Basil basil basil

Options
aeg426
aeg426 Posts: 6 Member
I have so much basil coming out of my garden. I have made pesto and caprese salad. And I'd like to do something different. Does anybody have any recipes that use lots of basil?

Replies

• MidModJenn
    MidModJenn Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    This recipe is spectacular: http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/stewed-zucchini-with-garlic-basil-and-mint I'll warn you though, the zucchini cooks down to almost nothing so add another veggie side if you want a full meal. It says 6 servings, my husband and I can eat the whole thing between the two of us. :)
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I only have two pots of basil but I know what you mean. I just have been tossing fresh basil in lots of salads, hot veggies, etc. Anything that calls for parsley, try basil instead. Throw some in your eggs. Eventually, the heat will get the basil and the season will be over. About November, I again start to miss it terribly. LOL
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Here a Thai Chicken Basil recipe. We enjoyed it a lot. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2012/12/chicken-basil-cashew.html
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Tomato and basil soup
  • babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    ..watermellon, basil,Kalamata olives and mint salad..feta optional. .basil,ricotta,raisin,pine nut pasta..
  • ashbabe25
    ashbabe25 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    You can also lay it flat and freeze it on a baking sheet and toss it into a freezer bag. I always have enough basil to last me months once the season is over.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,113 Member
    Options
    A number of years ago, we stopped at a restaurant in Southern Vermont that had a basil farm associated with it. In addition to all the expected pesto and basil-tomato type dishes you'd expect to find as a result, they also served a sauteed basil-garlic pasta. Pretty much what you'd expect. Very much like an Italian salsa verde (not the Mexican, tomatillo-based salsa verde), except basil rather than parsley. Got me hooked on "green sauces" as a result (think chimichurri, etc.).

Doing something to make a simple green sauce or basil dressing out of it, is pretty easy (chuck the few ingredients into a blender and puree). Not just for caprese or other salads, but spooned over grilled meats and seafood. As I type this, I'm thinking: "green goddess dressing with basil, not parsley? Hmmm ....".

Last season, I tried home-drying some of our basil in the oven on very low heat. Yes, it dried. No, it wasn't great. I recently saw a "Good Eats" episode with Alton Brown doing a makeshift dryer out of a room fan, paper furnace filters and bungee cords. That treads on the border of genius and insanity, but I regularly see commercials for home-drying units. It's a pretty short season around here for fresh basil, but there's always winter coming - and as poster above says, it's easy to miss the basil when it's gone.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,113 Member
    Options
    mjbnj0001 wrote: »

As I type this, I'm thinking: "green goddess dressing with basil, not parsley? Hmmm ....".

I answered my own question. Not an original idea to subs basil for parsley in green goddess: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/bibb-salad-with-basil-green-goddess-dressing-recipe-1947516

Ina Garten used traditional mayo in the green goddess. I experiment with greek yogurt, buttermilk, etc., more like: http://www.simplysated.com/basil-green-goddess-dressing/

What did we do before google or other search engines, LOL?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Put it on and in everything. Maybe not pancakes, but everything else. Don't try to be reasonable.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    Options
    Basil and cheese bread? I'd chop it through the bread, don't put it on top like rosemary, or it'll get burnt.

I'd also make a few batches of pasta/pizza sauce.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
  • CattOfTheGarage
    Options
    Of course, you can always put basil in the ratatouille.

https://youtu.be/RV8i3oLmPfk
  • aeg426
    aeg426 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the great ideas. Can't wait to try them!
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I purée it with olive oil then freeze it. My husband loves pesto so it's ready to be made into pesto all year.

I have 13 sandwich bags full of frozen puréed basil already.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It's good on peaches & strawberries!