Vaping and Fitness

Options
Let me know your opinions on vaping and going to gym or doing general fitness, I would like to know as I do this and would like to know the negative or positive effects to doing this.

Replies

• Polo265
    Polo265 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I vape and have for almost 6 years. I agree - Don't vape at the gym.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I vaped to quit smoking cigarettes...if I hadn't vaped I would have never gotten into fitness because I was winded walking around the block. I've quit and restarted vaping a couple of times over the years...it's less than optimal but not nearly as bad as smoking cigarettes and I have plenty of wind and I'm in pretty good shape from a fitness standpoint.

Pretty much mirrors my experience, though I didn't quit smoking until after I started lifting. When I went for a set of ten on deads and was completely gassed, though fine muscularly, I got pissed and decided that I was done.
  • timsla
    timsla Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Helped me quit smoking and I also use it for cbd. To reduce inflammation
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I don't vape, but have an e-cigarette. I run 4 miles a couple times a week, cycle classes a couple times, lift and it doesn't alter my progress. But agree with others, don't actually vap while in the gym.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I vaped to quit smoking cigarettes...if I hadn't vaped I would have never gotten into fitness because I was winded walking around the block. I've quit and restarted vaping a couple of times over the years...it's less than optimal but not nearly as bad as smoking cigarettes and I have plenty of wind and I'm in pretty good shape from a fitness standpoint.

A lot of this. Except I did get into fitness while still smoking. In fact, I managed to run a 5k in 31:16 chip time while smoking over half a pack a day. These days I still vape and I'm okay with it. My work capacity is insane and getting better all the time. I can walk for pretty much forever. The couple times a year that I do go for a run I have more issues holding back than pushing forward.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I've been vaping for around 2 years. I most definitely don't get puffed out like i used to when i was smoking. So imo vaping is the lesser of the 2 evils.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't vape while working out. Other than that no problems. I've caped a few years off and on. It helped me quit smoking as well.

I do an boxing and conditioning 3 days a week without is affecting me. I couldn't never have done that when I smoked.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Just found this thread!

Smoked for 15 years and no one bats an eye
    Start vaping and everyone loses their minds that I'm killing myself lol :|

I stopped smoking/started vaping November 2016, so I'm relatively new to vaping.

I can walk/run further without getting winded as fast.
    My doctor is happy
    My dentist is happy
    My lungs seem happier
    My workouts are longer and more productive

I think I'm moving in a positive direction so I ignore the negative people around me and continue on my path!
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options

AMEN brother. I chew gum and vape now.
  • JohnnytotheB
    JohnnytotheB Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    busyPK wrote: »
    I don't vape, but have an e-cigarette. I run 4 miles a couple times a week, cycle classes a couple times, lift and it doesn't alter my progress. But agree with others, don't actually vap while in the gym.

So what is the difference between the two?
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    TheAFKPro wrote: »
    Let me know your opinions on vaping and going to gym or doing general fitness, I would like to know as I do this and would like to know the negative or positive effects to doing this.

Hi, buddy. I would like to share my experience ) I have two friend, one of them is smoking cigarettes, and another uses vape. Buddy, the difference is greater than you could imagine. When we run on the treadmill, my friend who smokes cigarettes cannot run more than ten minutes in a row, and the one who uses vape runs on an equal footing with me and even more. He explains it by the fact that his lungs train when he vapes. He bought a special vape, where you can adjust the difficulty of inhalation from this site https://vapercity.com/, and advises me to do the same, I'd better go to the pool and there will train the lungs, however, I agree that vape saves your time...

If you don't want to vape you could also do various breathing exercises ("training your lungs" as it were - "breath training" is another phrase for it) with and without devices. They've been around for decades. A lot of them are marketed towards musicians, but there are also some that are marked towards athletes. As someone who fits into both of those boxes, I suspect most of it is pure marketing as opposed to difficulty or quality.
  • MaintainInTheMembrane
    Options
    busyPK wrote: »

So what is the difference between the two?
    They’re the same.
  • Daisy_Girl2019
    Daisy_Girl2019 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to quit vaping also? Vaping is new and there's still not enough research about it to see how it affects health in general, but I know it's discourage by most health care providers.
  • Johnd2000
    Johnd2000 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to quit vaping also? Vaping is new and there's still not enough research about it to see how it affects health in general, but I know it's discourage by most health care providers.

In the Uk it’s strongly recommended for smokers by Public Health England and nearly all the medicine-related Royal Colleges. The consensus here is that it’s at least 95% safer than smoking.

• JB1775
    JB1775 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Here is my 2 cents. I think anything foreign that's introduced to your lungs has some negative effects. I haven't done research to support it, but it's foreign for a reason. The argument that vapor is not harmful makes sense, but the flavors, nicotine, etc. that comes with vaping, in my opinion, is harmful. This could be short or long term. I don't know. I've heard about some pretty serious side-effects from Juuls (not that that's the vape in question).
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Actually it's seen as a far less harmful alternative to smoking.
    If a smoker is unable to ditch the habit entirely but could switch to vaping they will have improved their health outcomes.

Note that's not the same as saying it is risk-free.

Read more from the NHS - https://www.nhs.uk/smokefree/help-and-advice/e-cigarettes