losing weight with whey shakes

Options
is it possible for me to drop 10 lbs drinking this two or three times a day?

Replies

• watermillion
    watermillion Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    anybody?
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Whey is a terrible choice for this.

If using protein powder as meal replacement, go for a protein that digests more slowly, like casein.
  • PrettyPearl88
    PrettyPearl88 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Whey protein shakes are for people who need to increase their protein count because they're lifting weights and building muscle. They don't "help you lose weight." They CAN help your weight loss come more from fat instead of muscle if you're already eating at a deficit along with working out and strength training. But by themselves, whey protein shakes don't help you lose weight. You're not going to "drop 10 lbs" if you simply add 2-3 whey shakes into an unhealthy diet that includes zero exercise or strength training.
  • tmusgrave
    tmusgrave Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you mix with them. If you are doing milk (cow milk, almond milk, etc.), then you probably won't. If you are mixing it with a banana and water, it should only be after a workout.

Currently, I am doing 2 shakes per day. My first is usually around 10:30 AM (morning snack) mixed with 4 frozen strawberries and one around 4:30 PM (afternoon snack). Both are mixed only with water.

You don't really want to have more shake meals than solid food meals.
  • Gee_24
    Gee_24 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I dont know why people would want to live off of shakes when you can what you like and lose!!
  • debaloo
    debaloo Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    In my humble opinion, shakes are a way to get a meal in when you don't have a healthier option available but I don't feel like they should be used as a main component of your diet. Start the way you plan to continue.... would you continue eating (or drinking in this case) this way for the rest of your life?

To answer your question more directly, you will likely lose weight if your calorie expenditure is over your calorie intake. I say likely because there are other factors. Biologically speaking, there is a sensor in your brain that makes you feel satisfied when you chew. There was a study done where someone drinks a certain amount of calories and that liquid is then removed from their stomach shortly after. The study participants didn't change their calorie intake from food based on the amount of calories that they drank. Drinking your calories doesn't make you feel full, that's the bottom line. At some point you will just go into pig out mode because your body feels deprived.
  • pcastagner
    Options
    In my humble opinion, shakes are a way to get a meal in when you don't have a healthier option available but I don't feel like they should be used as a main component of your diet. Start the way you plan to continue.... would you continue eating (or drinking in this case) this way for the rest of your life?

To answer your question more directly, you will likely lose weight if your calorie expenditure is over your calorie intake. I say likely because there are other factors. Biologically speaking, there is a sensor in your brain that makes you feel satisfied when you chew. There was a study done where someone drinks a certain amount of calories and that liquid is then removed from their stomach shortly after. The study participants didn't change their calorie intake from food based on the amount of calories that they drank. Drinking your calories doesn't make you feel full, that's the bottom line. At some point you will just go into pig out mode because your body feels deprived.

The problem with that study IMO is that certain approaches to eating can alter perception. I never used to feel full from drinking calories, but after many months of IF this seems to have changed. I can now do naughty things like get 600 of my cals from maple syrup in a day, and where eating all that sugar used to make me more hungry, it now makes me feel sated.

So I do feel how we react to food is not just physiological but cultural.

However I understand this is a real thing, so I recommend the following:

Buy some casein protein
    Instead of making a thin shake, use way less water and make a pudding

If you have a mixer and the right brand of casein (some wont work for this), you can also make protein fluff, which is even better at making you feel full.
  • debaloo
    Options

The problem with that study IMO is that certain approaches to eating can alter perception. I never used to feel full from drinking calories, but after many months of IF this seems to have changed. I can now do naughty things like get 600 of my cals from maple syrup in a day, and where eating all that sugar used to make me more hungry, it now makes me feel sated.

That is just science. But doesn't necessarily apply to everyone. I would say it's a good rule of thum though:)
    Wish that would happen to me! I have me some Sugar Free syrup but never full on maple syrup... I miss it! LOL
  • pcastagner
    Options

That is just science. But doesn't necessarily apply to everyone. I would say it's a good rule of thum though:)
    Wish that would happen to me! I have me some Sugar Free syrup but never full on maple syrup... I miss it! LOL

I'm talking about the good stuff too, from Quebec. It's very thin and watery and has a light golden color, not a hint if amber.

Mmmmmmmm....
  • debaloo
    Options

I'm talking about the good stuff too, from Quebec. It's very thin and watery and has a light golden color, not a hint if amber.

Mmmmmmmm....

Now your just messin with me but it's all good cause it's my free day and I am eating my $4 Coolhaus ice cream sandwich:bigsmile: