Seemingly drasticly different caloric needs- day over day

Options
Ready2Getcut
Ready2Getcut Posts: 68 Member
edited August 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
In addition to logging my food intake here, I keep a spreadsheet on my pc where I record how I feel physically- several times a day. Yesterday I felt rock-solid the entire day, exercised ( nothing intense), and came in under my daily caloric goal.

Today- I ate over my caloric goal. I almost crashed this morning on the way to a meeting, ended up feeling WIPED out by late afternoon, took a long nap (which I never do), got up and still felt horrible...... and felt like I was going to crash again around 5:00 PM.....and now it's 9:30, and I am wiped out and getting crash symptoms again ( nausea, lungs burning, body fatigued/muscles burning, headache, pressure behind eyes). And I didn't exercise today.

I don't get it? Do your caloric needs ever change day-to-day, like this?

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Usually not that drastically unless there was a big difference in workout.

But - how big a deficit are you attempting to take?

And I merely ask this because many misunderstand how MFP works - are you logging exercise when done and eating back the calories?
  • Ready2Getcut
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Usually not that drastically unless there was a big difference in workout.

But - how big a deficit are you attempting to take?

And I merely ask this because many misunderstand how MFP works - are you logging exercise when done and eating back the calories?

"eating back the calories"...Not sure I know what that means. Do you mean: did I add the exercise as a negative caloric intake, and then allow myself to eat additional calories while still staying under my daily caloric goals?

If it helps any at all, I exercised late in the day yesterday- like from 7-8 PM- but slept through the night and woke up feeling rested ( and not depleted).

I'm only doing a 500 cal deficit!
  • heybales
    Options
    MFP sets your eating goal based on that 500 cal deficit from your estimated non-exercise daily activity calorie burn.

But when you do more, you should eat more.

So when you log your exercise - you will see that MFP raises your eating goal - so that 500 cal deficit remains.
    I hope you didn't add exercise as negative calories.

Many people start out thinking that sounds wrong or don't understand - so while they follow the first MFP eating suggestion - they don't follow the second MFP eating suggestion.

But you don't stay under your goals - you meet your goals.

Your daily goals workout or not already has the deficit in it when you meet it.
    Just basically confirming you are eating to the stated goal, even after logging exercise.
  • Ready2Getcut
    edited August 2017
    Options
    MFP sets your eating goal based on that 500 cal deficit from your estimated non-exercise daily activity calorie burn.

But when you do more, you should eat more.

So when you log your exercise - you will see that MFP raises your eating goal - so that 500 cal deficit remains.
    I hope you didn't add exercise as negative calories.

Many people start out thinking that sounds wrong or don't understand - so while they follow the first MFP eating suggestion - they don't follow the second MFP eating suggestion.

But you don't stay under your goals - you meet your goals.

Your daily goals workout or not already has the deficit in it when you meet it.
    Just basically confirming you are eating to the stated goal, even after logging exercise.

Yesterday- I "ate under" the calculated calorie goal (which included my exercise calories burnt) -by 281 calories. I felt fine.

Today, I ate over my caloric goal by 319 calories, and I was physically miserable- and I still feel depleted. I didn't exercise today.

And it's not just the numbers- it's the drastic difference in how I felt physically. Yesterday was manageable and sustainable. Today was horrible. I can't function in such a way.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    This happens to me after I've skipped a bunch of meals due to my crazy schedule. I don't really track my intake. I just let my job create a deficit for me. (note, I do not recommend this for the majority of people!) But I find after I've built up too big of a deficit (usually after multiple long work days with many skipped meals), I crash hard and am ravenous all day long. I then off set this with sleeping all day to try to bring my energy levels back up.

You might just be in too great of a deficit or are pushing your body too hard. Take a rest day from the gym or alternate your intensity levels. You might also need to replenish with carbs if you've had a hard workout and are limiting the amount you eat.
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    When you eat quite a bit under your calories (on top on not eating back exercise calories) it's not going to hit you that day, but it will catch up to you the next day or two. Especially since you have a history of these crash symptoms you should really be careful that you're eating enough while maintaining a healthy deficit.

