Whats the logic behind this calculations?

Options
2»

Replies

• tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I find my activity tracker does the same thing if I enable negative adjustments. It's like the + / - sign gets inverted if the activity tracker thinks you've burned more calories than MFP does. For this reason I do not enable negative calorie adjustments. Given I set my activity to "sedentary" it shouldn't be possible to get them anyway.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,925 Member
    Options
    I see double Pacer adjustments. Sometimes it pays to disconnect all apps log off on all apps. Log on again and re-connect them. Ideally you should only get a single Pacer adjustment a day.

Make sure the time zones match on all your apps.

MFP splits your chosen activity level (and calories) in 1440 minutes, and assigns you the same number of calories per minute of day or night.

Most activity trackers give you more calories when active and less calories when less active. In other words they give you variable calories throughout the day.

If you go to bed or become inactive before midnight you will "lose" calories you thought you had gained by being comparatively more active during the day.

The "adjustment" between tracker and MFP is final as of midnight.

@tomteboda MFP sedentary is BMR x 1.25 When sleeping you may be spending as little as 1x BMR
    Thus you can easily have a -0.25 x BMR adjustment from sedentary.
  • flemmingss
    flemmingss Posts: 32 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    okey.
    I mostly do all my walking in the day/worktime and most of my eating in the evening.
    How can i control this if MFP just assume that I walk the same amount of steps the whole day?

And the timezones looks correct
  • SarahLascelles1
    SarahLascelles1 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Negative adjustment is weird. When I had it switched on, I'd lose calories for going for a walk, but not for sitting on the settee. There's no version of reality in which that worked, so I switched it off.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I see double Pacer adjustments. Sometimes it pays to disconnect all apps log off on all apps. Log on again and re-connect them. Ideally you should only get a single Pacer adjustment a day.

Make sure the time zones match on all your apps.

MFP splits your chosen activity level (and calories) in 1440 minutes, and assigns you the same number of calories per minute of day or night.

Most activity trackers give you more calories when active and less calories when less active. In other words they give you variable calories throughout the day.

If you go to bed or become inactive before midnight you will "lose" calories you thought you had gained by being comparatively more active during the day.

The "adjustment" between tracker and MFP is final as of midnight.

@tomteboda MFP sedentary is BMR x 1.25 When sleeping you may be spending as little as 1x BMR
    Thus you can easily have a -0.25 x BMR adjustment from sedentary.

You aren't understanding the problem. If I take no steps, my step tracker adjustment is 0 with negative calorie adjustments enabled. If I walk
    2,500 steps, MFP says I've broken even .

Any steps more than that and MFP takes away calories from me. By the time I get to 15,000 steps (about my daily average), MFP tells me I've LOST over 600 calories.

Of course since my goal is <1800 that means it bottoms out at 1200 every day (my net goal is 1360 to maintain).

With negative calorie adjustments enabled, MFP always takes away calories instead of adding them for activity for me. This has happened for over a year and is incredibly frustrating. It happens as soon as Shealth says that I've burned more calories than MFP's activity setting does. I believe that there is a code error in the communication with Shealth (my activity tracker).

I disabled negative adjustments, put MFP on sedentary, and went to only counting steps, not logging specific exercises. This is at least consistent and doesn't end with MFP talking me day after day that at 5'9" and 155 lbs and 15,000 steps that I can only eat 1200 calories.