Legs hurt

Options
clarannebrowning
clarannebrowning Posts: 24 Member
edited August 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
I went swimming today and I have for the last couple of weeks . It's not vigorous as some think I should do but I swim with my grandson play water football and basketball which we're even at it I must say. But I feel fine while I'm in the water but about a hour out of the water my legs hurt so badly. Is it just getting used to using them that makes them hurt because they are always moving in the water. I'm not complaining just wanted to know is there something I can do to keep them from hurting so badly after. My one friend suggested me wrap my legs in a warm towel when I get home to soothe the muscles anyone got any other suggestions

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    How long are you swimming? Where do your legs hurt and what kind of pain is it? Cramps?

Are you swimming laps or just goofing around? If swimming laps, your kick is probably off. This happened to me. Work with an adult swim instructor to correct your kick and/or watch lots of youtube videos. It took me quite awhile to implement.
    If the pool has a hot tub, try using that for a few minutes after swimming.
    Also consider a warm up routine and cool down/stretch routine.
  • clarannebrowning
    clarannebrowning Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm swimming laps with my grandson but leisurely and I'm swimming for about 2 hours. And my legs hurt upper thighs
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I'm swimming laps with my grandson but leisurely and I'm swimming for about 2 hours. And my legs hurt upper thighs

You might be overdoing it, that's a long time to swim laps, especially just starting out! My legs would hurt too. Do get your kick checked, though.