Cardio class and 30 day shred?

Options
Asking a weird/ possibly dumb question here but I'm starting my 30 day shred workouts tomorrow but I'm also starting my cardio class at school at the end of august.. so in all honestly and not much knowledge of exercise/dieting.. is it possible to be too much working out? I've got a lot to lose ( 80 pounds) and I think I can handle the 20 minute videos and my class but is it ok? Is it possible to work out "too much" or overdo it or something? Thanks everyone!

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Meh, I did 30 day shred in the mornings before work and managed another workout after work most days when I first started here.
  • SisepuedeLinda
    SisepuedeLinda Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Meh, I did 30 day shred in the mornings before work and managed another workout after work most days when I first started here.

All right cool :)

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Asking a weird/ possibly dumb question here but I'm starting my 30 day shred workouts tomorrow but I'm also starting my cardio class at school at the end of august.. so in all honestly and not much knowledge of exercise/dieting.. is it possible to be too much working out? I've got a lot to lose ( 80 pounds) and I think I can handle the 20 minute videos and my class but is it ok? Is it possible to work out "too much" or overdo it or something? Thanks everyone!

it is possible to over train, but what you're suggesting is nowhere near so i wouldn't worry.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    It's def possible but I think you should work up to that level of exercise instead of jumping right in. But that's just a general thought, if it works for you, stick with it!
  • SisepuedeLinda
    SisepuedeLinda Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Just one more question: I keep reading religiously on the boards here and it says to lose weight I should not focus too much on exercise.. thoughts anyone? Lol if I don't have to exercise sign me up! Buttt if it really does help then I don't mind since my overall goal is almost 100 pound loss.
  • sandi_lacey
    sandi_lacey Posts: 1 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Its not just about excercise. You need to eat healthy. Combine the two and you will do just fine. Make sure you drink plenty of water and always use your rest days. The MyFitnessPal app really helps me stay on track. :)
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    What matters for weight loss is calories in calories out, or basically not eating more calories than you burn over a period of time. So yes you can lose weight without exercise. However many people are aiming for a body that looks lean and fit, and in that case you'll want to do strength training.

In addition to that if you burn extra calories with exercise you can eat those back while still keeping a deficit, which can make it easier for many people to cope with eating fewer calories than normal.

For me personally I find it way more fun to incorporate workouts, not to mention I get a mood boost and can eat a little extra without guilt. Also I notice visible results faster with workouts, as my body changes, than when I only eat at a deficit... sometimes it's not always pounds lost that are important and motivating but also the way I feel and look.

As for doing both in one day, if you space them out it's very easier to do both. You may end up wanting to only do one per day depending on how you feel, but I often do both in a day, and then I take the next day off to recover. Good luck!
  • liyah1985
    liyah1985 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Back when I was in my 20s I would workout 6 days a week between 2-3 hours a day. I think it all depends on your lifestyle and what you do after and in between. Now I can't workout as much because I work on my feet everyday. I did a 2 hour workout yesterday and felt horrible at work today. I've hit the gym 5 days in 7 but I think it's this last workout that I pushed. Just properly rest your body and drink lots of water. Also baths help your sore muscles.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Just one more question: I keep reading religiously on the boards here and it says to lose weight I should not focus too much on exercise.. thoughts anyone? Lol if I don't have to exercise sign me up! Buttt if it really does help then I don't mind since my overall goal is almost 100 pound loss.

IMO, the problem with creating a deficit solely with exercise, is what happens when you get an injury, or are ill, or have to work late and don't have time to workout?

by having a calorie deficit before exercise, this isn't an issue, and i personally like 'earning' my exercise cals.