Fat Doctor Takes her Own Advice and Loses Weight!

Options
2»

Replies

• emcclure013
    emcclure013 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    WOW. What an amazing difference! I, too, work in the medical field and for a long time I've fallen into the same way of life, "work first - myself second." It's hard to focus on yourself once in a while when everything you do is for the good of other people. Keep up the amazing work - such an inspiration!
  • Aha123
    Aha123 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Wow! Your story is inspirational! I think I will get back on track today!!!!!! Motivation is powerful!
    :smiley:
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    You look terrific! Great job!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    Deanner03 wrote: »
    Sunna_W wrote: »
    "I was really mad at my PCP for never even mentioning how weight loss could help with my problems. All she did was keep throwing pills at me. It's pretty irresponsible, to be honest."

This is so true. I don't know what they teach in medical school anymore except that the doctors are to order a bunch of tests and throw drugs at you.

@jkhartsock you look great, by the way. What an inspiration!

I'm not sure if it's that, or the fact that they get sick of telling people to change their lives over and over again without any results. I'm an RN. After a while of talking to people about lifestyle modifications (smoking cessation, weight reduction, dietary changes, etc), you realize that it's not going to happen, and just treat the symptoms rather than the cause, because failure to do so can have far reaching ramifications.

I see an NP. He speaks very candidly about weight. Did I make changes? Not at first. I had a hip replacement last year (at 35). I am now motivated to get the weight off to try to get the hip to last longer.

I get that. But my doctor - who I had been seeing for 15 years when I put on weight NEVER mentioned how losing weight might be a good idea. I'm one of those people who didn't even really see the weight on myself until I was buying size 20s. They have a screen right in front of them with the stuff they've done. Heck, she has notes about me concerning things that aren't even health related. How hard would it be to say, "You know, according to the BMI chart, you are morbidly obese. Here are some of the complications created by being over weight. Have you done any thinking about weight loss? Many of your problems may be relieved by losing weight. In the meantime you'll have to be on these medications."

Nothing.

Not one word.

I don't like medical interventions and pills. I would have been on that like white on rice. Embarrassing me is a good thing! As a matter of fact that was what finally got through my denial - someone calling me fat. I guess after being on these forums I can see how some people would change doctors because the doctor was honest, but I'm not one of those.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    Oh. And my weight gain was only after I was put on several medications for migraines. I was so slowed down I didn't even want to get off the couch. Lots of these meds can be switched out, but no one offered to try. I was just resigned to being huge if I was going to continue to treat my migraines. To me No Migraines > Fat.
  • DonnaHazel
    DonnaHazel Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Yeah for Dayton! I live here too! What a great job. I've started my journey almost a month ago. So far I've lost 10 lbs.. I try to walk or bike 5 times a week. Sometimes its hard to get off the couch, but I try to keep my goal in mind. Keep up the good job!
  • jkhartsock
    jkhartsock Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Donna way to get started!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!