Ideas for vegan, low-calorie recipes?

Options
AnnieintheN0rth
AnnieintheN0rth Posts: 33 Member
I'd love any suggestions for vegan, low-cal meals. Preferably, not with exotic ingredients, not a great selection where I live. Getting tired of my staples of quorn chicken, stir fries and oats.

Thanks

Replies

• Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Quorn chicken? I googled this and got:
    All Quorn foods contain mycoprotein as an ingredient, which is derived from the Fusarium venenatum fungus and is grown by fermentation using a process that its manufacturer has described as similar to the production of beer or yogurt.
    Maybe you can order things like Quinoa, and black beans online? Canned tomatoes? Barley? Lentils so you can make your own lentil burgers? Wheat pasta? No produce like sweet potatoes where you live?
  • crinus
    crinus Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Pintrest has a lot of really great vegetarian recipes. I have been trying to eat less meat and I would like to cut my meat consumption down to one day a week or less and eventually cut it out all together.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Scottish lentil soup

Chop an onion, a carrot and two or three potatoes. Fry till onion is soft. Add red lentils* and veg stock or well-salted water.

Cook in pressure cooker (10 min at 15psi), in saucepan (simmer ~1 hour) or slow cooker (4-5 hours on High or 8-10 hours on Low).

Lentils should disintegrate. Stir and taste - if it's bland, it needs salt (lentils soak up a LOT of salt). Serve with fresh scones.

*Amount of lentils is hard to say as it depends how thick you like it - try 1 part lentils to 3 or 4 parts water and go from there. It will thicken on standing - if too thick just stir in some hot water.

Scones for soup

- 8oz (225g) self raising flour
    - 1.5oz (38g) hard fat (eg margarine, coconut oil (butter if you're not vegan))
    - Pinch of salt
    - Tasty mixins. I add cheese and herbs, you could try that nutritional yeast stuff, spices, seeds, toasted nuts, whatever you please
    - Liquid to mix, you can use any kind of milk or just water.

Rub fat into flour (doesn't matter if some lumps remain). Add salt and mixins. Stir up with a table knife, then add liquid, a bit at a time, mixing with the knife, until it starts to form a ball of dough.

Put the dough on a baking tray (some greaseproof paper stops it sticking). Pat into a thick flat circle. If you want, paint with milk or water and sprinkle eg seeds on top (optional).

Cut into wedges, pull the wedges apart, then bake, 180C/350F for 15min.

Serve hot with the soup, split open and spread with some kind of butter alternative.

ETA the soup is very low calorie, and if you behave yourself with the scones, this whole meal is good calorie value. But behaving yourself around fresh scones can be hard. You have been warned.
  • PaigeInTechnicolor
    PaigeInTechnicolor Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    My personal favorite for "the make a pan of this for all week long" catagory. Takes a bit of time, but all ingredients are pretty easy to find.

8 tortillas
    4 oz vegan cheese (If you can find it, if not, no biggie) cheddar, jack, queso fresco or similar.
    Filling-
    2 tblsp oil of your choice (I use evoo)
    4 or so cloves of garlic
    ½ onion
    1.5 tblsp oregano
    5 large carrots
    2 cans drained low sodium black beans
    1 cup salsa (I use the premade stuff from the refrigerated section, but making your own would be better)
    Sauce-
    16oz low sodium tomato puree
    2 cups low sodium vegetable stock
    2 tbsp chili powder ( yes, that’s a lot )
    1tsp cumin
    1tsp smoked paprika
    2 tsp garlic salt, or sauteed garlic, 3 cloves, if you prefer

Sauce:
    Add all ingredients to saucepan, let simmer 20 minutes, stir occasionally

Filling:
    Grate carrots
    Sautee garlic and onions over medium heat in oil
    Add carrots and oregano, let cook down until not quite crunchy (about 15 minutes)
    Meanwhile, blend black beans, reserving half to a quarter (depending on how much bean texture you want)
    Add black beans and salsa to carrot mixture, stir to blend flavors (about 5 minutes) and remove from heat.

Enchiladas:
    Preheat oven to 275f
    Put just enough sauce to cover bottom of large casserole pan.
    Roll filling into tortillas, like a burrito, divide as evenly as possible.
    Put these tightly into pan
    Cover with sauce, making sure to get all edges and sides.
    Cover with vegan cheese
    Put in oven until bubbly and delicious

makes 8 giant enchilladas, aprox 375 cal, before topping with guac, etc.
    filling by itself also delish in a burrito with fresh veggies
  • PaigeInTechnicolor
    PaigeInTechnicolor Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Also easy: zoodles in marinara. You can use a veg peeler if you don't have a spiralizer. Just make sure the sauce is decent.
  • Malyssam27
    Malyssam27 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Check out Forks over Knives website. Also, super easy, a cookbook called the Everyday Happy Herbivore.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I created this recipe when I was following a vegan diet. I enjoyed it because it had so many different textures and flavors in it. If you try it, I hope you enjoy it too.

