Will eating/drinking/taking [whatever] make me lose fat?

Options
As usual, there's a healthy dose of threads asking if whatever thing - be it supplements, 'fat burners', green tea, apple cider vinegar - will make a person lose weight or not.

Many of us have been doing this for long enough, or have enough background knowledge in physics, to know that the answer is universally 'no'. But when you're new to all this, these claims are seductive, and the fact they're peddled so hard throughout the media can make them seem quite reasonable.

So I'm putting this out there for those who are confused or in doubt or feel there might be something in any of these claims. Here are some general principles to help you judge:

1. No side effects = no effects
Any substance that changes the way your body works is a drug, and drugs have side effects. It's inevitable. If you change one thing, other things will change too. A well-chosen drug may have minimal side effects, or tolerable side effects, but they'll be there. It will also interact with other drugs, or certain conditions, in ways that could be harmful. If there are no warnings of side effects, interactions or contraindications, it means the substance is not changing how your body works - it's doing nothing at all. Real drugs have warnings, because real drugs have real effects.

2: If it worked, it would be dangerous
If green tea really made you lose weight without having a calorie deficit, it would be dangerous to take too much of it. It could make you underweight or malnourished. It would be dangerous for people with low body weights, the elderly, pregnant women. People would be getting hospitalised for taking it inappropriately. Governments would be regulating it and limiting doses. If that isn't happening, it doesn't make you lose weight.

3. Getting fat isn't an illness, it's normal
Behind a lot of the claims for 'miracle weight loss products' is the idea that getting fat is somehow a flaw in your body, due to an 'imbalance' or 'toxins' or some kind of problem with your digestion, and so if you can take something to restore your internal health, you won't be fat any more. Reality is the opposite.

A body that gets fat when overfed is functioning correctly and normally. It's effectively getting all the nutrition it can from the food you eat, and storing extra energy as it has adapted to do.

To interfere with this process ('make me lose fat'), you would have to either artificially speed up metabolism (which is dangerous) or cause malabsorption of nutrients (which is dangerous). There are drugs which have these effects, but they are regulated and controlled, because they can be very harmful if taken inappropriately. They do not work by restoring 'balance' or removing 'toxins'. They work by chemically distorting your body's normal way of working. Green tea and apple cider vinegar do not do this - and really, would you want them to?

I hope this is of some help. I have huge sympathy with people who have fallen foul of the misinformation that flies thick and fast on this topic, and I hope this helps to arm someone against the bogus claims which aim only to lighten your pockets and keep your body heavy.

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Should be a sticky here.
  • ISweat4This
    ISweat4This Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info, so many gimmicks out there.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Point #3 is very insightful. Too bad the rest of what you wrote was so awesome, or I'd be able to credit you for it.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Eating/drinking [less] will make you lose weight!
  • quatermore
    quatermore Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    These are all excellent points. I hope they reach the appropriate ears. I fear, however, this will need to be said again, and again and again. Great post by the way.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Great OP!

I think many people don't have much awareness of what they are eating, and so fall victim to # 3, thinking, "I don't eat that much, so the problem must be my metabolism (or whatever.)"

I know doing WW in the 90s certainly opened my eyes to how much I was eating, especially empty calories from wine. (LOTS of wine.)

And don't get me started on "serving sizes"...
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Great OP!

I think many people don't have much awareness of what they are eating, and so fall victim to # 3, thinking, "I don't eat that much, so the problem must be my metabolism (or whatever.)"

I know doing WW in the 90s certainly opened my eyes to how much I was eating, especially empty calories from wine. (LOTS of wine.)

And don't get me started on "serving sizes"...

It's hard to get your head around just how little you need to overeat in order to gain weight. A dietitian told me all it takes is one extra chocolate biscuit a day. One. That will have you gaining a stone (14lb) in two years. That blew my mind.

And it's also hard to grasp at first just how wrong you can be about portion sizes, and how forgetful you can be about snacks and treats. I love 'Secret Eaters' for this, it's a massive eye opener.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options

And it's also hard to grasp at first just how wrong you can be about portion sizes, and how forgetful you can be about snacks and treats. I love 'Secret Eaters' for this, it's a massive eye opener.[/quote]

When I first started on my whole lifestyle change I thought I was tracking everything and was very frustrated that I wasn't getting anywhere. Then I bought a food scale....holy crap!!!! That shocked me, I was eating more than twice the calories I thought I was. I was so used to restaurant portions and filling my large dinner plates up that I had no idea what an actual portion size was.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    This is why weighing portions on a food scale is so crucial, at least at first. That stage can't be skipped.