My 10k

Options
samthepanda
samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
So today I did my third 10k (same one 3rd year running, no other races in between.) Menopause is hitting hard and my body is doing all kind of weird stuff, hormones all over the place, and my anxiety and stress levels have been way out of control. I have also had problems with Achilles tendinitis and plantir fasciatis. So with shoe inserts, lots of ibuprofen, and 2 days into HRT it was time. I felt really rough this morning, serious stomach issues. I couldnt each breakfast and hardly keep coffee down. So anxious about the run, the crowds, everything! I have to say I have the loveliest most patient running partner who just kept talking to me all the way through. Despite the forecast of cold morning it was warm and sunny, but while we were waiting i was shivering. 15 mins to go i needed the loo (again!), the queues for portraloos were massive but we managed to find an open gate into the racecourse and the toilets in there were open, but as we left people were being told we weren't allowed to use them - oops! I felt sick all morning, and foot was very painful. Won't bore you with all the details, but I was fighting myself not to give up by 1km. The run goes through the centre of town and when we passed a burger van I nearly lost the small amount of breakfast I'd eaten, and later passing a corner strewn with vomit it was even worse! It got very hot and I knew I hadn't taken on enough water. Parts of the route were narrow so it was hard to pass or even keep your pace. The route is mean as at 9 km you turn away from the finish, then double back on yourself - its easy to peak too soon, but we made it. I had hoped for just under 60 mins but it wasn't to be today. I came in at 1:01:45. Given what has been going on the last few weeks I am pleased with that. I felt really sick at the end and have felt rubbish all day, but glad I got that medal and will definitely run again. I didn't think I'd run it all but I did!

Replies

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    That is an inspirational success story for sure. Congrats on fighting your way through it. Hope the HRT works out for you (it has for me).
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Great job! Congrats on the awesome accomplishment
  • samthepanda
    Options
    Thanks
  • snowyne
    snowyne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I needed to read this! I'm going through "the change" as well and have been crawling out of my skin! I took up running last Nov and I would love to run 10k race soon. Congrats on your race...it inspires me! :)
  • samthepanda
    Options
    Thank you. Find a 10k and go for it, it's great to have a goal to aim for.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Congrats. Doing a 10km race is no mean feat.

Cheers, h.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!