Hot weather and calories burnt

I live in the Caribbean and had a question to which I'm getting conflicting answered.

I have just moved back to the Caribbean after 3 years, so I am mindful of the heat here. My workout at the moment is just walking. I walk for just over an hour, before getting ready for work (yes we do work here, not just lie on the beach drinking froo-froo cocktails). Back in Germany I would also walk and managed 7km in 64 min. (Hey, I'm a 52 year old business owner, not a25 year old he-man). The thing is, here I am only managing 6km in 65 min. The biggest change is of course the weather. In Germany, at 6am, it was 15°C (59F), whereas here in the Caribbean, at 6am it is 30°C (86F).

It is obvious to me that the heat is slowing me down. It is also obvious that with the elevated ambient temperature, that my body has to work harder to keep cool.

With my body having to work harder, I was wondering if it were possible to work out how many calories I burn up here, compared to Germany?

Thanks for your help.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    for walking use bodyweight in lbs x 0.3 x distance in miles.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Assuming you know how many calories you were burning in Germany you would need only determine the number of calories you are burning now. This is the number of calories you are eating minus the lbs gained times 3500.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    bluemax65 wrote: »
    With my body having to work harder, I was wondering if it were possible to work out how many calories I burn up here, compared to Germany?

Your body was working harder 24 x 7 in Germany to keep your body temperature up - about 37c is "normal" I believe.