Could you really be healthy at 5'7 and 113?

kimber607
kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
edited September 18 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey everyone

This is so dumb..but my FIL gets playboy and gives it to Dh after he finishes reading it
Anyway, I admit..I was glancing through and the centerfold claims she is 5'7 (my height) and weighs 113?
Is that possible w/ out looking completely ill and could that be healthy?
I guess some celebes and models are that thin....

Just throwing it out there for discussion
I'm 5'7 right now and 133 (started here at 155)

Kim

Replies

• kimber607
    Hey everyone

This is so dumb..but my FIL gets playboy and gives it to Dh after he finishes reading it
    Anyway, I admit..I was glancing through and the centerfold claims she is 5'7 (my height) and weighs 113?
    Is that possible w/ out looking completely ill and could that be healthy?
    I guess some celebes and models are that thin....

Just throwing it out there for discussion
    I'm 5'7 right now and 133 (started here at 155)

Kim
  • iojoi
    iojoi Posts: 378 Member
    check it on the BMI in tools and see what you think?
    I am also 5ft 7" and i would look dreadful at that weight
    the lowest i have ever been was 128 lbs and i looked skeletal at the time but I have a large frame
    its about what you want and what you are content with? for me with my build thats a step too far.
  • kimber607
    Hi

I agree!!!
    I was just curious what others thought...

Kim
  • sgtinvincible
    sgtinvincible Posts: 2,559
    check it on the BMI in tools and see what you think?
    I am also 5ft 7" and i would look dreadful at that weight
    the lowest i have ever been was 128 lbs and i looked skeletal at the time but I have a large frame
    its about what you want and what you are content with? for me with my build thats a step too far.

Agreed. :smile: It is very possible to be too skinny, and that to me is a major turnoff.
  • iojoi
    iojoi Posts: 378 Member
    its a shame these claims get published it puts so much pressure on some to conform to something that isnt healthy or responsible. Getting down to an ideal weight is hard enough without feeling that you should lose even more weight.
  • kimber607
    Hi

What's scary is that as a 34yr old woman, I'm mature enough now to realize that even if I'm the same height as this woman, 113 just isn't appropriate for ME...I need to do what is best for ME
    Young girls don't have this perspective....

Kim
  • Loretta_Jo
    Loretta_Jo Posts: 609 Member
    Agreed. :smile: It is very possible to be too skinny, and that to me is a major turnoff.

WooHoo! Listen up ladies that’s a man speaking there and he said it is a turn off to him to be too thin and I know that he isn’t alone there either.
    No man wants a woman he has to shake the sheets out to find. The only one that wants a bone is a dog and he buries it.
    Thank you for speaking up sgtinvincible and letting us know how you feel about this.
    LoJo :flowerforyou:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    It's amazing to me how low an "attractive" weight is going. The other day, the "80s-tastic" movie "Working Girl" was on TV. . .and I kept marveling at how heavy Melanie Griffith looked. The point is, she wasn't "heavy" she was a movie star, and up to the 80s ideal. You can do the same experiment with watching early reruns of "Friends" compared to later ones. Jennifer Anniston looks normal in the early ones, and then gets skinnier and skinnier as time goes on.

I could go on a long feminist diatribe about how if we're starving we can't make any trouble, but I'll stop there.

It's just interesting how bones are becoming the new curves.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    woof that's a BMI of 17.7 and that is considered unhealthy, and I agree wholeheartedly. That's a little gross as far as im concerned. if you have a BMI of under about 20 or so, you're too thin for me. I wouldn't want to break anyone.:tongue:

Hey, my thoughts? Curves are sexy!
  • kimber607
    Hi

I hear ya..and that seems to be what ALL men say
    Just throwing this out their to debate..but are u telling me you don't think the centerfold in playboy is attractive..most men would think she is TOO thin?
    If you saw her in 'real' life you would think her body was unattractive?

