Maintain, but lose belly fat? Is there a way?

Hello, so I'm 21 and I've always done sports and gym so yeah I'm in shape, but for as long as I can remember I've never been able to get abs.

Last week I decided to fully commit to getting them and I started to do some reading, and to make a long story short I decided to get into a high caloric deficit (if you put your hands on my belly you can literally feel a six pack, but you just cant see it) and after soing some more reading I found put I could lose muscle by going into a caloric deficit (something I don't want to happen). So anyone know what I should do? :*:*

Replies

• VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Sadly, you can't spot reduce fat. I wish you could, but that's not how the body works.

Just keep eating healthy, exercising, and get plenty of rest. Be patient and consistent, the results will come.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,997 Member
    edited August 2017
    Sorry dup post but, I repeat . . . just recomp.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Here's the thing, if you recomp, who knows when that's going to work or what you're going to measure. I'm guessing you're skinnyfat (no offense), but most of the time it's better to cut fat until you get to 10-12% and then bulk to 15 and cut again; all the while on a structured lifting program. This way, you'll have goals you can achieve, that are measurable and it will take less time.

I didn't see anything in your post about a structured weight lifting program so if you just "recomp" by eating at maintenance and physically doing what you've always been doing, ain't nothin' gonna change.

Slight calorie deficit.
    Structured lifting program + protein @ 1g/lb so you don't lose muscle on the cut. Keep the cut 4-6 months or less and you'll be fine.
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    edited August 2017
    Rusty740 wrote: »
    Here's the thing, if you recomp, who knows when that's going to work or what you're going to measure. I'm guessing you're skinnyfat (no offense), but most of the time it's better to cut fat until you get to 10-12% and then bulk to 15 and cut again; all the while on a structured lifting program. This way, you'll have goals you can achieve, that are measurable and it will take less time.

I didn't see anything in your post about a structured weight lifting program so if you just "recomp" by eating at maintenance and physically doing what you've always been doing, ain't nothin' gonna change.

Slight calorie deficit.
    Structured lifting program + protein @ 1g/lb so you don't lose muscle on the cut. Keep the cut 4-6 months or less and you'll be fine.

This is a recomp. You have just told him not to recomp and then advised him to recomp. You gave the same advice given by ninerbuff, sgt1372 and sijomial.

FWIW, cutting is generally recognized as a 500cal deficit and probably should not be maintained for 4-6 months unless you are looking to lose weight because you are too heavy.
  • melissaulmen
    melissaulmen Posts: 123 Member
    I have read multiple times that abs are made in the kitchen.
    80% what you eat 20% exercises
    A healthy diet of lean meats, veggies, whole grains. Doing that religiously for about 6 months was the only way I was able to get abs. Plus I did 2-30 minute ab classes every week to go along with my normal workouts. Which normally included plank, crunches, leg raises, and sit ups for the ab portion.
    I decided I would rather be soft than work that hard for abs, but I am also 39, so the only person who see's my abs loves me either way.
  • Rusty740
    edited August 2017

Slight calorie deficit.

This is a recomp. You have just told him not to recomp and then advised him to recomp. You gave the same advice given by ninerbuff, sgt1372 and sijomial.

FWIW, cutting is generally recognized as a 500cal deficit and probably should not be maintained for 4-6 months unless you are looking to lose weight because you are too heavy.

No a calorie deficit is not a recomp and ninerbuff and sgt1372 said to have a deficit and sgt1372 was getting regular DEXA scans and hydrostatics to keep him on track and I'm going to guess that as a retired police officer had weightlifted in the past. Measureability is key to progress and he was deeeetailed. IMO cut/bulk will be easier, faster, and more measurable.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member

Slight calorie deficit.

Disagree - most of the time only a very small minority of people actually need to to cut/bulk cycles. Those with advanced body composition or competition goals.

It's far easier to eat at rough maintenance calories and train.
    OP says they are "in shape" so only fine tuning required. "In shape" to visible abs really isn't that drastic a change.

At 21 I doubt he needs a deficit to make significant progress in reducing body fat.
  • coolnool
    coolnool Posts: 0 Member
    I feel that combining simple yoga exercise in the morning with simple vegetarian diet has done wonders for me.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited August 2017
    sijomial wrote: »

Slight calorie deficit.

Disagree - most of the time only a very small minority of people actually need to to cut/bulk cycles. Those with advanced body composition or competition goals.

OP says they are "in shape" so only fine tuning required. "In shape" to visible abs really isn't that drastic a change.

At 21 I doubt he needs a deficit to make significant progress in reducing body fat.

Cosigned. @Rusty740 you've posted in a number of threads that cut/bulking cycles are good and recomposition is not. I respectfully disagree. For someone in the OPs situation, they get to the same place in the same amount of time with less fuss in a recomposition than a cut/bulking.
  • Rusty740
    edited August 2017
    mmapags wrote: »

Slight calorie deficit.

Cosigned. @Rusty740 you've posted in a number of threads that cut/bulking cycles are good and recomposition is not. I respectfully disagree. For someone in the OPs situation, they get to the same place in the same amount of time with less fuss in a recomposition than a cut/bulking.

Yeah, I get it. I just think cut/bulk is a process that most people can use to get a really good handle on things by focusing on calories and lifting and using weight and body fat measurements to more easily make and measure progress. I think being able to measure progress is extremely important and really that's what makes me favour cut bulk over recomp.

Basically if OP says they can measure the success of their recomp at the end of 1 month, I'd support it, sure. I just don't like the odds of measuring success and progress and being able to change things as needed.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    mmapags wrote: »

Slight calorie deficit.

Yeah, I get it. I just think cut/bulk is a process that most people can use to get a really good handle on things by focusing on calories and lifting and using weight and body fat measurements to more easily make and measure progress. I think being able to measure progress is extremely important and really that's what makes me favour cut bulk over recomp.

Basically if OP says they can measure the success of their recomp at the end of 1 month, I'd support it, sure. I just don't like the odds of measuring success and progress and being able to change things as needed.

I get you. After 1 month maybe not. That's where patience comes in on a recomp. It's really a matter of preference. For me, in another 10 lbs, it'll be recomp. The cutting/ bulking process is too draining and it doesn't really get me to where I want to be any faster. Just my preference.
  • WilmaValley
    WilmaValley Posts: 1,092 Member
    I second the person who said yoga helps.