Microwave yes or no? ?

Options

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

That thread was right around when I first started on MFP. What an introduction.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I meal prep for a week at a time. Preportion my food. There's no way I could do that without having a microwave to heat up my meals.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    finny11122 wrote: »
    I love cooking and turning a bunch of ingredients into something amazing . Only proper cooking techniques can get those great results . You want top quality food , you got to put in the time and effort .
    Cutting open a preservative laden ready meal and dumping it into a microwave is not exactly healthy eating .

Would warming up the same meal in the oven make it any better? If not, your point is moot. :)

No . Cheap ready meals are bad in an oven or microwave . People come to this site to eat healthier and lose weight . Cooking from scratch with good healthy ingredients is a million times better and tastier than any microwave food . I bet you have alot of - I am Nino moments in your kitchen .

I improved all my health markers, including normalizing a high glucose number, as well as losing 50lbs, while eating all sorts of microwaved 'diet' foods. I only ate what tasted good, and prepackaged microwave meals like Lean Cuisines made it easy for me to stick to my calorie goals. Before I started my weight loss phase I wasn't big into cooking, so using my microwave for premade meals met me where I was at. And the outcome was pretty spectacular :)

Op, I use my microwave several times a day-steamer bags of veggies, to warm up coffee, for refried beans, canned chicken etc.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Microwaves are just another way to heat food. I'm glad you're off that program. They make access to good food easier. Oatmeal, soups, steamable veggies, etc. I think a lot of the logic behind microwaves being bad for you comes from the fact that it also makes 'unhealthy' food a lot easier for people to get in quick, large quantities. (these foods aren't necessarily bad- but some people eat them over their calorie limit just because its easier to access)
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    This thread reminds me of my MIL, who is deathly afraid of microwave ovens, because "radiation". My in-laws live with us, and our microwave is built into the cabinet above the stove. It's funny to microwave something when she is cooking - she will quickly turn everything off and run out of the kitchen. Then she'll yell at me for standing in front of the microwave, because I'll get cancer. :)

She doesn't understand science, her world is one of magic and superstition. Microwaves don't cause cancer, the radiation isn't ionizing. The wavelengths are too long. If they did, then cooking at the stove would be even more dangerous, because the infrared heat coming off the stove top is shorter in wavelength and more energetic. But according to her, that's heat, not "radiation".
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    katadx wrote: »
    Microwaves are just another way to heat food. I'm glad you're off that program. They make access to good food easier. Oatmeal, soups, steamable veggies, etc. I think a lot of the logic behind microwaves being bad for you comes from the fact that it also makes 'unhealthy' food a lot easier for people to get in quick, large quantities. (these foods aren't necessarily bad- but some people eat them over their calorie limit just because its easier to access)

Oh yes! Oatmeal! It is so much easier making old-fashioned oatmeal in the microwave than on the stove top. No standing there stirring, no pot to wash. I also love it for making buckwheat cereal too.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I just use my microwave to heat water or reheat leftovers.

Never use it to actually "cook" anything.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I love cooking and turning a bunch of ingredients into something amazing . Only proper cooking techniques can get those great results . You want top quality food , you got to put in the time and effort .
    Cutting open a preservative laden ready meal and dumping it into a microwave is not exactly healthy eating .

Would warming up the same meal in the oven make it any better? If not, your point is moot. :)

No . Cheap ready meals are bad in an oven or microwave . People come to this site to eat healthier and lose weight . Cooking from scratch with good healthy ingredients is a million times better and tastier than any microwave food . I bet you have alot of - I am Nino moments in your kitchen .

That's just untrue.

with the exception of sodium(which is only a concern if it's a concern) There's nothing inherently superior about cooking vegetables or meat on the stovetop vs a microwave.

Typical dinner is 2x
    https://www.samsclub.com/sams/quick-n-eat-fully-cooked-choice-angus-patties-12ct/178397.ip

1x https://www.walmart.com/ip/Green-Giant-Steamers-Cheesy-Rice-Broccoli-12-oz-Bag/10813709

1x https://www.birdseye.com/product/mixed-vegetables-4/

Plus a couple slices cheese.

What's unhealthy(other than the red meat... spare me the sermon)

I've lost 20+ lbs and gotten faster and stronger...

I'm living in a tiny basement apartment due to a work situation and this meal has been absolutely a key component of my weight loss.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    My sister has this great way of cooking asparagus in the microwave that tastes as good as other methods. I don't do it that way because I am used to doing what I do, but her asparagus is no less nutritious than mine.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    My sister has this great way of cooking asparagus in the microwave that tastes as good as other methods. I don't do it that way because I am used to doing what I do, but her asparagus is no less nutritious than mine.

Would you mind asking if she'll share her secret? If so, either post here or DM me, please? I haven't had success with asparagus in the microwave at all - sauteing or broiling has worked well, though. Since only I eat it at my house, it's not something I get often, as I probably won't cook all of it before it goes bad. But, if I could microwave it, I might be able to do so as part of lunch at work.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Would you mind asking if she'll share her secret? If so, either post here or DM me, please? I haven't had success with asparagus in the microwave at all - sauteing or broiling has worked well, though. Since only I eat it at my house, it's not something I get often, as I probably won't cook all of it before it goes bad. But, if I could microwave it, I might be able to do so as part of lunch at work.

If you like that roasted flavor from browning, you really can't get that in the microwave. But if you want to duplicate steaming, put it on a plate with a small amount of water, invert another plate on top, microwave from one to about five minutes depending on the amount of food and your microwave strength.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    No. Steamed asparagus sucks.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I think she just puts them in a shallow bowl and wraps them loosely in a wet paper towel. It's a form of steaming. (I like asparagus steamed, but usually sautee them.)
  • stormcrow2
    stormcrow2 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I use my microwave to thaw frozen meat...

I forgot about that! I do this all the time, too. I used to have to defrost meat in the fridge or on the counter all day in order to have it be thawed by dinnertime. And I can't tell you the number of times I've taken out pork chops for dinner in the morning and then not actually felt like having porkchops when dinnertime rolled around.

By using the microwave, the meat stays safely frozen and I can decide right before dinner what's for dinner. ;)

An InstantPot is great for this as well. Just dump them in frozen.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

What if I buy expensive ready meals?

Seriously though, I know a lot of healthy people that eat microwave meals regularly. Like every day regularly.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    JetJaguar wrote: »
    This thread reminds me of my MIL, who is deathly afraid of microwave ovens, because "radiation". My in-laws live with us, and our microwave is built into the cabinet above the stove. It's funny to microwave something when she is cooking - she will quickly turn everything off and run out of the kitchen. Then she'll yell at me for standing in front of the microwave, because I'll get cancer. :)

She doesn't understand science, her world is one of magic and superstition. Microwaves don't cause cancer, the radiation isn't ionizing. The wavelengths are too long. If they did, then cooking at the stove would be even more dangerous, because the infrared heat coming off the stove top is shorter in wavelength and more energetic. But according to her, that's heat, not "radiation".

I had an aunt who used to tell me I was killing my children by warming their bottles in the microwave. They all survived.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options

What if I buy expensive ready meals?

Seriously though, I know a lot of healthy people that eat microwave meals regularly. Like every day regularly.

This would be me. My frozen meals often have 15 - 20 grams of protein (which is my focus right now) for around 300 calories. Last week I had a lean Cuisine chicken in sweet BBQ sauce that had 20 grams protein for 280 calories. Can't say that's unhealthy.