Do you eat your fitness calories?

Options

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    At this time, my workout calories will be chosen among a variety of foods. It'll depend how many grams of protein I need, with an egg offering 6, 1/2 cup of ice cream having 4, a granola bar having 10, a slice of ham having 14, and a protein shake having 34.
  • starryphoenix
    starryphoenix Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I try to eat half. If I'm super hungry I'll just eat them all back. I try to eat something with high protein and fiber.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Do you eat your fitness/workout calories? I'm set at 1200 calories but on a good workout I can burn 500. I'm not sure if eating those calories can inhibit my weightloss.

Yes. MFP put me at 1910 calories per day, and if I burn extra calories through exercise or unusual work, them I eat more calories. Half of workout calories has been suggested as a good amount to aim for as extra.
  • Polo265
    Polo265 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Yes - I eat most of them. I'm also on 1200 calories to lose only .7 lbs a week. While I mostly trust my Fitbit, the exercise calories I earn aren't very strenuous. I mostly walk around to gain steps - sometimes I jog in place. So, I don't eat them all - just most.
  • texteach66
    texteach66 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. I'm a teacher and it's summer, so I'm more sedentary and have tended to let my exercise calories help my deficit because I don't want to switch my setting to sedentary.

Having said that, it's rare that I eat all of them anyway, more likely to eat half or less.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    No. I stick to my 1800 calorie daily goal. When I workout and burn a few hundred calories that's GREAT!...added bonus I guess.
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1430 cal/day. I usually don't but their nice to have just in case I'm off on my food measuring.
    I plan to use them as my fitness level and exercise time and effort increases.
    I'm 45lbs down with 80 to go.
  • NikosEspada
    NikosEspada Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I don't, I see it as an added bonus.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    Why would you not? I just don't understand the mentality of some of you. Eat every Goddamned f'ing morsel while still achieving the results you want.

Some people are just masochistic I'm sure, but I know that for me, my main exercise is 20 minutes of brisk walking a day, which isn't really intense enough to noticeably effect my appetite or caloric needs. I mean, I guess I could eat another 100 calories, but that's within standard deviation most days anyhow. I suspect many people who are only modestly active don't bother for similar reasons.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I do, but then I generally walk at least 2 hours daily and strength train three times/week. And many days I walk more. I eat back half.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I used to eat back 50-75% of my exercise calories, depending on my hunger, to allow for inaccuracies in logging and estimated calorie burn. Now that I am maintaining I eat back all of them, unless I will explode from overeating if I do.
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Not generally. My adjustment for activity tracker info is always wildly high. I may go slightly over my usual limit, but not often.
  • Nmork21
    Nmork21 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Do you eat your fitness/workout calories? I'm set at 1200 calories but on a good workout I can burn 500. I'm not sure if eating those calories can inhibit my weightloss.

A weight lifting body of mine always jokes. He says "dude, I love working out because I love to eat!" Meaningless to say, my friend spends up to 2 to 3 hours in a gym almost every day. So, I'd say he really loves to eat...and he is in really good shape!