Tips on Sugar Craving?

Options
Sugar is my biggest weakness! I would love some tips on how to get over my cravings. I make sure to eat as much fruit as I want but I crave sour candy really badly. Pickles help kick the craving for a little bit but it's a struggle. Thanks!

Replies

• kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Why are you trying to cut sugar out? Are you doing low carb? Fruit has lots of carbs and sugar. Surely you can fit sour candy or small sweets into your daily calories, can't you? I used to be very restrictive about sugar and sweets ( keto diet for 5 months). . When I did this, I would crave it even more! I wanted cake and muffins and chocolate so bad!. I found that it made me miserable and nothing I did or ate would take the cravings away. I ended up having cheat days and feeling awful. I quit keto and found what and how to include the foods that I love into my calories. Everyday I have treats and sweets and as long as I am eating my calories or under, I'm fine. It makes me really satisfied, not restricting myself from what I want.
  • RoseGold1992
    RoseGold1992 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Don't give it up, just portion it.
  • theman900
    theman900 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Sugar isnt to bad in moderation
    However cravings can be a pain sometimes here are some tips i find help Instead of fruits try more starchier carbs like sweet potatoes or potatoes ,plantains etc seaoson with cinnamon also
    Try eating alot more fibre from veggies like.broccolli cauliflower cabbage etc
    Try coconut products such as coconut flour flakes butter their super filling quick recipe mash 1 sweet potato/banana with 2 tbsp coconut flour sweeten stevia cinnamon microwave for a mini cup.cake
    Try sweetening warm drinks like teas with stevia it helps also stevia seems to be a legit sweetener without negative effects of other artificial sweetners
    Funny you mention pickles helps you it has acetic vinegar alot of people find apple coder vinegar does the same for them
    These tips have helped alot personally for me and freinds
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    For me, added sugars cause me to crave sugar, and going cold turkey on them helps. After about two weeks of eating only naturally sweet foods, the cravings disappear, tastebuds reset, and soda, candy, and other sweets don't even taste good.

Also, like you I had a problem with craving sour candy, and taking a vitamin C supplement helped. Try eating citrus fruits instead. The problem with eating a diet full of artificial foods with low nutritional value is that your body gets confused - so it helps to figure out what you are really craving.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Savory and salty fooda are supposed to help. I've found that some air popped popcorn with a little butter flavored PAM and taco seasoning or tajin really helps when I'm going sugar crazy.
  • Mojame9
    Mojame9 Posts: 32 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Sugar is my biggest weakness! I would love some tips on how to get over my cravings. I make sure to eat as much fruit as I want but I crave sour candy really badly. Pickles help kick the craving for a little bit but it's a struggle. Thanks!

I just posted a pic of alternatives when you get cravings. I'm not sure how to post pictures in forum. So check out my wall.
    There's nothing specific in there for sugar per se. But for chocolate cravings suggestions include dark chocolate nuts seeds fruit whole grains and greens.
    For fizzy drink craving suggestions include sesame seeds broccoli and mustard.
    Give it a try...?
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Mentos make a gum called red lime, that is not red and does not taste limey. It's pink and orange and sour and delicious. I had a hard time finding it so I ordered on Amazon. Give it a try.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

Sugar is sugar, whether you get it from fruit or sour gummies.

My go-to when I'm craving something sweet but am out of calories for the day is sugarless gum. I especially like the "5" brand Wintermint flavour. Keeps my mouth busy and takes the edge off of my need for something sweet. :)
  • zjpq
    zjpq Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I just work a little chocolate etc into my day or try a really good apple to see if that's enough sweet to satisfy the craving
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    Honestly im for the fit it in approach, But i have found for me personally fitting it in isnt always best. I have found green smoothies help....When im craving stuff to me its a sign my body wants something and i dont always quite know what that something is. Whipping up a sweet green smoothie full of nutrients was a quick easy way to get in as much nutrition quickly as i could find. And honestly it helps. Alot lol. Most cravings disapear within a few sips and the sweetness is built right in xD Im semi cringing at how woo-like i sound, But im not claiming them to be the cure-all to everything....Just seems to help when im not quite sure what it is my body needs XD
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    Honestly im for the fit it in approach, But i have found for me personally fitting it in isnt always best. I have found green smoothies help....When im craving stuff to me its a sign my body wants something and i dont always quite know what that something is. Whipping up a sweet green smoothie full of nutrients was a quick easy way to get in as much nutrition quickly as i could find. And honestly it helps. Alot lol. Most cravings disapear within a few sips and the sweetness is built right in xD Im semi cringing at how woo-like i sound, But im not claiming them to be the cure-all to everything....Just seems to help when im not quite sure what it is my body needs XD

I tried the green smoothie approach myself today, and I'm hoping it will help. I've been feeling out of sorts since coming back from a vacation where I ate a bit more carbs and sugar than usual. I didn't go wild or anything, but just the extra I had sent me into craving mode again. I'm thinking about food all the time, and crazy hungry for no good reason.

For the past 4 days since I've been back, I keep caving a bit to the cravings, but I've been super determined today to return to my pre-vacation habits and mindset. For me, keeping carbs and sugar low for a few days helps me regain normal hunger cues. I will do whatever it takes to quiet down my appetite, even if it means suffering through these cravings for a while. My body is throwing a hissy fit right now, but I will win this fight!

Some people, like me, are ultimately happier abstaining from sweets and breads, etc. Others can moderate better, fit in a treat every day and be fine. You have to discover which is right for you and then honor it. Your happiness depends on it. :)
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    If you are craving sugar at night and you know it's going to put you over your calorie recommendation: brush your teeth.

I craved salty instead of sweet, but the end result of succumbing to cravings is the same.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I find sweet flavors pique my appetite so instead of a piece of sweet fruit, I often grab a savory snack. Cheese, a handful of olives, or the like definitely push back on my desire for sweets. Also, go brush your teeth. Not only will it make your dentist happy but sometimes removing the vestigial taste of a sweet treat from your mouth helps cut the cycle in your brain that says, "More! More!" You'll need to experiment to see what works for you.

I also gave up all naturally or artificially sweetened beverages. My habitual cans of Diet Coke made me want to eat the furniture! Flavored, unsweetened seltzers and unsweetened iced tea don't do that to me.