lists out there: https://greatist.com/health/complete-vegetarian-proteins

By the way, I just ate a super filling meal of sauteed/steamed broccoli, carrots, and mushrooms in olive oil. If I hadn't added so much olive oil, my macros would have been on point: my carb:fat:protein ratios were 30:55:15 for this meal. So even without trying, my protein intake was 15%, or 17g. Just from veggies! *puffs out chest proudly*

Lastly, and you'll see this on many vegetarian websites: we don't need as much protein as our protein-obsessed culture would have us think. Again, I refer you to vegan body builders. But there are also protein powders out there, if you're really worried.
  • dietstokes
    dietstokes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Soy in whole food or minimally processed forms (tempeh, seitan, tofu) are generally fine for you. Its the soy that is added in the seriously processed foods (do I really need soy in my chips?) that will get you into trouble. Only time this might not be the case is if you have a hormone issue (under treatment of doctor) or there was some research years ago on possible link of soy and breast cancer to those with a specific gene...I feel like this was debunked though, but not sure. I cook 2 blocks of tofu a week. Cube it and brown it in the pan and then add it to a variety of meals such as over top salads, mixed in pasta dishes, over lettuce and rice for a "taco" etc. Once i cut up up and cube it, I pretty much add it to meals the way someone would add chicken or another meat. Good luck! If you are eating adequate calories, you are most likely not deficient in protein though. I also have protein shakes or protein waffles made from protein powder, but only b/c I really like them.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,847 Member
    Options
    I'm somewhat familiar with the soy-foods/estrogen question from the breast cancer side of things. I had the type of breast cancer tumors that thrive on estrogen, and for which estrogen blocking treatment of some type is prescribed. I'm also vegetarian, and have been so for 43 years. Consequently, I've followed research in this area fairly closely.

There's not a definitive research answer yet, but it is looking increasingly as if moderate soy food consumption is safe. Here's the sort of thing the American Cancer Society is saying these days.
    For the breast cancer survivor, current research finds no harmful effects from eating soy foods. These foods may even help tamoxifen work better. There is less known about the effects of soy supplements.

(From https://www.cancer.org/treatment/survivorship-during-and-after-treatment/staying-active/nutrition/nutrition-and-physical-activity-during-and-after-cancer-treatment.html)

The American Institute for Cancer Research (a mainstream source) says:
    Because soy contains estrogen-like compounds, there was fear that soy may raise risk of hormone-related cancers. Evidence shows this is not true. Soy’s possible effects on health is an active area of research.

(From http://www.aicr.org/foods-that-fight-cancer/soy.html)

RDs I've read seem to think that something around 10mg of soy isoflavones per day should be OK, which, depending on specific food choices, would probably be about 2-3 servings of soy foods.

I'm not saying "more is bad". I'm just reporting the advice I'm seeing given to a potentially-sensitive group.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,847 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    My favorite tip for new vegetarians is to stop thinking just in terms of "one big protein per meal" as meat-eaters tend to do. Instead, look for protein containing foods you like in every category and role.

If you want to thicken soup or sauce, use pureed white beans instead of flour. If you want crunch on your salad, use pepitas or other seeds/nuts instead of croutons. Prefer protein containing veggies & fruits over those with less. Use quinoa instead of rice. Pick higher-protein bread. Prefer protein-y snacks like crispy chickpeas, dry-roasted soybeans or even nuts in reasonable portions. Etc.

When logging on MFP, review your diary regularly, looking for foods that contribute relatively many calories but little protein, and consider alternatives you enjoy that better support your goals.

You'll be surprised how these little bits through your day will add up.

Also, for anyone losing weight, the thread below is a great resource for anyone. It links to as spreadsheet that lists many, many foods by protein efficiency - most protein for fewest calories. Yes, there are mostly meat-y/fish-y things near the top. Keep scrolling, the veg items are there.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

Protein is important, but don't forget other essential nutrients that can be a little more challenging to get from plant sources, such as calcium and vitamins D/B6/B12.

Watch out for extreme advice on some veg advocacy sites that twist science to support their prejudices. @janejellyroll has offered some really good, sensible vegan nutrition links on various threads, but there are seriously propaganda ones out there.

P.S. As a long term (43 years) vegetarian, having read a bunch of primary research, I personally think we need more protein than average when losing weight, when athletically active (especially but not exclusively when strength training), when aging, and when vegetarian.

Why so when vegetarian? Because we tend to get relatively more of our protein grams from sources that are incomplete (in terms of essential amino acids), so it's important both to vary those sources, and get a few extra grams for insurance.

Just my opinion. Personally, I like a minimum of 0.6-0.8g per pound (yes, pound, not kg) of healthy goal weight. In maintenance, I get at least 100g daily for a 120 pound goal weight.

Edited: missing word.
  • KaroshiQueen
    KaroshiQueen Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I'm a new vegetarian myself, trying to go vegan eventually. Everyone here has given great advice on how to get more protein from regular food. I have a tough time getting enough protein myself (sometimes because I'm just lazy) so I always have Quest Bars (vegetarian but not vegan) and Vega protein powder (vegan) in the house for those days when I'm low or don't feel like cooking any veggies. Feel free to add me as a friend!