Big weight gain after very active vacation

Options
I am trying to stay calm, but we just came back from a weeklong backpacking and water park trip and gained 6 lbs from two weeks ago. Before we left I had amped up my weight training and walking a little and stayed right on my calorie target. This last week we hiked miles up and down hills and ended up with two days at a water park (with tons of walking, steps, and swimming). One day I allowed myself pizza and chicken wings galore, but every other day I exceeded my calories intake by no more than 400. How did I gain 6 lbs? Help! I just hit the 100 day mark and this sets me back from 12lbs lost to half that: (

Replies

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Change in diet, change in activity probably a temporary change in water weight. Let us know how you're doing in a week or so.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Water weight, potentially from the new weight training program/stresses of hiking, etc. but also from higher salt levels from eating out more than normal. Get back onto your program and it should go away within a week.

For perspective, in order to put on 6 pounds of fat you would have had to exceed your maintenance goal by 21000 calories over the course of your two week vacation (about 1500 calories per day). That's quite a bit and is not likely given your increased activity levels and diligent tracking.

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    don't weight yourself the day you get back from vacation. Weigh again in a week or two for a more accurate reading.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    That's not a big weight gain IMO, not from 2 weeks away.

Just get back to your deficit and by next week most of it will have gone.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    jujuja wrote: »
    I am trying to stay calm, but we just came back from a weeklong backpacking and water park trip and gained 6 lbs from two weeks ago. Before we left I had amped up my weight training and walking a little and stayed right on my calorie target. This last week we hiked miles up and down hills and ended up with two days at a water park (with tons of walking, steps, and swimming). One day I allowed myself pizza and chicken wings galore, but every other day I exceeded my calories intake by no more than 400. How did I gain 6 lbs? Help! I just hit the 100 day mark and this sets me back from 12lbs lost to half that: (

Non-typical high activity level + restaurant food (ie super high sodium) = LOTS of water weight gain.
  • jujuja
    jujuja Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone. That was incredibly helpful. It may seem a little silly but I was really proud of myself for logging for 100 days, being incredibly active, and losing 12 lbs. However this is my MO, I get really into a change and then get discouraged and quit. I refuse this time!