Should I continue with my personal trainer?

Options
After having my third child, I hired a personal trainer. I was not overly heavy, (131 pds) but I wanted to build muscle and tone up along with losing a few pounds. It has been close to 4 months now and I am debating whether its worth hiring him for another 3 months. I pay $60 an hour which is a lot of money! I see him 3 times a week which means I am considering paying him another $2700 to see him thru nov/dec. Since I started, I don't feel like I look much different. Two weeks ago I told him that I want to start training in the way that a figure competitor would, because I want to be tone but muscular, so heavy weights are now what we focus on. As far as differences I do notice:
-stamina in working out...I went from NO exercise at all to 5/6 hrs a wk (do group cardio classes when not training with him)
-went from 28.2% body fat to 22.5% body fat from April 9th to July 28th

Things I don't notice:
-clothes fitting differently
-weight going down

I eat pretty clean but I plan to try to eat completely clean (only veggies, fruit, protein shakes, lean meat, and water) for next month to see if it increases my results.

I love my trainer to death and he motivates me mentally, and helps me to not feel intimidated using machines I don't otherwise know how to use. I am just afraid of paying that much more money and seeing no results in 3/4 more months. Then again...Im not sure I will push myself as hard if I don't train with him. The money just seems ridiculous and with 3 kids, makes me feel incredibly guilty. Thoughts? Opinions?

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    That's a great reduction in your BF. sounds like its working well. If money is a concern, you could only meet with him once or twice a week instead.

I only meet with my trainer once a week and take a group class from her once a week.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have made decent progress. I'd agree with the above poster - think about seeing your trainer once a week, or even every other week - that should keep you accountable, and still gives you the opportunity to ask questions when needed.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    For that kind of money, I'd put it to much better use and go buy "Starting Strength," a decent power cage, an oly bar and some plates and bumpers.
  • Jill147
    Jill147 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for youe input. I am considering only signing up for half of what I have in the past whixh would be $1400 in comparison to $2700. I would then go another 2 months at 3 times a wk and then drop down to 2times a wk for the remainder. Within 3 months I should see a huge difference I would think and will either sign up for few more or feel confident enough to do it alone. I considered buying equipment but have nowhere to put it plus I would still have to pay for gym membership for classes.
  • Alphaeater
    Alphaeater Posts: 12
    Options
    Hi Jill,

My wife wrestles with this all the time. Same thing: guilt, isn't sure how to use all the equipment, is this what I should be spending the family money on, etc. As I tell my wife, you have to be happy. If you need/want a trainer now and you're getting the psychological and physical needs met with the trainer, do it. It's worth the price.

Remember this, though: if you are adding muscle and losing fat, your weight won't change. Since you are losing fat, you must be gaining muscle, and that's good.

Do you look better naked/in the mirror? If you do, you're making gains. Do what you're thinking: give it another 2 months, making sure that you're trying to do similar workouts on your own on the other days. Also, checkout the "Workout of the Day" type things online. Many of these are cycles of maybe only three movements (5 sets of 5 pushups plus 30 jumping jacks plus 20 squats while holding a 5lb kettlebell) and can give you confidence to try other moves/exercises.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    After having my third child, I hired a personal trainer. I was not overly heavy, (131 pds) but I wanted to build muscle and tone up along with losing a few pounds. It has been close to 4 months now and I am debating whether its worth hiring him for another 3 months. I pay $60 an hour which is a lot of money! I see him 3 times a week which means I am considering paying him another $2700 to see him thru nov/dec. Since I started, I don't feel like I look much different. Two weeks ago I told him that I want to start training in the way that a figure competitor would, because I want to be tone but muscular, so heavy weights are now what we focus on. As far as differences I do notice:
    -stamina in working out...I went from NO exercise at all to 5/6 hrs a wk (do group cardio classes when not training with him)
    -went from 28.2% body fat to 22.5% body fat from April 9th to July 28th

Things I don't notice:
    -clothes fitting differently
    -weight going down

I eat pretty clean but I plan to try to eat completely clean (only veggies, fruit, protein shakes, lean meat, and water) for next month to see if it increases my results.

I love my trainer to death and he motivates me mentally, and helps me to not feel intimidated using machines I don't otherwise know how to use. I am just afraid of paying that much more money and seeing no results in 3/4 more months. Then again...Im not sure I will push myself as hard if I don't train with him. The money just seems ridiculous and with 3 kids, makes me feel incredibly guilty. Thoughts? Opinions?

First off, eating clean will not make a lick of difference. All that matters is total calorie intake, and macronutrient break down. If you don't believe me, I can point you in the direction of some articles and studies that will change your mind.

Also, a trainer is helpful when you don't know what you're doing, but once the trainer teaches you the basics, you don't really need them anymore, just continue lifting heavy and develop a workout schedule of your own that involves progressive overload training, and you'll be fine without a trainer.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    waste of money.,
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    For that kind of money, I'd put it to much better use and go buy "Starting Strength," a decent power cage, an oly bar and some plates and bumpers.

A-yep. I agree.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    If having a trainer is the only thing that gets you to the gym/working out, then it may be worthwhile.