Lentil Soup with Corn and Olives
    Number of servings 7
    Serving size 2 cups
    311 Calories, 15g Protein, 8g Fat, 46g Carbs

Use 2 T Olive oil to saute:
    Yellow Onion, 1 large (3”, 8.5 oz, 230 g
    Garlic – Raw, 3 cloves
    Squash – Zucchini, includes skin, raw, 3 cup, chopped

Add:
    Imagine Organic – No-Chicken Broth, 2 cups (or more if you prefer)
    1 container of Trader Joe’s Steamed Lentils (or 2 1/2 cups of cooked lentils)
    15 oz can Black Beans, Rinsed
    15 oz can White Beans
    28 oz can Diced Tomatoes with juice
    1 cup frozen corn
    1 cup pitted green olives
    ½ tsp. Coriander
    1 tsp. Cayenne

Heat through, then add ¼ cup fresh Parsley, salt and pepper to taste

• Susiefun
    Susiefun Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    A good resource is youtube, just google vegan food prep, and there are videos of often easy, week long vegan menus. Otherwise,

Chili (beans, canned tomatoes, beans, corn, onion, bell pepper, spices, etc)

Spaghetti squash with marinara

Vegan hot dogs on organic buns with saurkraut, onions and mustard. They were 3 grams of fat total, and not too many calories.

Mashed potatoes and vegan gravy with steamed vegetables is something we eat when we are low on groceries because we have instant mashed potatoes on hand. Or you could mash your own potatoes.

Big pot of split pea soup (vegetable soups of all kinds... very low calorie!)

Curry dishes tend to fill me up. Maybe a curry simmer sauce with onions and vegetables, over a little bit of rice.

• evlmidget
    evlmidget Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hop on pinterest. Tons of recipes
  • hannamarie0098
    hannamarie0098 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Quorn chicken? I googled this and got:
    All Quorn foods contain mycoprotein as an ingredient, which is derived from the Fusarium venenatum fungus and is grown by fermentation using a process that its manufacturer has described as similar to the production of beer or yogurt.
    Maybe you can order things like Quinoa, and black beans online? Canned tomatoes? Barley? Lentils so you can make your own lentil burgers? Wheat pasta? No produce like sweet potatoes where you live?

It's the egg in quorn products you need to watch out for, not the fungus, if your concern is avoiding animal products.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    There is a special vegan range of quorn now without the egg. Might be what OP meant.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you looking at?
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of fungus not being vegan. That would be inconvenient.
  • sqwelchy_2007
    sqwelchy_2007 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Tofu stir fry, and if you have a sweet tooth try tofu cheesecake. Low cal, high protein.
  • BalkanBlonde
    BalkanBlonde Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Eziekial toast topped with avocado, onion, tomato, cucumber salt and EVOO to taste
  • claireagray
    claireagray Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Malyssam27 wrote: »
    Check out Forks over Knives website. Also, super easy, a cookbook called the Everyday Happy Herbivore.

That's a great book, I've used lots of their recipies
  • dinadyna21
    dinadyna21 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Curried lentil spinach bake was a favorite of mine when I was vegan, pretty easy to make.
    Also zoodles with coconut curry sauce.
  • ana_varn
    ana_varn Posts: 98 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I'm not a vegan but maybe try these out: lentil soup, chickpea soup, bean soup, fruit salad, soy "mince" sauce with pasta (think pasta bolognese)... actually most "vegan" foods are low-cal except maybe nut butters and nuts overall.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    ana_varn wrote: »
    I'm not a vegan but maybe try these out: lentil soup, chickpea soup, bean soup, fruit salad, soy "mince" sauce with pasta (think pasta bolognese)... actually most "vegan" foods are low-cal except maybe nut butters and nuts overall.

Vegan food can be just as high calorie as other foods when you factor in things like coconut, avocado, beans, grains, plant oils, olives, potatoes, vegan butter/mayo, etc. I've been logging as a vegan for over three years now and I've certainly found a lot of higher calorie vegan dishes.
  • jaclynndabbs
    jaclynndabbs Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Tonight I made a roasted cabbage steak and then topped it with a vegan mushroom gravy that I made from sauteing mushrooms in water and liquid aminos, then added unsweetened cashew yogurt drink, nutritional yeast, and garlic powder. It was sooo yummy! Very low calorie and quite filling.