Which Activity Level did you select when you got your MFP calorie goal?
  • Ready2Getcut
    Options
    Cbean08 wrote: »
    This happens to me after I've skipped a bunch of meals due to my crazy schedule. I don't really track my intake. I just let my job create a deficit for me. (note, I do not recommend this for the majority of people!) But I find after I've built up too big of a deficit (usually after multiple long work days with many skipped meals), I crash hard and am ravenous all day long. I then off set this with sleeping all day to try to bring my energy levels back up.

You might just be in too great of a deficit or are pushing your body too hard. Take a rest day from the gym or alternate your intensity levels. You might also need to replenish with carbs if you've had a hard workout and are limiting the amount you eat.

You may be right- I have noticed the cumulative effect of a day-over-day deficit. It's like it builds up and all of the sudden- BAM! ...I thought I was eating plenty.

Interesting that you mention carbs- I'm getting most or all of my carbs basically from quinoa and vegetable sources. No rice, no wheat or oats ( I did eat potatoes earlier this week).
  • Ready2Getcut
    edited August 2017
    Options
    When you eat quite a bit under your calories (on top on not eating back exercise calories) it's not going to hit you that day, but it will catch up to you the next day or two. Especially since you have a history of these crash symptoms you should really be careful that you're eating enough while maintaining a healthy deficit.

Which Activity Level did you select when you got your MFP calorie goal?

You're right about it "catching up to you"... but I really thought I was eating plenty lol

I selected "sedentary" and then subtracted 500 from maintenance calories...( and then I think I even rounded UP to 2100, so it's not even a 500 cal deficit!)

My daily caloric goal is 2100 calories (this is approximately 500 calories under my "sedentary" maintenance calories).
    Yesterday, I consumed 2258 calories, but burned 439 calories during exercise. This left me with an additional 281calorie deficit.

Today I was over by 319 calories and didn't exercise.

• Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options

You may be right- I have noticed the cumulative effect of a day-over-day deficit. It's like it builds up and all of the sudden- BAM! ...I thought I was eating plenty.

Interesting that you mention carbs- I'm getting most or all of my carbs basically from quinoa and vegetable sources. No rice, no wheat or oats ( I did eat potatoes earlier this week).

I don't think the type of carb matters. I don't have a lot of variety in my carb sources and quinoa is a great option anyways.

After I workout, I like to eat fruit or carrots (simple carbs) to give my body a quick energy boost.

If you are still losing weight at a decent pace, try upping your calories on the days you exercise. This might prevent you from crashing on the days you don't.
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    It seems like your calorie goal is reasonable. When you select Sedentary, it truly means people who sit all day and don't move much. MFP calorie goals are calculated before exercise, so when you do some you should log it, then eat back at least a portion of those calories. I know you said you didn't do anything intense, but combined with eating under your target - seems like you didn't get enough to fuel you the next day.

I have learned for me that I what I eat seems to fuel the next day, or next couple of days, so it's almost like I'm eating for tomorrow. It's all about finding the sweet spot of calories and exercise that will minimize your crash symptoms while still losing weight. Best wishes!
  • Ready2Getcut
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Cbean08 wrote: »

I don't think the type of carb matters. I don't have a lot of variety in my carb sources and quinoa is a great option anyways.

After I workout, I like to eat fruit or carrots (simple carbs) to give my body a quick energy boost.

If you are still losing weight at a decent pace, try upping your calories on the days you exercise. This might prevent you from crashing on the days you don't.
    It seems like your calorie goal is reasonable. When you select Sedentary, it truly means people who sit all day and don't move much. MFP calorie goals are calculated before exercise, so when you do some you should log it, then eat back at least a portion of those calories. I know you said you didn't do anything intense, but combined with eating under your target - seems like you didn't get enough to fuel you the next day.

