Soccer in Sept - Will I be ready?

Options
Hey everyone! So I signed up for a adult coed soccer league that starts in the fall (Sept). I am currently about 50 lbs overweight. I am doubting myself that I will be physically ready to play. I am currently using the c25k app to help with getting me back to jogging. I am currently on week 4 of c25k which is jog 3 min then walk 90 seconds then jog 5 min then walk 90 seconds then repeat once. The c25k app is majority of the jogging that I do 3 times a week. Any other suggestions that would help me get ready for soccer sooner without overdoing it?

Replies

• Adventure9
    Adventure9 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I assume you playing some kind of adult rec soccer is that correct. If so, you can use it as a conditioning tool and just play for a few minutes here and there until you get into better soccer condition. In addition to the jogging, I'd suggest some just kicking around with a ball and doing various drills a few times each week. This prepares you for the lateral movements etc of soccer. It's also good for preventing injuries. Plus it's a great workout. I've seen a lot of players get injured who've just been jogging. Jogging is one directional and soccer is multi-directional.

All he best. Its a fun sport!
  • StrongLife
    StrongLife Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Running is a start so that your body gets used to moving. However, I suggest introducing interval conditioning as quickly as possible (like sprints and fast feet through a conditioning ladder). Once the body gets used to moving with speed then introduce a ball into the conditioning. You'd be surprised how hard it is dribbling in a zig zag fashion for any length of distance. Go get em!
  • Stay2theC
    Stay2theC Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    :smile: Thank you both for the advice!