I need some clean eating friends!

Options
I want some clean eating buddies, who have open diaries. I need some ideas please!

Replies

• mom2kateRH
    mom2kateRH Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    You can add me! In general, I try and avoid the term "clean eating," because it is so loaded (you may have stirred a pot here....). but I do try and eat lots of fresh fruits and veggies, and make most of my meals from scratch.
  • kimie54
    kimie54 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    How about healthy eating then? :smiley:
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    Options

Healthy eating = fruit, vegetables, dairy, meat, some grains (I say "some" because I tend to overeat those, so I limit what's available), a glass of wine, and dark chocolate every once in awhile. :smile:
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Yeah, "clean eating" is a bit of a mixed bag. I'd say I eat 'clean' 80% of the time. Products I eat that don't quite qualify as clean:

Egg Beaters (processed)
    Pretzels, crackers, bagged popcorn, lower calorie snack items (processed)
    The occasional chocolate bar (if it fits in my day)
    Cereal (I LOVE CEREAL, won't give it up)
    Alcohol (I've limited it, but I still drink it)
    Fully cooked Turkey Sausage (yep, all kinds of processed)
    Salad Dressings (Bolthouse makes amazing ones, btw, still not clean)
    Flavored Coffee Creamer

So, even though I feel like I have a healthy eating plan (limit fried foods, limit sugar, eat lots of lean meat and veggies, etc), I still eat things that Paleo's would cringe over. I never even tried to conform to a "plan" (like Whole30, Paleo, etc) because I know that some of the items that I feel made my lower calorie diet work for me aren't "clean".

What I suggest to you is, go on Pintrest, type "Low Calorie High Protein Meal Ideas". Trust me, you'll get a ton. And if the ingredients are a bit weird (something you don't want to invest money in), skip it. Think about what you eat at Asian and Mexican restaurants and try and make healthier versions at home. Think of your favorite food and try and figure out a way to make it healthier.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Healthy eating = fruit, vegetables, dairy, meat, some grains (I say "some" because I tend to overeat those, so I limit what's available), a glass of wine, and dark chocolate every once in awhile. :smile:

Well, unless you're a vegetarian/vegan, then meat isn't healthy. Or, if you're keto or low carb-then grains, fruit and most veggies aren't healthy. Or paleo-then dairy, fruit, grains and mass produced meat are the devil :p

See the problem with labeling things 'clean' or even 'healthy'?

OP-I follow the DASH protocol for a balanced diet. It works well for me and I enjoy this eating pattern. However, I manage my weight by my calorie intake, and I've done this while experimenting with all sorts of eating plans, including losing the extra weight and improving all my health markers while still eating SAD-just within my calorie parameters.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    mom2kateRH wrote: »
    You can add me! In general, I try and avoid the term "clean eating," because it is so loaded (you may have stirred a pot here....). but I do try and eat lots of fresh fruits and veggies, and make most of my meals from scratch.

I do this too. Specifically making every meal about half vegetables, at least 8-10 servings per day, and some fruit too on most days. I also focus on getting in a particular level of protein, and healthy sources of fat, like nuts and avocado and olives and fatty fish.

(I don't call it clean eating, to me it's just nutritionally-conscious eating and what I enjoy.)
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I think you will have a better chance of finding likeminded people if you describe your preferred style of eating. "Clean eating" tends to just trigger food fights.

I mean, unless you just go join the Clean Eating group...
  • OliveGirl128
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I think you will have a better chance of finding likeminded people if you describe your preferred style of eating. "Clean eating" tends to just trigger food fights.

I'm part of that group and there's no set definition there of what 'cleane' eating actually means either....
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

I'm part of that group and there's no set definition there of what 'cleane' eating actually means either....

Are you? I think I am, but I never read it, since I always imagine people are being holier than thou. But I know you aren't (you're cool!).

I'm kind of a self-hating clean eater, although really I just hate the term and think no one really does eat all non processed so everyone who claims to eat "clean" is lying.
  • OliveGirl128
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Are you? I think I am, but I never read it, since I always imagine people are being holier than thou. But I know you aren't (you're cool!).

I'm kind of a self-hating clean eater, although really I just hate the term and think no one really does eat all non processed so everyone who claims to eat "clean" is lying.

Yep, joined when I was still doing Fuhrman's plan-there's an ongoing thread there where members are asked to define what they think 'clean' eating means and it's all over the place :p