Make my own frozen meals!!

Options
I have a question for members who make their own freezer meals. I want to make meals week by week.

1. Are Ziploc freezer containers ok to freeze in. And do they have to be full to the top or anything to prevent freezer burn.

2.Can i maybe freeze my meals in freezer bags lay them flat in the freezer saves on storage. And take 2 bags out the night before to unthaw then when Im ready to eat it dump it out on a plate and reheat in microwave or put in pan on stove and reheat.

3. Can I cook frozen veggies and put them in my meals and refreeze.

4. Can i take the meals out the night before and put them in the fridge to defrost before i reheat them or do they have to be cooked from frozen like the frozen meals you buy from the grocery store.

Thanks

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I have a question for members who make their own freezer meals. I want to make meals week by week.

1. Are Ziploc freezer containers ok to freeze in. And do they have to be full to the top or anything to prevent freezer burn.

2.Can i maybe freeze my meals in freezer bags lay them flat in the freezer saves on storage. And take 2 bags out the night before to unthaw then when Im ready to eat it dump it out on a plate and reheat in microwave or put in pan on stove and reheat.

3. Can I cook frozen veggies and put them in my meals and refreeze.

4. Can i take the meals out the night before and put them in the fridge to defrost before i reheat them or do they have to be cooked from frozen like the frozen meals you buy from the grocery store.

Thanks

I freeze in zip lock bags - I defrost with the bag in a container though, in case they decide to leak!

I find frozen vegies (either bought frozen or frozen raw) defrost slightly soft. I wouldn't precook them if you're planning on reheating - unless you mean starchy things like potato. Broccoli/beans etc I would add uncooked.

Defrost the night before or morning of...
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    If you're going to be doing this a lot, I would invest in a Food Saver vacuum sealer.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I think if you do what you suggest with the veg you will overcook it and it will go mushy. I would leave it out until the rest of the food is cool, then add the frozen veg and freeze it all together. That way the veg stays frozen and not mushy.