I have learned for me that I what I eat seems to fuel the next day, or next couple of days, so it's almost like I'm eating for tomorrow. It's all about finding the sweet spot of calories and exercise that will minimize your crash symptoms while still losing weight. Best wishes!

OK, thanks you guys- it's really helpful to hear your input!
  • Ready2Getcut
    Options
    I find that intense exercise is more likely to make me feel hungry the following day rather than on the day of.

Interesting! ok thanks
  • Ready2Getcut
    Options
    Can you guys see my food /exercise diary? Just curious
  • Ready2Getcut
    edited August 2017
    Options
    OK.....so I'm finally getting the concept. When I am already in a calorie deficit-- even if it's only 500 calories-- I really need to "eat back" the calories I've earned during exercise. That's so counter-intuitive!
    But I get it now.
    Thank you
  • heybales
    edited August 2017
    Options
    It's because every other site has you include planned exercise in a weekly average.

Then they take a deficit.

So you better do the workout, or you might not have a deficit. That's what most have seen before.

But many people have iffy schedules, or aren't motivated to do what they said they would do - that's why MFP uses the literal exercise method.
    This is called NEAT method usually, though that's not entirely right - daily non-exercise TDEE method would be more correct.
    Other method is called average weekly TDEE method.

Also about Sedentary, this is around 3000-4000 steps, we are talking about bump on a log for work and after and on weekends.
    This means no kids, little in household duties requiring activity, ect.
    Exercise is the only extra thing you do.

If none of that is true - you are probably Lightly Active as most discover when they get an activity tracker, even before being motivated to move more.

So you still could have a bigger deficit than you think.

About logging exercise calories - what are your workouts?

The database entries that include intensity levels (3 mph walk, 6 mph jog, bike 12-15 mph, ect) can be trusted if you really did that pace the whole time claimed.
    Entries with no descriptions (Spin bike, aerobics class) are iffy, if you did it the way the class is taught (like really hammered it during spin class as the instructors have you do the entire time) - then it counts.
    But be honest - if 5 min warmup, 5 min cooldown, and 5 min stretching within the 60 min class - that's only 45 min of actually Spin bike for instance.

Lifting and Circuit training is right on if you don't include distracted talking in the time claimed.

Just that kind of honesty.

With your BMR around 2000, there is a difference with daily burn estimate being Sedentary 2500 or Lightly active 2800.

300 calories right there if actually Lightly active.
    500 deficit taken, or bigger if you weren't reaching eating goal.
    Unknown extra deficit if no exercise calories were eaten back.

You may have had closer to a 1000 cal deficit or greater depending on actual daily activity level (you are 10 hr drive to/from work which is desk job for majority of day at least? which doesn't mean sedentary daily level).

How many pounds away from goal weight?
    500 could be too much if only say 15 lbs is left to healthy weight.

And yes - diary entries are visible - and those exercise entries are correct if that was actual speed.
    If between speeds, go down in speed so less calorie burn.
  • Ready2Getcut
    edited August 2017
    Options
    It's because every other site has you include planned exercise in a weekly average.

Then they take a deficit.

So you better do the workout, or you might not have a deficit. That's what most have seen before.

But many people have iffy schedules, or aren't motivated to do what they said they would do - that's why MFP uses the literal exercise method.
    This is called NEAT method usually, though that's not entirely right - daily non-exercise TDEE method would be more correct.
    Other method is called average weekly TDEE method.

Also about Sedentary, this is around 3000-4000 steps, we are talking about bump on a log for work and after and on weekends.
    This means no kids, little in household duties requiring activity, ect.
    Exercise is the only extra thing you do.

If none of that is true - you are probably Lightly Active as most discover when they get an activity tracker, even before being motivated to move more.

So you still could have a bigger deficit than you think.

