Whole body workout...?

Options
I just recently started going to the gym and I was sure how to break up my workout days. I wasn't sure if it is better for weight loss to focus on one muscle group each day. Or do whole body including cardio everyday? Any suggestions?

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Full body strength training routine. Mild cardio is ok on lifting days, but if you are just starting out, maybe alternate cardio and strength days. Are you going to start with machines or free weights?
  • gross41
    gross41 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been doing machines.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    What is your strength routine?
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    If you are just starting out, whole body 3-4 days a week. Mild cardio (like a 10 minute warm-up) is fine when you lift. If your gym has a trainer(s) available they can help you build a program that works for you. Also, remember that when you start lifting, you have to rest. Make sure to take one day a week off from working out so that your muscle can heal/build.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    gross41 wrote: »
    I just recently started going to the gym and I was sure how to break up my workout days. I wasn't sure if it is better for weight loss to focus on one muscle group each day. Or do whole body including cardio everyday? Any suggestions?

the best thing for weight loss is diet. Exercise is for health and fitness. Look into some programs like Stronglifts or NROLFW or strong curves. They tell you what to do each workout and are great beginner programs.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    I prefer whole-body workouts Monday, Weds and Friday - my warm up includes about 15-20 min on the treadmill, and the weight-training session ends with 12-15 minutes of interval training. The other days I just walk - the weight training days are tough enough that I need a recovery day in between. Friday's workout is often an all-out effort so having two full recovery days is great.