What am I doing wrong?

I am a 50 yr old woman who needs to loose 50 lbs. For the past 3 weeks. I have been doing 60 min of cardio 5-6 days a week, pretty vigorously, Doing strength training 3 - 4 days a week. I am sweating to the point of dripping (something I haven't done before) and eating 1,200- 1,500 calories a day and yet I have not lost ANY WEIGHT. I am going to schedule an appointment with a personal trainer but I don't know what I am doing wrong. I would love some feed back.

Replies

• PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Says you lost 5 pounds. That's something.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Hard to say unless your diary is open but I will agree 5lbs is a big progress since May
  • cwaters120
    cwaters120 Posts: 354 Member
    opening your diary can make more info available to help. That being said, check your calories. are you eating enough? check your water. Are you getting enough? check your sodium. is it low enough? all things (and more) people can help with if you open your diary.
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    That is a lot of working out. You actually may not be eating enough for the amount of activity.

Have you had a physical to make sure everything is in order? Also, are you consistent with your logging? Are you eating back your exercise calories?
  • cathyg321
    cathyg321 Posts: 155 Member
    Remember: whatever calories you burn during exercise you NEED to eat back!
  • PepperWorm

False. Depends on the method.

MFP hyper overestimates the calorie burn. If you go by MFP estimations, eat back no more than 50%.

From the looks of your exercise regimen, it's possible you aren't eating enough. Try this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

Do you have a digital food scale? If not, invest in one and start weighing all of your food.
  • weightlossdiva1219
    weightlossdiva1219 Posts: 283 Member
    Don't be discouraged. Are you eating high sodium foods or processed foods? Diet is essential as well. Also, you could be GAINING muscle which weighs more than fat, and losing inches. Try taking pictures of yourself and measuring yourself instead. Good luck to you I'm sure you'll do great. Just DONT GIVE UP! :)
  • rezn8
    rezn8 Posts: 263 Member
    you are not eating enough to support your workouts. Plus when you first begin working out, often your body will retain fluid to supply the muscles.
  • rhinesb
    rhinesb Posts: 204 Member
    I will always ask this, "DO YOU MEASURE?" as I have this very same problem. I've been stuck at around the same pounds for 3-4 weeks. BUT I'm not worried as I've seen my body changing. I've lost quite a few inches during that same time that I've lost no weight. So if you aren't measuring then you really should start. If you measure and you still see no change then start looking at your diet and assess whether or not you are eating too much or not eating enough.
  • cathyg321
    cathyg321 Posts: 155 Member

MFP hyper overestimates the calorie burn. If you go by MFP estimations, eat back no more than 50%.

From the looks of your exercise regimen, it's possible you aren't eating enough. Try this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

Do you have a digital food scale? If not, invest in one and start weighing all of your food.

Thanks for the advice, I stand corrected!!
  • weightlossdiva1219

Yeah no you don't have to eat your calories back. I never do and I lose 10 lbs/mo so far. As long as you're eating enough FOOD calories, net isnt that big of a deal. BUT everyones body is different :)
  • Just_Scott
    Just_Scott Posts: 1,766 Member
    Not sure I want t o respond--some of what I'm reading just concerns me. TDEE minus 20% to lose weight--start there and search it in the threads. Read about TDEE and the methods to determine your BMR, go to Fit2Fat Radio and try those measurements, since they are scientific.

Hope this helps--if you read this and are confused message me.
  • grdaze
    grdaze Posts: 195 Member
    how much water are you drinking? Whatever your weight is, divide by 2 and make sure that is the number of ounces you get each day.
  • weightlossdiva1219
    Not sure I want t o respond--some of what I'm reading just concerns me. TDEE minus 20% to lose weight--start there and search it in the threads. Read about TDEE and the methods to determine your BMR, go to Fit2Fat Radio and try those measurements, since they are scientific.

I tried that and I was overstuffng myself to get the calories in. That's why I don't eat back my calories. My mom has a double major (nutrition and exercise phsyiologist) is also a fitness instructor and so I kind of use her as my personal trainer :P I asked about not eating my calories back. Afterall, some days my net is under 1000. She said no problem, and thank god, cause I was not able to eat that much.
  • At around the two week mark in a new exercise regime, the body goes into survival mode and starts hanging on to anything it can. Don't worry, if you stick with this, the weight is going to start coming off, that kind of hard work does not go unrewarded. Give it two more weeks and you will be seeing bigger numbers. That being said, yes, do visit your physician/dietician for a review.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    nothing there says she lost 5 pounds
    maybe you aren't eating enough calories???
  • Try strength training 2 days a week and cardio 4 days a week.
  • PepperWorm

I tried that and I was overstuffng myself to get the calories in. That's why I don't eat back my calories. My mom has a double major (nutrition and exercise phsyiologist) is also a fitness instructor and so I kind of use her as my personal trainer :P I asked about not eating my calories back. Afterall, some days my net is under 1000. She said no problem, and thank god, cause I was not able to eat that much.

This makes me so sad.

Yeah, you may be losing weight...but 10 lbs a month?! That's most likely to be LBM and water loss with fat.

You're not even eating enough to keep your organs functioning.
  • PepperWorm
    maybe you aren't eating enough calories???

Her ticker says she did! At least that's what I see.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,174 Member

Her ticker does.