But after several months, you shouldn't need a trainer to feel comfortable in a gym.
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I meet with my trainer once a week. He give me the exercise I am suppose to do for the week. Each week he teaches me knew ones working on form and range of motion. I don't see why after all this time you couldn't go down to one a week or to 2 half hour sessions a week. and then work out the rest of the time on your own. It sounds like the only thing holding you back is your fear.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    OP, how did they estimate your body fat percentage? I am really surprised that you went down by such a large amount without losing inches or weight. The difference between 28% and 23% is pretty noticeable--your clothes should fit differently. I suspect it's more likely that they made an error in estimating your bf% and are just giving you a lower number to justify continued employment of the trainer.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Well, if clothes aren't fitting differently, the I'd be a little concerned with the numbers for percentage of body fat loss. That was pretty significant and there should have been some sort of clothing change.
    IMO, unless you NEED to see him 3 times a week, then reduce the sessions you see him. I have lots of clients whom I only see once a month and that's just to write up a new program (that they do for a month) and take the hour to do the workout and check form. I do have clients that come 2 times a week, but they've got a lot of money and honestly tell me that they NEED me to be accountable for themselves.
    You should be pretty knowledgeable now on basics, so consider a reduction in sessions. Obviously the goal should to no longer need the trainer to assist you.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I agree with some of the previous posters, reduce the number of times a week that you work with your trainer.

I started working with a traine (Justin)r back in February. I worked with him 2x a week for several months, another 2-3 times a week came in and did cardio on my own. In Mid April that trainer moved out of state, and he reccomended his replacement. I work with the second trainer (Brian) 1x per week, and every few weeks he writes out a workout for me to do when am not with him. He is actually on vacation this week and I came in today to find a VERY challenging workout that he left for me to do this week since I wont be working with him. I dont plan on working with a trainer indefinitely, but by the time I quit, should have a fairly good selection of workouts to rotate through...and I know Brian will be keeping an eye on me when hes not busy with other clients.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Your diary isn't open, so my best guess here is that you probably aren't logging accurately. If you aren't noticing a change in both how you look and how your clothes fit, even with all the exercise, I'm guessing your caloric intake is pretty close to maintenance rather than in a reasonable deficit....IMHO.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    You've gotten a huge improvement in your body fat percentage but that is a lot of money. Why don't you try it on your own for a month and see how it goes. Some people need trainers to push them and some don't. Find out which one you are.
  • bowhuntr09
    bowhuntr09 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Have you considered giving Crossfit a shot?
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I agree with some of the previous posters, reduce the number of times a week that you work with your trainer.

I started working with a traine (Justin)r back in February. I worked with him 2x a week for several months, another 2-3 times a week came in and did cardio on my own. In Mid April that trainer moved out of state, and he reccomended his replacement. I work with the second trainer (Brian) 1x per week, and every few weeks he writes out a workout for me to do when am not with him. He is actually on vacation this week and I came in today to find a VERY challenging workout that he left for me to do this week since I wont be working with him. I dont plan on working with a trainer indefinitely, but by the time I quit, should have a fairly good selection of workouts to rotate through...and I know Brian will be keeping an eye on me when hes not busy with other clients.

THIS^^^ I love my trainer! We only meet once a week but he gives me 2 other workouts as homework. We use the same workouts for a month then change. I keep all of my workouts in a binder along woth how much I lifted. He even refers back at times to see where I was weight wise on a particular exercise. If I ever decide not to use him, I will still have all those workouts!

I think I will continue with him though. He pushes me to do things I wouldn't even attempt! He recently opened his own gym. I didn't show up one morning when I normally would. I wasn't scheduled to wework with him but he still texted me to see where I was! I told him thanks for the accountability!

He doesn't use machines, BTW! It's all cross-fit style - weights, kettlebells, body weight, sleds, tire flips. Much more effective, IMO and you feel SOOO empowered when you flip that tractor tire!!
  • JamieM8168
    JamieM8168 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be to cut down like others have said and make sure to be specific on what you want to do and what you're looking for.

I have specific goals for myself and if I don't see a difference, I tell my trainer and we switch it up.
    I love working out with my trainer, its completely not a waste of money if you're seeing results.
    My trainer knows to push me...when I whine, he makes me finish anyway. When I finish something, he makes me finish it with more weight next time.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

THIS^^^ I love my trainer! We only meet once a week but he gives me 2 other workouts as homework. We use the same workouts for a month then change. I keep all of my workouts in a binder along woth how much I lifted. He even refers back at times to see where I was weight wise on a particular exercise. If I ever decide not to use him, I will still have all those workouts!

I think I will continue with him though. He pushes me to do things I wouldn't even attempt! He recently opened his own gym. I didn't show up one morning when I normally would. I wasn't scheduled to wework with him but he still texted me to see where I was! I told him thanks for the accountability!

He doesn't use machines, BTW! It's all cross-fit style - weights, kettlebells, body weight, sleds, tire flips. Much more effective, IMO and you feel SOOO empowered when you flip that tractor tire!!

Brian never has me doing the same exact workout twice. One day we did 45 minutes of heavy bag work! He pulled it down and had me flipping it like a tire, had me punching it, kicking it, etc. I was sore for DAYS but I felt so energized.

He also has me doing stuff that I would never dream of doing :battle ropes standing on the BOSU ball, BOSU lunges, flights of steps. One day last week a regular approached me and told me she had noticed how hard I was working, and that she could see the changes in my body. Then she said that my trainer trains me like he would a guy! I'm an obese, asthmatic, almost 40 year old woman!
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    FUnny! I am an obese, asthmatic 45 year old woman!

Most of the people at my gym are teens! Simply because my trainer just opened a new gym and his clients are the local private school sports teams! LOL I like doing the same workout for a month. It allows me to see strength gains or agility, etc so I know I am improving. It's the way "New Rules of Lifting 4 Women" is set up as well. He amazes me by doing the math and saying ok you did 5 reps at 155, you should be able to do 1 at 180 and pushing me to try it. He always reviews my homework to see how I did. Sometimes I impress him by moving up in weights. At other times, he has told me it's time to move up!

I love working with him and probably will for a long time! It takes the thinking out of it for me! I know, lazy right but with 4 kids, a full time job, a husband and 3 dogs, I need a little pampering somewhere! My trainer thinking for me is my pampering right now!! LOL