Getting over a "cheat week"?

Options
So I was on holidays last week. To say I cheated was an understatement. I ate everything in site, ate out most nights with some sort of fast food. Ice cream, chocolate you name it I ate it. I'm to scared to even look at the scales, my only saving grace was I did continue my weight lifting program during this week long binge.

I just feel like I've done so much damage, have you ever done this?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Just go back to your normal routine. If you dread going back to your normal routine, figure out why you don't want to do that, and whether you should have another routine.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Yes but I do it intentionally every year when I go on a 2 week holiday (not calling it a cheat whatever). I usually gain 4lbs of fat plus 2lbs of water. Sadly it takes me 2 months to lose 4lbs but it's worth it.
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Mostly everyone here has been in comparable situations. A holiday, a long family meet up, an illness or injury, bad personal stress, all of this can lead or even force you out of your routine for a while. Go back.
    Go back now. If you dread the damage so much, then don't measure it for now. When you feel that you are steady in your routine again, measure out the "damage". And then go on with life an routine. It was worth it, wasn't it?
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Yep. But what's done is done. And now it's over. Right now, you need to plan how you will handle it next time. And now, you just start fresh again.
  • dave_in_ni
    dave_in_ni Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I'm back to work on Monday, and work = routine so all will be back to normal. I just feel so bad for doing it though but it was fun at the time
  • dave_in_ni
    Options
    skymningen wrote: »
    Mostly everyone here has been in comparable situations. A holiday, a long family meet up, an illness or injury, bad personal stress, all of this can lead or even force you out of your routine for a while. Go back.
    Go back now. If you dread the damage so much, then don't measure it for now. When you feel that you are steady in your routine again, measure out the "damage". And then go on with life an routine. It was worth it, wasn't it?

Worth it? Not sure fun yes. I had 2 BK King whoppers in 1 go, I dread to think the calories in them
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    In a week, no damage done. It's all water. Get back to your routine and the weight will come off fast.

This. Get over it and stop beating yourself up! The cortisol from all that guilt will be worse than what you ate. :D

A break like this can actually be beneficial mentally and hormonally. See attached article. http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html/

You did it. You enjoyed it. It was a holiday. Let that *kitten* go!! B)
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I went home for a two week visit in June and freestyled my food and kept up with my workouts. I didn't go all out as it seems you did, but I gave myself two weeks at home back at my routine before I weighed again and said whatever happened happened and to just get back to it. I actually maintained so no harm done at all, just give yourself a little time to get back to normal before you weigh again and carry on.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    The past is in the past.

https://youtu.be/L0MK7qz13bU
  • Sassifrass76
    Sassifrass76 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am going on holiday to a food and wine festival for a week. Planning to eat all the things. Not planning to get on the scale for a month after returning and going right back to my routine. You can't beat yourself up over what is done. Just get right back to it and throw that guilt in the rubbish. If we cannot enjoy ourselves at least on holiday then what are we making all this effort for.
  • dave_in_ni
    Options
    filbo132 wrote: »
    1 week of cheating will set you back, but it takes long term of cheating to really make damage. You don't get fat overnight, just like you don't get skinny overnight. The worst it can do is set you back by a week or two. As long you get back to your routine, the rest will take care of itself. Just enjoy your vacation. The only time I would advise someone not to cheat during their vacation is if they have low discipline to the point that when they return, they still continue to binge on food because of how the vacation triggered them to eat more.

That's certainly not me. I actually can't wait to get back into it.
  • 92joann
    92joann Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I just had a weekend of eating whatever, it was 4 days and I was cool with that, it was planned in advance. And then I had another 2 days of takeaways because I was too tired to cook (too much time with other people). I gained about 8lbs, had a few days on plan and lost 5lbs. It's really not that bad, it's mostly water and any actual weight gain is usually only a couple lbs max. Get back into it as soon as you can, that's what matters!
  • KevHex
    KevHex Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    It's just one week. Life is long, just get back on with the plan today.
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    i was on a 4 week vacation and i ate like a pig. I dreaded getting on the scales, but once i did, i realized the damage was not as big as i thought it would be. And even if it had been, i know what i have to do to lose weight,it's not a big deal.
  • Mooma29
    Mooma29 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    This weekend my daughter got married. I realised sometime ago that it was going to be a struggle to stay in a deficit in the couple of weeks prior. lots to do, lots of celebrations and what have you. So I've just logged food regardless tried to fit my exercise in when I could and not worried when I couldn't. Got on the scales today and I'm up 4 pounds. But you know my girl will only have the one wedding and we had an absolute ball. it's important to look after yourself, but for me that has to includethe occasional splurge because life is short we should live it well. the secret I think is to park it and just get back to your routine when it's done. It will probably take me till this time next year to lose all the weight I want to. So if it takes me 54 weeks instead of 52 we'll it's hardly here or there is it? Don't worry you'll be fine