Working Out in the Morning

Options
CMNVA
CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
Just thought I'd post this to see if there are others that have the same issue.

Basically, I can't work out in the morning. First problem is that I get up at 4AM already for an early work start time. So there's that. But on weekends, even though I'm an early riser and I would like to get my exercise out of the way early, I don't do well.

Whatever I do, my performance is just off. If it's running, I can't run as fast or far. If it's weights, I can't lift as much. I just kind of fizzle. Realizing that maybe I wasn't fueled properly after a night of sleep, I tried eating/drinking, etc, and I only saw a very minor improvement. Then if I do manage to work out I feel kind of bad the rest of the day. Tired, need a nap, etc.

I'm 53 years old and this is something I've always noticed. In talking to my 72 year old mother (who works out) she has the same issue. It's weird.

Now, if I exercise at say, 2:00PM, I feel *great*. I work out well, feel good doing it, don't feel overly tired even later on.

Any idea what the issue could be?

On the weekends, I'd really like to do my stuff around 7:30AM as it's just more efficient for my day. I hate planning my weekend around a mid afternoon workout which then requires a shower. I end up just not doing it.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    The issue could be that you just don't function optimally in the morning...not everyone does. It could also be a simple matter of getting used to things.

My wife has been training for a 1/2 and she started running in the mornings for efficiency...she initially had the same issue as she was accustomed to training in the afternoon most days...there was a short adjustment period and now she's fine and setting PRs. She also figured out that she needed to get up and give herself about 30 minutes to get the blood flowing, have some coffee, etc before she goes out to run.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason why you need to workout early on any day of the week? If not, just don't do it. Some people like it and some don't and that is perfectly okay. For me, the time of day that I exercise varies based on schedule and preference. I do my heavy lower body day on Sunday afternoon because I cannot do back squats early in the morning. Other stuff I can (and do) do earlier in the day.
  • CMNVA
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Is there a reason why you need to workout early on any day of the week? If not, just don't do it. Some people like it and some don't and that is perfectly okay. For me, the time of day that I exercise varies based on schedule and preference. I do my heavy lower body day on Sunday afternoon because I cannot do back squats early in the morning. Other stuff I can (and do) do earlier in the day.

If I could work out in the morning, it would be better for me.

Obviously I can't (or won't) on Mon-Friday as I already get up at 4AM, but on the weekends I would like to work out prior to my shower and getting dressed for the day so it's just DONE! But I feel so awful when I do it? If I wait to do it later in the day, then I'm usually embroiled in some home repair project or chore and then it just never happens.

I just can't figure out why I feel so awful when I do it. I actually consider myself a morning person too!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I rarely work out in the morning, save the weekends. Long runs/hikes I have to start early. I don't function as well, but I have gotten better & more accustomed to it. Try going at a lower intensity or warming up longer. I'm now to the point that even mid morning high intensity work is not a problem.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    CMNVA wrote: »

Obviously I can't (or won't) on Mon-Friday as I already get up at 4AM, but on the weekends I would like to work out prior to my shower and getting dressed for the day so it's just DONE! But I feel so awful when I do it? If I wait to do it later in the day, then I'm usually embroiled in some home repair project or chore and then it just never happens.

I just can't figure out why I feel so awful when I do it. I actually consider myself a morning person too!

Are you eating shortly afterwards? When I ride in the morning and don't get some food in me pretty quickly afterwards, I bonk the rest of the day...even if I just eat a banana to hold me to breakfast I'm ok vs waiting another couple of hours to breakfast and then I'm just beat all day.
  • CMNVA
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Are you eating shortly afterwards? When I ride in the morning and don't get some food in me pretty quickly afterwards, I bonk the rest of the day...even if I just eat a banana to hold me to breakfast I'm ok vs waiting another couple of hours to breakfast and then I'm just beat all day.

I've tried to have two breakfasts when I do this. The first one might be pre-run (or whatever I am doing). It's small. I also make sure I have some water and some caffeine which helps. Then when I get back, I have a regular breakfast. These things vary from eggs, to shredded wheat. I've tried all types to see if there is a difference. And let me just say, I am fairly out of shape and sedentary, but I'm also not working out hard. Think Couch 2 5K week 1 or 2 level of intensity.
  • jemhh
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I've tried to have two breakfasts when I do this. The first one might be pre-run (or whatever I am doing). It's small. I also make sure I have some water and some caffeine which helps. Then when I get back, I have a regular breakfast. These things vary from eggs, to shredded wheat. I've tried all types to see if there is a difference. And let me just say, I am fairly out of shape and sedentary, but I'm also not working out hard. Think Couch 2 5K week 1 or 2 level of intensity.

To me it sounds like just being out of shape. I'd say be patient and it will likely get a bit easier. You might also try an evening snack as it may help. But overall I think it's just a matter of fitness at this point.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I don't care to work out early in the morning either. Just can't get going. That said, as long as you are working out, I don't think it matters when you workout.

So keep up the good work and best of luck.
  • jemhh
    Options
    Oh, also maybe you just need to sleep on the weekend. If you normally get up at 4, when do you go to bed? Sleep is important.
  • CMNVA
    Options
    Oh, also maybe you just need to sleep on the weekend. If you normally get up at 4, when do you go to bed? Sleep is important.

I've thought that this might be an issue. I go to bed between 8:30 and 9:00PM. I try to just wind down for an hour before that by reading. It's hard for my mind to shut down. So I'm not actually sleeping at 8:30. Due to menopause, I also don't sleep well. I think during the week, I'm *lucky* to get 7 hours of sleep but it's likely to be 5-6 hours of true sleep. I catch up a bit on the weekend, but I don't sleep all that well then either, but I probably get a solid 8 hours Friday and Saturday nights. I think sometimes I truly am just really tired. But I can do better in the afternoon, so who knows!