Totally off-topic!! At home hair color :)

Options
allamuchyprof
allamuchyprof Posts: 13 Member
Hi everyone
I go to a hair stylist and spend too much to color and highlight my hair.
Anyone here say goodbye to the stylist and color their own hair at home?
Favorite brand? Happy with the result?

Thank you in advance :)

Replies

• Jordan1906
    Jordan1906 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I would never do my own hair colour. I'm currently blonde and could never imagine doing that one myself..I'd go orange/yellow
    If I was to go back brunette I prob would though. Although I'm sure I'd go green then..
  • Jordan1906
    Jordan1906 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Jordan1906 wrote: »
    I would never do my own hair colour. I'm currently blonde and could never imagine doing that one myself..I'd go orange/yellow
    If I was to go back brunette I prob would though. Although I'm sure I'd go green then..

I did try ONE time and ended up with orange hair. Full blown clown hair!! Never again. I'll cut costs elsewhere to pay to have my hair done by a professional.

Yellow / orange hair is not cute ha I'm quite fortunate though that my friends a hairdresser and she does it at a good price.
    Otherwise I would just do some good research and ask some hairdressers for tips and products if I had to do it at home
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    I dye my hair at home all the time. I very rarely go to a salon and that's usually only when I want it styled. Color can be done at home, but I'm big on non-traditional colors, which would be expensive as all get out if I went to a regular salon to have it done.
  • dc8066
    dc8066 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    If you want some fancy color and don't have experience, or some color-resistant hair texture, then leave it to a professional
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I think it's easier to go dark at home than to go lighter. Like @TeacupsAndToning said for going lighter you need toner and extra stuff. For going darker I just use Nice 'n Easy or whatever only takes ten minutes but I'm cheap soooo

Totally. I'd do something subtle at home, or go darker, but I wouldn't try to lift or highlight at home.

I go through predictable phases - I'll do blonde-bombshell color with a professional for a while, and then when I get tired of the upkeep, I'll do a bayalage sort of thing at home. I get something that approximates my natural color, start at the roots, and pull through so that it gradually blends in with the blonde at the ends. I've done this several times with good results, but I ALSO get the girls at Sally Beauty Supply to help me choose the color, developer, and whatever else I need.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Hi everyone
    I go to a hair stylist and spend too much to color and highlight my hair.
    Anyone here say goodbye to the stylist and color their own hair at home?
    Favorite brand? Happy with the result?

Thank you in advance :)

I color my own. I buy Joico Vero Color developer and Joico KPaks color from sleekhair.com

Mine is not highlighted and is a simple all over color that is very close to my natural color. I would not advise attempting anything more advanced, unless you have lots of practice or can live with your mistakes.

ETA: I use 20 volume developer
  • sw33tp3a1
    sw33tp3a1 Posts: 5,065 Member
    Options
    I stopped going to the hair salon to do my hair as my former hairstylest is doing big things now and is charging an arm and a leg for amazing colors that I can't afford sooooo now I do my own hair. Go to Sallys Beauty Supply the employees there are great help and they will tell you what you need.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I think it's easier to go dark at home than to go lighter. Like @TeacupsAndToning said for going lighter you need toner and extra stuff. For going darker I just use Nice 'n Easy or whatever only takes ten minutes but I'm cheap soooo

True. I did a TON of research and was very careful. I only bought a 20 vol developer because I didn't want to kill my hair knowing it would take multiple bleaching sessions. I spent about a month as a strawberry blond (I had done one bleaching session and then put a demi permanent over top) before bleaching it again and toning it. Then I left it that colour for over a month, not wanting to damage my hair, before putting a permanent, darker blonde over top. It was definitely a process, but I saved a lot of money.

I think the mistake that people make when they bleach their hair at home is they try to do it in one go and then a disaster occurs.

So how do you touch up your roots? Do you follow a similar process?

Asking for a friend.
  • ashbabe25
    ashbabe25 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I color myself at home, I have for years. My favorite is Féria. There's quite a bit of color in them and when I do all over color two boxes are enough and my hair is thick and down past my *kitten*.

Preference is a close second.
  • tgcakef
    tgcakef Posts: 111 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I colour my own hair all the time; never had it done professionally. I would not bleach it at home, though. That said, my hair is very dark, and it can be lighter without bleaching. The colours will usually be dark but they do show up, and my hair is lighter. If your hair is medium, it shouldn't be difficult to go lighter or darker.

For brands, I like L'Oreal, Feria, Garnier.

The top is closer to my natural hair colour. No bleaching involved. The picture isn't the greatest, but the lightest parts were red/red-brown. It's also a bit patchy because I dyed my hair fairly often, and it wasn't always the same colour.

xzrodr81g5pi.jpg

• Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    I do my own but I only use black anyway so it doesn't matter.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I did it once, huge mess, and it was gone in not even 3 weeks (to be fair, the color changed within 3 months from my hairdresser visit too).

Not even bothering anymore.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    tgcakef wrote: »
    I colour my own hair all the time; never had it done professionally. I would not bleach it at home, though. That said, my hair is very dark, and it can be lighter without bleaching. The colours will usually be dark but they do show up, and my hair is lighter. If your hair is medium, it shouldn't be difficult to go lighter or darker.

The top is closer to my natural hair colour. No bleaching involved. The picture isn't the greatest, but the lightest parts were red/red-brown. It's also a bit patchy because I dyed my hair fairly often, and it wasn't always the same colour.

xzrodr81g5pi.jpg

I'd switch to a safer developer because it looks like those boxed brands are damaging your hair
  • tgcakef
    Options

xzrodr81g5pi.jpg

I'd switch to a safer developer because it looks like those boxed brands are damaging your hair

Nah, it was that winter. Winter where I live is harsh, and dry. Then I visited a humid place, so my hair, and skin wasn't very happy. My hair dresser tells me I have the best hair she's seen.
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    I colored for years and years.. Colored and highlighted my own. Different shades.

Stripping away any color you have remaining to go lighter is key and you need toners. Like gold, pale blonde, ash blondes, etc..

To go darker, should be no problem with permanent colors. I bought all my hair color and developer from from Sally's. Wella Charm has great toners when going lighter, perm colors I have used Ion, Wella, Age Beautiful. Drug Store bought, Loreal is your best bet IMO, you can try those gel colors, they washed out fast, but you can see what I was trying to cover below for years.

Now I am this... no more color.

lbu75g81skvm.jpg

It's stunning.
  • tgcakef
    Options
    I colored for years and years.. Colored and highlighted my own. Different shades.

Stripping away any color you have remaining to go lighter is key and you need toners. Like gold, pale blonde, ash blondes, etc..

To go darker, should be no problem with permanent colors. I bought all my hair color and developer from from Sally's. Wella Charm has great toners when going lighter, perm colors I have used Ion, Wella, Age Beautiful. Drug Store bought, Loreal is your best bet IMO, you can try those gel colors, they washed out fast, but you can see what I was trying to cover below for years.

lbu75g81skvm.jpg

I love your hair!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    caco_ethes wrote: »

It's stunning.

I love your hair!

Thank you ladies!!! :heart: :heart: