Would you have said something?

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I doubt I would have done more than roll my eyes. They weren't actually harming the cashier after all.
  • Kintsugi_Haikyo
    Kintsugi_Haikyo Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I would have stayed out of it because there is really nothing a bystander can do to make it better.

My simple thoughts on people like that:

I think some people want to make a scene. Some people just want to try to bully everyone into getting their way. Some people want an excuse to call you a bigot or racist or any other name, possibly to make themselves feel better (?). Some people were not brought up right by their parents and must go through life like this (no courtesy, no civility, no clue that a cashier is just a cog in a machine and isn't really empowered to make most decisions, no manners, etc...). And, some are not hard-wired (or even soft wired) right and they may be a sociopath or a psychopath.

If people had more manners and civility, we would need fewer laws.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    No... for myself these things are never my fight or burden to carry.

Isn't there some sort of training involved for handling irate customers, an eject button maybe? :laugh:

Be my luck I would intervene and these people are waiting outside to kick my *kitten*. I could see this happening outside Walmart or a Dollar General... Don't have time for none of that.

suppose it depends on where its at. they didn't tell us anything about it when i trained at walmart. just told us to do whatever to make the customer happy and call a manager if needed.

but things usually went like this-

insane customer shows up over something insane, so you call the manager.

manager(s) disappear(s) and you end up holding the line up for 20 mins waiting on manager to show up.

get written up for not moving line fast enough.

thank you walmart

though tbf i knew one guy who flattened one of the regular managers car tires after his write up. he worked there like another week after that and then just quit showing up.

the manager is still there though. i'm not sure who the real winner was in that exchange tbh.

I live in the South, this kind of thing happens more times than you can imagine.

Heck there is a fight outside or some sort of heated exchange going in or leaving the store.

Flattening tires is def something I could see happening. sigh
  • RastaLousGirl
    RastaLousGirl Posts: 2,119 Member
    Options
    Honestly, a piece of me would want to step in and defend the cashier, but I may make it worse because I won't back down.. However, I hope that I would react in a way that would benefit the situation (if I could): observe, listen, get upper management/security.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    eJane13 wrote: »
    Anyone else work in hotels/hospitality? This happens all the time. Its crazy!

I have before, and a store. My favorite was when people would try to argue prices with you...like you made them up or can change them. I especially loved being asked "what's my price?"

Or that people think that being an *kitten* to you is a good way to make your want to help them out or do what they want...I'd try my best to do the exact opposite, they wouldn't know it but it gave (and still gives me in my current job) great satisfaction
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,507 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    eJane13 wrote: »
    Anyone else work in hotels/hospitality? This happens all the time. Its crazy!

My favorite was when people would try to argue prices with you...like you made them up or can change them. I especially loved being asked "what's my price?"

I do this with every single item in my shopping cart, just before the cashier scans it.

I must ask her: "What's my price on that ?? " at least 50 times during each and every trip to the grocery store.

Remember, if you don't ask, the answer is 'no'.

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    I've been yelled at for ridiculous things as a cashier before. It's not usually helpful for others to intervene (except a manager) even with good intentions. It is nice when the next person in line is like "don't worry you're doing a great job" or something

when i was working at the register at walmart before- this one lady screamed at me for like 5 mins because we didn't keep the propane tanks up by the registers

what if she was right?

She wasn't. Propane tanks aren't supposed to be stored inside for safety reasons.

http://movinginsider.com/2017/02/22/safely-store-propane-tank/
  • browneyedgirl749
    browneyedgirl749 Posts: 4,984 Member
    Options
    I have always said you can tell the people who worked with the public over ones who didn't. The one who never worked in that kind of role are usually the meanest and demand stuff they don't deserve. The ones who did are very understanding of the will power the employees have not to smack the "entitled" ones :lol:
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Story is suspicious. Aren't cashiers taught to send them to the customer service rightaway?

But you can't make them go if they just stand there yelling at you when you try to send them. I've seen similar things at the grocery store many times.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I get it but I hardly believe in race-bait threads anymore. Esp. on the internet.

As someone that works in healthcare, I see it at least weekly. There are people out there that still pull that card on the smallest things that are a requirement for every single patient we see and not just something we decided to start with that particular patient. They do exist.
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    People give way too much credit to cashier training :lol:

Be polite, call a manager, don't chase after thieves. That's all I was ever told.

Maybe if you'd completed your training....

ce68d0d4c51dfb174ab3c03daf6ffb72--multiple-sclerosis-star-wars-characters.jpg
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,507 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    I've been yelled at for ridiculous things as a cashier before. It's not usually helpful for others to intervene (except a manager) even with good intentions. It is nice when the next person in line is like "don't worry you're doing a great job" or something

when i was working at the register at walmart before- this one lady screamed at me for like 5 mins because we didn't keep the propane tanks up by the registers

what if she was right?

She wasn't. Propane tanks aren't supposed to be stored inside for safety reasons.

http://movinginsider.com/2017/02/22/safely-store-propane-tank/

Packer-J, please.

That link is obviously for the old style, exterior grade, propane tanks.

I was referring to the new & improved interior propane tanks.

you know, they are the ones that all of the kids are so crazy about these days....
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Story is suspicious. Aren't cashiers taught to send them to the customer service rightaway?

Yea they prob are that doesn't mean customers are going to listen and follow instructions. she told them they needed to go to customer service for a return, they didn't listen and wanted her to take care of them right there and thats why they got all amped up about it and calling her all kinds of names.
  • Grimmerick
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I get it but I hardly believe in race-bait threads anymore. Esp. on the internet.

believe what you want doesn't mean it didn't or doesn't happen. Besides where on here besides the original post do you see anyone mentioning race besides you? And it's only in the original post because that is what SHE said out of her own mouth under her own brain power (or lack there of). She said it I wrote it, If she hadn't it wouldn't be in there.
  • Grimmerick
    Options

believe what you want doesn't mean it didn't or doesn't happen. Besides where on here besides the original post do you see anyone mentioning race besides you? And it's only in the original post because that is what SHE said our of her own mouth under her own brain power. She said it I wrote it, If she hadn't it wouldn't be in there.

Be careful

no I'll be honest first.
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    Caporegiem wrote: »
    People give way too much credit to cashier training :lol:

Be polite, call a manager, don't chase after thieves. That's all I was ever told.

Maybe if you'd completed your training....

ce68d0d4c51dfb174ab3c03daf6ffb72--multiple-sclerosis-star-wars-characters.jpg

I completed the "don't molest people" training! Doesn't that count

You know I just completed that same training at work. Apparently I'm not supposed to crawl under someone's desk while they're sitting at it. Whoops.....