Handstands and handbalances - share your story.

Options
2»

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Don't throw yourself up against the wall. Try placeing your hands into the right position and kick up :)

Kick up so that you're just to vertical... it takes some practice, but you want just enough momentum that you settle into the wall...

It will also give you good practices recovering out, since you'll not get all the way up about half the time...

Coming down, its just a slight push off the wall... and then recover into your rollout.
  • Titanuim
    Titanuim Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Loving seeing all the handstand action.

I find them highly addictive. The more I practice, the better I get and the more I want to do.

Another tip if you are learning is to practice by facing away from the wall, getting your hands into the right spot and then walking your legs up the wall until your body is parallel to the wall with just your toes touching. It is good for building up the strength and correct body position and building up confidence.

I find working on my L-sit also really helps with getting good core strength to hold a tight vertical position.

rumyem8zq0xi.png
    3vxr91fqdfu6.png
    gebggdr9e10i.png

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,991 Member
    Options
    I think that anyone who can do handstands, especially walking, is pretty awesome.

It's something that I'd like to be able to do BUT it is NOT something that I aspire to do.

A variety of reasons for this but mainly it's because I get headaches when blood rushes to my head when I just do elevated (2 ft or more) decline pushups.

Would only get worst if I raised my kegs even more BUT kudos to those of you who can do them!
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options

ugofatcat wrote: »
    How do you recommend preventing over arching? Keeping the core tight?

The fear of falling is my problem. I try to "throw" myself against the wall but always worry about hurting my heels so I don't commit. I end up just walking myself up the wall and holding. Just got to keep at it and be patient.

Thanks for the tips!

I do yoga, not gymnastics, so I'm not sure if this will help you, but ...

You want to pull your front ribs in. Think about pressing your upper ribs into your spine to avoid "banana back."

I used my couch and not a wall, to learn inversions. (The seated part, not the back.) it's enough to give me support, but not so much like the wall that I'm not learning. And if if flip over, there's less distance before my feet hit something solid.

Kino (yoga teacher) has a program on Cody App I love called "Journey to Handstand." Lots of shoulder and posture exercises to help prepare. You want to be intentional about how you get up there and not the throw yourself at the wall.
  • Titanuim
    Options
    Handstands make me happy

xqua7ywzrz4m.png

Body position less then ideal in this one but I was focusing hard on the one hand part

g452enwvp59o.png

Hollowback is my favourite :smile:

• Titanuim
    Options
    n7s1ie8lbvz7.jpg

Just amusing myself as I deleted my mfp account but seem to still exist on the forum like some scary ghost