Slanted smith machine- hip thrusts

Options
Which direction should I face when doing hip thrusts on a slanted smith machine? One direction will take the weight towards my feet as I press up and the other will take the weight towards my face... can't figure out which makes sense... help a newb out??

Replies

• VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Towards the face. Think if how the bar would move if it weren't on a Smith machine.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Face. Why don't you do them not on a smith machine? I mean I have seen Brett do them on a smith machine too but still.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    best advice for a newb, learn to do these things not on the smith, the hip thrust is so easy to set up with a bench and a bar
  • Raegold
    Raegold Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't want to do them on a smith machine, but its getting hard for me to set up myself since I'm increasing the weight.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Raegold wrote: »
    I honestly don't want to do them on a smith machine, but its getting hard for me to set up myself since I'm increasing the weight.

For me it's easier with bigger weights, because you can just slide under the bar if you've got 45's on each side.
  • Raegold
    Options

For me it's easier with bigger weights, because you can just slide under the bar if you've got 45's on each side.

Oh my gosh, I'm not up to that point yet!! Right now I'm using a 40 lb barbell, and I'm trying to work up to the 45 lb bar, so I can start adding on weights.... as I said, I'm a total newbie, plus working with a childbirth injury from a couple years ago, so I have to take it slow. I'm realizing that my upper body is my limitation in setting up these weights for lower body exercises, like squats, deadlifts and hip thrusts. My grip strength is an issue also
  • Raegold
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Also, just tried to up the weight to 50 lbs and felt it in my quads..???? Had trouble recruiting my glutes. I guess that means too heavy?

Edited- used the smith machine, I think a total of 40 lbs (20 lb bar with 2 10s), and I felt my glutes way way more, but had less ROM. I'm going to try again next time and see if I can tweak the set up, wondering if the bench is a little high or something. But I'm feeling encouraged that I felt a more intense glute burn!
  • SonyaCele
    edited August 2017
    Options

use bumper plates, they come in 10 lbs, i think i've even seen 5 lbs. Or if your gym doesn't have bumper plates, you can set the bar up with the weights resting on stepups or blocks to get them up to a level you can slide under and then roll the bar up into position or whatever. I see girls do that all the time. Or have someone hand you the bar.
  • SonyaCele
    Options
    Also, just tried to up the weight to 50 lbs and felt it in my quads..???? Had trouble recruiting my glutes. I guess that means too heavy?

Edited- used the smith machine, I think a total of 40 lbs (20 lb bar with 2 10s), and I felt my glutes way way more, but had less ROM. I'm going to try again next time and see if I can tweak the set up, wondering if the bench is a little high or something. But I'm feeling encouraged that I felt a more intense glute burn!

if you can get the bar up , its not too heavy. squeeze your glutes at the top and hold for a few seconds. you'll feel it tomorrow.
  • Raegold
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »

use bumper plates, they come in 10 lbs, i think i've even seen 5 lbs. Or if your gym doesn't have bumper plates, you can set the bar up with the weights resting on stepups or blocks to get them up to a level you can slide under and then roll the bar up into position or whatever. I see girls do that all the time. Or have someone hand you the bar.

Thank you, that's a great idea! I'm usually at the gym by myself (my husband and I trade off who watches the kids). I'll definitely try that next time
  • Raegold
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »

if you can get the bar up , its not too heavy. squeeze your glutes at the top and hold for a few seconds. you'll feel it tomorrow.

Okay cool