Options
mb2bthin
mb2bthin Posts: 47 Member
Anyone else have trouble either falling asleep or staying asleep? Any tips

Replies

• Keira08
    Keira08 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I recently cut out caffeine and it took a few weeks but it's definitely improved my sleep quality
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    I used to suffer from insomnia. I changed my diet to eating healthy foods and started an exercise routine that includes Yoga. This has transformed my sleeping habits.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,070 Member
    Options
    Couple of things I've found helpful when I have been suffering from poor sleep:
    • Reducing caffeine and sugar intake a good few hours before bed
    • Not watching TV in my bedroom
    • Blue Light Filter on my smartphone and avoiding using it before bed
    • Blackout curtains
    • Having a warm shower or bath
    • Drinking some caffeine free herbal tea such as chamomile.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    I've found magnesium to calm me and sleep better
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    - Melatonin 3mg/night
    - Magnesium 250 mg (if oxide take it with a bite of food to prevent upset stomach).
    - A glass of milk (not sure if the calcium, potassium, or magnessium in it).
    - A $50 foam pillow
    - Getting husband to stop snoring is a whole different book.
  • Fantasyfan882017
    Fantasyfan882017 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem. I've just joined MFP and started healthy eating recently. From what I've read online it could possibly be to do with the difference in the amount of carbs your eating if you have reduced it a lot from what you used to eat. It will supposedly take a few weeks for our body's to adjust x
  • tgcakef
    tgcakef Posts: 111 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I have severe insomnia so I have to take sleeping pills for it but melatonin tends to work for most people. The liquid version tends to be better than pills, in my opinion.

Other than that:
    - Make your bedroom inviting, keep it cool, have nice pillows, sheets, blackout curtains, etc.
    - Try lavender/soothing scented oil, candles.
    - Try teas that help with sleep (sleepytime tea, etc.) or peppermint tea.
    - Have proper sleep hygiene - don't take naps, don't use your bed for anything other than sleep (or sex), don't use electronics in bed, no tv, no reading, no just lazing around in bed
    - Meditate/practice mindfulness or the like before bed. Do progressive muscle relaxation (there are videos on youtube that walk you through it)
    - White noise/music (I like white noise or rain)
    - Turn off electronics/stop using them about an hour to a half hour before bed
    - Monitor your caffeine intake; it isn't a problem for me, but it might be for you
    - Wake up when you set your alarm; don't oversleep even if you're tired

Note: if you're taking any medications, run melatonin and/or sleepy time teas by your doctor first. Melatonin shouldn't have any interactions, but it's better to be cautious. Sleepy time teas can have interactions depending on what is in it.
  • jasonsdad1
    jasonsdad1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    1/4 tsp nutmeg mixed with water ...do not take MORE, it works for me.
  • KimiyaKiwi
    KimiyaKiwi Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Don't sleep in the same room as your router.
    Kick the dog out.
    Kick the other half out.

Sorted.