What piece of advice helped you break through?

Options
Sometimes, it's something a bit obscure or mundane that someone says that suddenly makes a difference in how we relate to food. Other times, it's a gloriously epic motto or mantra that helps shape and steer our thinking and behavior. What has really resonated with you as you seek to change habits?

Here's mine: I shared with my nutritionist that I was currently satisfied eating primarily meat and veggies, but I didn't quite trust that this way of eating could last a lifetime. (It needs to because of health issues.) I was terribly afraid of the day when meat and veggies didn't appeal any more, and worried that the urge to gorge on high carb and fried foods might one day overwhelm me again. With my long history of bad eating habits, how could I dare to believe that this behavior would stay in my past?

She proceeded to tell me the story of her Italian father, who was now elderly. In his youth, he had been too round, and as a young adult he decided to change that. He stopped eating pasta and bread, and ate only meat and veggies, with very few exceptions. This way of eating satisfied him and he maintained a proper weight the rest of his life. He lost his desire for pasta and bread, and developed a heightened appreciation for vegetables. The way she loving talked about her father, and the way she painted a picture of this happy man who loved growing and eating his own veggies really touched me and sparked my imagination. He was content, and had been for decades. No fear, no worries, no relapses. It could be done.

That story brought me such relief, and the first real sense of hope I had ever felt about my future relationship with food. I don't even know his name, but this content little old Italian man has become my hero, and he makes me feel safe and strong.

Replies

• sofchak
    sofchak Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, it's something a bit obscure or mundane that someone says that suddenly makes a difference in how we relate to food. Other times, it's a gloriously epic motto or mantra that helps shape and steer our thinking and behavior. What has really resonated with you as you seek to change habits?

Here's mine: I shared with my nutritionist that I was currently satisfied eating primarily meat and veggies, but I didn't quite trust that this way of eating could last a lifetime. (It needs to because of health issues.) I was terribly afraid of the day when meat and veggies didn't appeal any more, and worried that the urge to gorge on high carb and fried foods might one day overwhelm me again. With my long history of bad eating habits, how could I dare to believe that this behavior would stay in my past?

She proceeded to tell me the story of her Italian father, who was now elderly. In his youth, he had been too round, and as a young adult he decided to change that. He stopped eating pasta and bread, and ate only meat and veggies, with very few exceptions. This way of eating satisfied him and he maintained a proper weight the rest of his life. He lost his desire for pasta and bread, and developed a heightened appreciation for vegetables. The way she loving talked about her father, and the way she painted a picture of this happy man who loved growing and eating his own veggies really touched me and sparked my imagination. He was content, and had been for decades. No fear, no worries, no relapses. It could be done.

That story brought me such relief, and the first real sense of hope I had ever felt about my future relationship with food. I don't even know his name, but this content little old Italian man has become my hero, and he makes me feel safe and strong.

Thanks for sharing this story - what really resonated with me from it is the amazing amount of determination that must come with avoiding pasta and bread as an Italian. My step-mom is Italian and when I told her that it was determined that I needed to go gluten free for health reasons, her response was "then what can you eat?" with sheer concern that I will starve to death! Lol

To go against normal societal trends takes an extra level of grit - if this little, round Italian man can do it, surely we all can, too!

• Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    My mother who was a quadriplegic and in her final days said "Who's going to take care of your son if something happens to you?"
  • Krystalleigh1982
    Krystalleigh1982 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Best advice I got was "Not all calories are equal" it forced me to look more into what I was eating and where the calories are coming from to get better results....

For example I eat 25% protine 25% fat and 50% carbs which at first I was skeptical cause we are told carbs are bad for weight loss BUT

What I learned is every gram of far had 9calories and carbs and protein both have 4 calories per gram... so if your eating the right amount of calories but not monitoring where those calories are coming from you could be eating most of your calories in the wrong macronutrient category and that's why your stuck!
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Krystalleigh: Most people agree that all calories are equal, but protein, fat and carbs can have very different effects on your body, your emotions and the functioning of brain. Finding the right balance varies from person to person, but it's crucial to find what's right for you, especially when you're restricting calories. The right balance will make you feel satisfied and able to stick with your plan. The wrong balance can potentially trigger inappropriate urges to eat.
  • CynthiasChoice
    Options
    My mother who was a quadriplegic and in her final days said "Who's going to take care of your son if something happens to you?"

I can understand why that would have a big impact on you. When my time comes, I hope I will have the presence of mind to say something meaningful to my kids before I go.
  • CynthiasChoice
    Options
    sofchak wrote: »

Thanks for sharing this story - what really resonated with me from it is the amazing amount of determination that must come with avoiding pasta and bread as an Italian. My step-mom is Italian and when I told her that it was determined that I needed to go gluten free for health reasons, her response was "then what can you eat?" with sheer concern that I will starve to death! Lol

To go against normal societal trends takes an extra level of grit - if this little, round Italian man can do it, surely we all can, too!

So true!
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    sofchak wrote: »

True. Mind you, in many parts of Italy they serve cold meat and pickles (antipasti) first, then the pasta and the meat as two separate courses, so you can just skip one course out of three. Easier than when it all comes on one plate.

There have been a number of things that have helped me, but I remember when I was referred to a dietitian, her saying that people don't get obese by gross overeating, it can be as little as one extra chocolate biscuit a day. She told me how much extra weight that represented. I can't remember her figures but it must be in the range of a stone (14lb) every two years. That's pretty close to the rate at which I gained. It really made me sit up and listen and put the thing in perspective - it's not about extreme measures, it's just about undoing slight overeating by means of eating slightly less, consistently, over a long period.

• CynthiasChoice
    Options
    For me, it wasn't advice as such, it was when my boyfriend said, "we can get cake if we go for a walk first." We are trying to lose weight together, but I have a really sweet tooth and I'm always the one asking for something or another. I don't really enjoy most exercise but I love walking. So, doing it to get some tasty food that I love? I'm in! I know it sounds a little silly, but it made me realise that I don't have to deprive myself of all the things I enjoy (which is what I had been trying to do and making myself very frustrated), I just have to have them in moderation and do a little more work to make space for them.

There were so many times in previous weight loss attempts that I thought it would be okay to cheat a little here and a little there and get away with it. It really just sabotaged my efforts to learn new habits. Good for you for staying honest with yourself! Nice boyfriend :)
  • MossiO
    MossiO Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Logging my food, without even restricting it, was the first big step for me. Being brutally honest and accountable to myself for what I was putting in my mouth made me realize that I am in control.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    The actual proper realisation that I *can* have my cake, eat it, and still lose weight.

Also taking in the many people on here saying words to the effect of "log it and move on" and "forgive yourself" if people slip up. Actually doing these things has helped so much.