About logging exercise calories - what are your workouts?

The database entries that include intensity levels (3 mph walk, 6 mph jog, bike 12-15 mph, ect) can be trusted if you really did that pace the whole time claimed.
    Entries with no descriptions (Spin bike, aerobics class) are iffy, if you did it the way the class is taught (like really hammered it during spin class as the instructors have you do the entire time) - then it counts.
    But be honest - if 5 min warmup, 5 min cooldown, and 5 min stretching within the 60 min class - that's only 45 min of actually Spin bike for instance.

Lifting and Circuit training is right on if you don't include distracted talking in the time claimed.

Just that kind of honesty.

With your BMR around 2000, there is a difference with daily burn estimate being Sedentary 2500 or Lightly active 2800.

300 calories right there if actually Lightly active.
    500 deficit taken, or bigger if you weren't reaching eating goal.
    Unknown extra deficit if no exercise calories were eaten back.

You may have had closer to a 1000 cal deficit or greater depending on actual daily activity level (you are 11 hr drive to/from work which is desk job for majority of day at least? which doesn't mean sedentary daily level).

How many pounds away from goal weight?
    500 could be too much if only say 15 lbs is left to healthy weight.

I understand. I keep a spreadsheet- along with my food journal here- wherein I enter exercise calories as "negative" calories, and it matches my daily total here on MFP, so I just tend to think of it that way- exercise calories are "negative" calories. And you are right- I could have been closer to a 1000 cumulative calorie deficit, as I had exercised the two previous days and my metabolic rate was "up" compared to usual(?)

Most of my exercise is low intensity right now. I'm trying to keep my system balanced and avoid the "crashes" I tend to experience. I know the distance I walk and track the time, so I can can calculate the MPH. Also, often I walk on an uneven, grassy surface ( it's not quite like walking in sand, but far more challenging than walking on a hard surface) in addition to walking briskly, so I add another .5 MPH to that particular exercise when logging the type of exercise.

I'm almost 40 pounds away from a healthy weight right now. I was 292 this morning, and would like to be at 255. I am looking for that "sweet spot" where I can avoid the crashing/ill feeling and still loose weight at a rewarding rate. I think that the key- as you mention- to get really precise about logging. Does that make sense?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Your needs don't change drastically unless your activity level changes drastically, but your hunger may as well have a mind of its own. I'm like that. There are days where I eat up to 1000 calories under what MFP wants me to eat and days where I eat 1000 calories over what it wants me to eat. I just keep a tally of my extra/debt calories and use any extra on days where I'm particularly hungry and make up for any debt on days where I'm fine with a lower intake. You could do it right on web app if you want everything to calculate automatically. Example:
    1. I need to eat 1500 net calories. One day I wasn't hungry and ate 1000 net. At the end of the day MFP will show "Remaining" calories as 500.
    2. I woke up hungry next day and felt I needed more food. I basically eat to my calories, and if by the end of the day I still feel I need more I just go to yesterday, look at remaining calories, use the quick add tool, and enter "-500" in the box. This will automatically give me 500 more calories for today. If you don't use them all, you can just carry them over to next day in perpetuum if you wish. If you use them all up plus some, you can carry any debt to next day but use a positive number in the quick add box.
    3. Basically: negative numbers for leftover calories and positive numbers for debt calories.

If you need screenshot examples let me know.
  • heybales
    Options
    Low impact is good idea - though some resistance workouts would be mighty beneficial too.

1 lb weekly for 40 lbs left is indeed reasonable, it's the extra that was probably getting ya.

And perhaps you have a problem with insulin spikes, going to high, causing resulting too low blood sugar.
    If you think might be problem, merely try eating proteins and fat in meals first (if possible), carbs last. See if a difference.

I think getting the real deficit closer to 500 will cause some positive effects too.

Otherwise some blood work might be in order.
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Not sure if mentioned but stress and sleep make a huge difference for me. Food choice does also.