Kim
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Hi, just my 2 cents Kimber but I'm willing to bet that centerfold weighs more than she claims. I have seen centerfolds in playboy before and they tend to be almost muscular, usually quite curvy and attractive. I have never seen one that is a rack of bones like that height to weight ratio suggests!
  • sgtinvincible
    Yeah, I am almost positive that she weighs more than that. Add in airbrushing, etc, and chances are she has just as many blemishes etc as anyone else.

I'm with Banks on the whole 'breakage' issue. As a muscular guy, I want my lady to be able to withstand a simple ggood hug without me having to worry about hurting her. Much less when things become....more vigorous. :bigsmile:
  • I wouldn't want to break anyone.:tongue:

I'm with Banks on the whole 'breakage' issue. As a muscular guy, I want my lady to be able to withstand a simple ggood hug without me having to worry about hurting her. Much less when things become....more vigorous.:bigsmile:

Banks and Sarge......you two kill me, I really enjoy reading y'alls posts. Too bad you don't live closer to Arkansas, I'd invite y'all over for some beer and BBQ and kick back and enjoy listening to you two. :laugh:
  • GinaB30
    GinaB30 Posts: 725 Member
    I was 123 lbs and 5'8 (medium build) and was very sickly looking...very very!
    I was starving myself to be that thin and I'm pretty sure that if that girl isn't naturally very thin than she's probably doing what I was and is sickly! :sick:
    On me at the time you could see every bone and I was starting to have heart palpatations...

I'm very glad that once we grow UP and get some age behind us we can look back and see how bad that was for us!
    I'd never wish to be that thin again!!
  • abbychelle07
    abbychelle07 Posts: 656 Member

No man wants a woman he has to shake the sheets out to find. The only one that wants a bone is a dog and he buries it.

OMG, I almost died laughing!! :laugh:
  • sgtinvincible
    Banks and Sarge......you two kill me, I really enjoy reading y'alls posts. Too bad you don't live closer to Arkansas, I'd invite y'all over for some beer and BBQ and kick back and enjoy listening to you two. :laugh:

Now, as a good southern boy, I could DEFINATELY go for some beer and BBQ. :bigsmile:
  • sgtinvincible

OMG, I almost died laughing!! :laugh:

Lol, yeah, now that's a metaphor I can get behind. :laugh:
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    At one point in my life I was underweight (according to my doctor). I am 5'7 and I weighed 125 lbs. I got my butt jumped all over by the doctor and was told that I needed to gain about 15 lbs.

I agree that the media sometimes promotes an unhealthy standard as far as women's bodies are concerned. We can't ALL be a size 2, and it's unrealistic to be expected to do so. I am aiming for a HEALTHY (for me) weight of 145...

And yes, those Playboy models probably do "embellish" their stats a little.
  • blakfar
    blakfar Posts: 4
    Hi everyone!

I have never posted a message before, I have just recently started coming on this website. I joined out of curiousity to see how many calories I eat and burn in a day. I am currently 24 years old, 5'4", and 104 lbs. According to the BMI I am considered underweight. I have a very small frame and eat perfectly healthy. Actually, people always find it hard to believe that I eat so much and stay so small. My doctor has no concerns either. I'm not saying that some of these extremely small women in show buisness aren't starving themselves, but, on the other hand, not all small people are unhealthy. It's sometimes just natural.
  • sgtinvincible
    Hi everyone!

I have never posted a message before, I have just recently started coming on this website. I joined out of curiousity to see how many calories I eat and burn in a day. I am currently 24 years old, 5'4", and 104 lbs. According to the BMI I am considered underweight. I have a very small frame and eat perfectly healthy. Actually, people always find it hard to believe that I eat so much and stay so small. My doctor has no concerns either. I'm not saying that some of these extremely small women in show buisness aren't starving themselves, but, on the other hand, not all small people are unhealthy. It's sometimes just natural.

I agree with that also. My ex was 5'4" and weighed 108. She was small, but never seemed unhealthy. She once lost down to around 98 pounds though, and she began looking sickly. I guess the thing, is that when you are a smaller framed person, you don't have as much room to work with weight, either over or under. I can put on or lose ten pounds and not really notice. I would think someone your size doesn't share that luxury. :smile:

-Jeremy
This discussion has been closed.