Good websites for recipes from different countries?

Options
shaumom
shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
What websites (or youtube channels) do you use for recipes from different countries? Preferably a website that focuses on one country, primarily, but any would be great!

I have some allergies which have necessitated avoiding a lot of the foods I'd normally eat, so I'm looking for recipes from countries that don't use these ingredients as often: India, Japan, China, Korea (okay, any Asian country, really), the Polynesian islands, a number of different countries in Africa, South America and so on.

Basically, any country but USA, Canada, Europe, or Australia would likely be of use.

Appreciate anything you have to share!

Replies

• jaimydude
    jaimydude Posts: 103 Member
    Options
  • shaumom
    Options
    thanks, I'll check that out!
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    On the risk of sounding nit-picky: Europe is not a country. And there are actually very, very different foods in the countries of Europe.

If you would tell us what it is you have to avoid it would be easier to pick a matching cuisine.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Google?
  • shaumom
    edited September 2017
    Options
    skymningen wrote: »
    On the risk of sounding nit-picky: Europe is not a country. And there are actually very, very different foods in the countries of Europe.

OMG, I cannot believe I actually said that and didn't catch it, LOL. Thanks for mentioning it, ha. But as for countries of Europe...pretty much all of them. Mostly because I've looked at a lot of the cuisine from as many countries there as I have been able to find. But I have been having a harder time finding 'authentic' dishes from a country, rather than 'recipes that have been adulterated with substitution ingredients to match the english speaking country's regular flavors and ingredients.'

skymningen wrote: »
    If you would tell us what it is you have to avoid it would be easier to pick a matching cuisine.

That would be usually helpful, but not so much in my case. Any website I find, it's only going to have a few recipes I can have, no matter what. But I am looking more for recipes that don't use 'most' of my allergies, for ideas on new ways to flavor, cook, or combine ingredients, or completely new ingredients, period, you know?

But, just for fun...what I can't have (due to a crazy disorder that makes me have an unusually high number of allergies)

Wheat, rye, barley.
    Most grains, really. Limited rice sometimes, maybe teff if I can find the right brand.
    sulfites and most preservatives
    soy
    eggs
    dairy
    potatoes
    Most beans
    Most nuts
    Probably 3/4 of the 'traditional' American veggies eaten
    Most of fruits eaten in America
    shellfish (due to preservatives added)
    most fish (due to preservatives added)
    poultry

So...you can see why i didn't think this would necessarily help, yeah? I am looking for foods that have very little resemblance to what I can find in my 'regular' stores, so I can try some completely new foods in the hopes I may be able to have them. I live in a sub-tropical area, so I may even start to grow some foods from other countries, if I can, if they work out.

But finding websites with these types of recipes has been very tricky, in my experience, so I'm hoping for help. :-)