Crushed Chia Seeds vs. Whole Chia Seeds?

Options
Years ago, someone told me that consuming whole Chia seeds was basically pointless, since the seed has to be broken open (crushed), in order for the body to absorb the nutrition from it. However, I was watching a health documentary the other day that talked briefly about how helpful chia seeds were for repairing the body because they were gelatinous (like aloe vera), and their example showed a person consuming whole chia seeds.

My question: Are whole chia seeda just as nutritious as crushed chia seeds, assuming that one doesn't chew every single seed?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I've never crushed chia seeds - but I do crush flax seeds.
  • grannypuss
    grannypuss Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I mix a tsp each of flaxseeds - both uncrushed - with raw oatmeal for my breakfast, stir in enough milk to moisten it & heat in the m/wave for about 1 min. I cannot remember the nutrition stuff for each of them but agree about the gelatinous nature of the chia; the flaxseeds help with roughage for me
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    The internet says you don't need to crush chia seeds like flax, so I don't. As a lay person who eats chia seeds, I don't think they have a mouth-feel like something your stomach would be unable to digest.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Flax seed is what you need to grind before consuming, otherwise it will pass right through. Chia seeds are fine as is though.