New to Intermittent Fasting - plateau

Hello everyone! I realized working out alone will not help me reach my goal so recently I switched my diet to intermittent fasting. In two weeks I lost 14 pounds but at this point I have plateaued for 1 week. I'm Wondering if anyone else has gone through this and what they have done to get past it so they can lose more weight?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    You're not in a plateau. Weight loss isn't linear, and you aren't going to lose every week. You lost a lot of water weight the previous two weeks, so some of it likely returned and masked your actual loss. Keep to what you're doing and if you go a few more weeks without losing, then you'll want to look at your logging to see what you can tighten up.
  • 1dmealing
    1dmealing Posts: 9 Member
    Will do. I will keep doing what I'm doing and I will give it time. Thank you!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Intermittent fasting only has weight loss benefits if it helps you to stay on track with calories. There is no metabolic advantage for weight loss to IF. Sounds like you were expecting there was. It is a style of eating, not a weight loss tool.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,332 Member
    Congrats on the 14 pounds. Patience is a really good thing in weight loss. Keep doing the right things and it will happen.

I agree with the previous two posters. Stay in your calories, however you accomplish that. It's the one thing that matters.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    I am a long time IF practitioner. I have read a lot of the available literature, including peer reviewed studies on IF. I am not familiar with Dr. Berg but I would say if he is saying there is a direct causative relationship between IF and fat loss, that is not supported by the scientific literature. It is a tool for managing calorie intake and in that way has a correlation with fat loss for those employing this methodology in conjunction with a calorie deficit.

I would strongly suggest you search PubMed for studies on IF and see if any of them support a causative relationship with weight loss as opposed to watching someone on YouTube who may or may not be credible. Should you find any studies that support IF and direct fat loss results, please do post them.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    mmapags wrote: »
    I am a long time IF practitioner. I have read a lot of the available literature, including peer reviewed studies on IF. I am not familiar with Dr. Berg but I would say if he is saying there is a direct causative relationship between IF and fat loss, that is not supported by the scientific literature. It is a tool for managing calorie intake and in that way has a correlation with fat loss for those employing this methodology in conjunction with a calorie deficit.

I would strongly suggest you search PubMed for studies on IF and see if any of them support a causative relationship with weight loss as opposed to watching someone on YouTube who may or may not be credible. Should you find any studies that support IF and direct fat loss results, please do post them.

THIS!!! ^^

Another longtime IF-er, here, who uses it to help regulate my caloric intake. It has no scientifically proven benefits over-and-above that, though. :)
  • 1dmealing
    1dmealing Posts: 9 Member
    Ok thank you all. Something to study up on. Thank you again