To Do in Boston

Options
SteadyDoinIt281
SteadyDoinIt281 Posts: 24 Member
Going September 27-30 and looking for some recommendations. Can be in the city itself or in surrounding areas. Day time, night time, restaurants, coffee shops, bars, sight seeing.

Going to Fenway for sure, but we're otherwise still open.

Thanks for any tips!

Replies

• SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Going September 27-30 and looking for some recommendations. Can be in the city itself or in surrounding areas. Day time, night time, restaurants, coffee shops, bars, sight seeing.

Going to Fenway for sure, but we're otherwise still open.

Thanks for any tips!

1. Cheers, both the original and the one made to look like the one from the show
    2. Walk around Harvard at night playing theme from The Social Network
    3. Paul Revere's run
    4. US Constitution
    5. JFK Presidential Museum
    6. Throw some tea in the harbor
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    I'd go to the Olive Garden there, top notch fine dining that Olive Gahden in Boston.
  • Lyric_Momma
    Lyric_Momma Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Fire and ice! I love the aquarium too, but that's if you are going with kids or like that sort of thing.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    I hear Mark Wahlberg greats you at the airport with a bowl of clam chowder and gives you a tour

And says hello to your mother.
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    I hear Mark Wahlberg greats you at the airport with a bowl of clam chowder and gives you a tour

And says hello to your mother.

Laughinggg
  • nmtGurl
    nmtGurl Posts: 159 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Just off the top of my head
    • Modern Pastry or Mike's Pastry...or both! - North End Boston (gotta try the Lobster Tail pastry)
    • Boston Duck Tours
    • Boston Trolley Tours
    • John Quincy Adams House (Quincy, MA)
    • Museum of Fine Arts - Wednesday nights after 4 pm FREE, admission is by voluntary contribution (suggested donation $25)
    • Walk the Freedom Trail
    • Museum of Science/IMAX Theatre
    • New England Aquarium
    • Boston Common/Swan boats
    • Granary Burial Ground (John Hancock, Sam Adams, Paul Revere, etc)
    • Bunker Hill Monument - no elevator, great views of Boston if you can walk up the 294 step :)
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Drink

The Bell In Hand Tavern
    Oldest bar
  • dc8066
    dc8066 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Fire and ice! I love the aquarium too, but that's if you are going with kids or like that sort of thing.

Fire and Ice is my fave too!
  • dc8066
    dc8066 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Harvard, Cheers, whale watching, Skywalk at Prudential Center, Cape Cod
  • MidModJenn
    MidModJenn Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Here's a nice walk that could take you most of the day:
    - Start on the lower end of Newbury Street, at the intersection of Newbury and Mass Ave. Have a late breakfast at Trident Booksellers and Cafe.
    - Spend the morning walking all the way up the street; it's all funky shops and cafes, and the stores get really high-end as you go along.
    - Newbury ends at the Public Garden; walk north-west through the garden to check out the swan boats and beautiful greenery.
    - Come out the garden on Beacon Street, and hit Cheers for a beer and photo op.
    - From Cheers, walk up Charles St which takes you through the main section of Beacon Hill. Amazing old neighborhood, lots of fun stuff to see, with cool old houses and cobblestone streets that make you feel like you're in Europe. Have a late lunch at one of the amazing restaurants there, or...
    - ...eat at Scampo, in the Liberty Hotel at the end of Charles St. The hotel used to be the county jail, so it's really fun to check out... and Scampo has a to-die-for lobster pizza that is worth breaking every diet rule for. Plus you'll have worked it off with all that walking!

On another note, since you're open to heading out of Boston proper -- Harvard Square is really fun in the evenings, there's a T stop right there that lets you out in the heart of everything. There's a Fire & Ice location there (as others have mentioned on this thread), it's a mongolian BBQ place where you choose your ingredients and sauces so you can be as healthy or as decadent as you want.

Have a blast!
  • Robertofelipe64
    Robertofelipe64 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    1) New England Aquarium
    2) Dunkies
    3) Franklin Park Zoo
    4) Boston Common
    5) Dunkies again
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,506 Member
    Options
    I love New England; it's the best.

While visiting, make sure to enjoy some of the best seafood on Earth.

ljs_old_store.jpg
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Best Boston recommendation anyone can give you is, dont drive in Boston. Not only is the entire city poorly planned because it is built and renovated over one of the oldest cities in NA, but the drivers are lunatics. If you can avoid it, you will have a much better time.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    I just drove through Boston two weeks(ish) ago. I loved it although I literally drove through. Neat tunnels and bridges. Compared to where I live traffic was great, I was quite pleasantly surprised.

It was cool driving through some of the older sections...you can really see the age of the city. I think the area I'm talking about was called Marblehead (based on the geotagging on my pics) There is a beautiful harbourfront and a really cool old cemetery that I stopped at.

I had a lot of fun touring Salem...beautiful architecture on some of the older buildings. Visiting the oldest cemetery was cool, but also sad. I went to an awesome restaurant called Victoria Station, it was on the waterfront and they had great food and a nice patio.