Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What do we really mean by "natty?"

Options
Christy1977Z
Christy1977Z Posts: 4 Member
What do we mean by "natty" these days? As a girl, I'm thinking particularly women, and the women we see/follow/become inspired by online and in social media.
Is it (performance enhancing) drug free?
Is it drug free, but with breast implants? Some physique competitors fit this category.
What if an athlete is drug free, with breast implants, botox & plastic surgery to look younger/prettier/whatever. Is that still natural?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    Webster's -
    Definition of natty
    nattier; nattiest : trimly neat and tidy : smart natty clothes a natty dresser

Urban Dictionary -
    natty
    originating from rastafarian culture. meaning 'good','cool' and most importantly, 'elite'.
    "hey, natty dreads mon"
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Natty isn't a term I have heard people using or use myself for natural.
    I only know the old definition of natty as being stylish or dapper.

I would think of someone who is "natural" as they probably don't have any surgery/implants or use drugs to alter their appearance or performance.
  • ManBehindTheMask
    ManBehindTheMask Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Natty = Drug Free

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    They use it in the lifting world to mean drug free
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

This is my understanding. Being we're on MFP that's what I think when I see it here.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

That's what I thought it meant. No PED's.

I never thought about it extending to implants or botox. Those are cosmetic enhancements that don't affect the bodybuilding aspect.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    In the competition world natty means PED free.

It also means no muscle implants. Plastic surgery (skin removal, breast lifts, etc.), breast implants, and botox are allowed.
  • lorriemb
    lorriemb Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Huh. Learns something new everyday. Never knew that natty meant anything other than a sharp dresser.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    lorriemb wrote: »
    Huh. Learns something new everyday. Never knew that natty meant anything other than a sharp dresser.

Me too. Wonder how it morphed from the older meaning to the current slang?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »

In the bodybuilding/fitness world PRE 1990, a lot of people used a PED in some format especially if they were competitors. Natural bodybuilders couldn't compete with PED users, so there were just contests where only "Non PED" users could compete. The "Natural" bodybuilders were soon deemed as "nattys" in the bodybuilding world.
    Almost all natty's that I have known to compete don't come in over 200lbs cut and dry, whereas it's NOT unusual for a PED user to come in a 220lbs to as high as 270lbs cut and dry. HUGE muscle mass difference obviously if they are coming in at single digit body fat numbers.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• mph323
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

In the bodybuilding/fitness world PRE 1990, a lot of people used a PED in some format especially if they were competitors. Natural bodybuilders couldn't compete with PED users, so there were just contests where only "Non PED" users could compete. The "Natural" bodybuilders were soon deemed as "nattys" in the bodybuilding world.
    Almost all natty's that I have known to compete don't come in over 200lbs cut and dry, whereas it's NOT unusual for a PED user to come in a 220lbs to as high as 270lbs cut and dry. HUGE muscle mass difference obviously if they are coming in at single digit body fat numbers.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Cool! Thanks for the history - and I learned something more about the body-building world. So my take-away is that "natty" to body-builders is an entirely different word than "natty" referring to style, not a morph or new meaning.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Natty in my area generally refers to the beer Natty Boh
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Cool! Thanks for the history - and I learned something more about the body-building world. So my take-away is that "natty" to body-builders is an entirely different word than "natty" referring to style, not a morph or new meaning.
    No problem! I was one of those back in the day who gave up competition after competing 7 times because I couldn't match the physiques of those on PED's since I competed as a "natty". I come in at 5'7" 155lbs ripped and guys the same weight class on PED's came in at 5' to 5'3". I looked like a skinny giant next to them.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• mph323
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

No problem! I was one of those back in the day who gave up competition after competing 7 times because I couldn't match the physiques of those on PED's since I competed as a "natty". I come in at 5'7" 155lbs ripped and guys the same weight class on PED's came in at 5' to 5'3". I looked like a skinny giant next to them.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

It's interesting that the body-building world took the pragmatic view that there are intrinsically two types of competitors, and separated them into different categories rather than trying to either force PED users to go underground or force natural competitors out of the competitions altogether.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    amtyrell wrote: »
    Natty in my area generally refers to the beer Natty Boh

I know a jazz singer who goes by this moniker. He is also natty is the sartorial sense of the word.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Natty = PED free.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Natty = PED free.

Theoretically anyway. Bear in mind that things like caffeine, nicotine, ephedrine, Cit Mal, beta-alanine, etc. can be considered PEDs. Hell, even baking soda has been shown to improve a lot of physical performance metrics when megadosed.

I've always found it amusing how arbitrary the lines that WADA draws can be. Caffeine has many proven performance enhancing benefits, yet is allowed. However Arimistane, which has been shown by countless amounts of bloodwork on steroid forums to have the OPPOSITE effect of what it's been claimed to do, was added to the banned list this year. It will never cease to amuse me.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I'm not familiar with Arimistane. Is that, by any chance, something that could be used to mask other PED usage? I know there are a few things - names are escaping me right now - that are on the list simply because they're masking agents.