Binge Eating: HELP

Options

Replies

• juliakessel7
    Options
    I sent you a message already, but I wanted to reply on here as well so others can see. I have the same exact issue. I don't know why I do it, but I lose control. I feel like something that can help all of us is to support each other and hopefully try to keep each other accountable. People who don't have a problem binging just don't seem to understand it, and I'm realizing lately that support could be the best thing. Feel free to add me (anyone else with this problem as well) and we can hopefully support each other. :) I really hope we can gain control with this, because the guilt can be so bad!

Sorry! I didn't see your message! Thanks so much for your comment. Let's support each other!
  • bonetifulbitch
    bonetifulbitch Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I had this problem too. What I did was go as far away from the food as fast as possible. It wasn’t easy, but even if I had started the binge, I would stop and say to myself "Don't make this worse than it already is!" and I thought of how much longer I’d have to be dieting and how unhappy I was and how I absolutely hate how I look now. I went and did something, anything to keep me super busy and distracted. I’d even go into rooms where my family was because I would never let anybody see me binge. I would be mortified and ashamed of myself. I binged mainly when something upset me, so now I plug in my headphones, blast my music and sit in my room and force myself to confront the feelings that I really do not want to think about. I still have the urge to eat more than I should. Sometimes I do let myself eat more, while counting the calories. The greatest thing that helped me overcome binging was praying and asking God for help. That's just me because I’m a Christian and that's what I felt I had to do. I know that not everybody shares the same belief, but I wanted to share what helped me. You'll get through this, just keep trying. I promise that it will get easier if you don't give up. :smile: :happy:
  • juliakessel7
    Options
    I had this problem too. What I did was go as far away from the food as fast as possible. It wasn’t easy, but even if I had started the binge, I would stop and say to myself "Don't make this worse than it already is!" and I thought of how much longer I’d have to be dieting and how unhappy I was and how I absolutely hate how I look now. I went and did something, anything to keep me super busy and distracted. I’d even go into rooms where my family was because I would never let anybody see me binge. I would be mortified and ashamed of myself. I binged mainly when something upset me, so now I plug in my headphones, blast my music and sit in my room and force myself to confront the feelings that I really do not want to think about. I still have the urge to eat more than I should. Sometimes I do let myself eat more, while counting the calories. The greatest thing that helped me overcome binging was praying and asking God for help. That's just me because I’m a Christian and that's what I felt I had to do. I know that not everybody shares the same belief, but I wanted to share what helped me. You'll get through this, just keep trying. I promise that it will get easier if you don't give up. :smile: :happy:

Thank you so much for your helpful tips and support :) I won't give up!! :happy:
  • kdsteelez
    kdsteelez Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Try the book Brain over Binge.
  • juliakessel7
    Options
    Try the book Brain over Binge.

Thanks! I'll take a look :)
  • mittakiwi
    mittakiwi Posts: 6
    Options
    I'm embarrassed to say I'm a binge eater too. It has gotten worse over the last few years, because I live alone and I get bored. Being bored late at night with nothing to do but watch tv. I think I need to take up knitting to keep my hands busy maybe.

My worst time is after dinner. I start off the day really well, with all good intentions but by around 7-8pm at night I just want food! I'm ashamed I ate 12 rice cakes tonight with butter on them (not all at once!) I feel horrible now as I've gone way over my calorie limit and I'm so annoyed with myself. I just have to try and remember how guilty I feel right now, and try not to do it again.

I never overeat when I'm with friends or family. There's never a desire to rush to the fridge and pig out when I'm with others. I could easily do it if I wanted to, I've no qualms pigging out in front of my close family and friends - I just don't get the urge when I'm occupied with company.

I am getting to the point now where I won't be able to keep any food in the house except for frozens! If food is frozen I'm won't have a sudden binge on it, as defrosting it takes time and when I binge I want food NOW.

I wish there was an easy fix, but there's not. But I'll be reading this thread with much interest to see how others get through it, and learn some tips!

You are certainly not alone with the binge eating, hope we can all figure out a way to overcome it.
  • juliakessel7
    Options
    I'm embarrassed to say I'm a binge eater too. It has gotten worse over the last few years, because I live alone and I get bored. Being bored late at night with nothing to do but watch tv. I think I need to take up knitting to keep my hands busy maybe.

My worst time is after dinner. I start off the day really well, with all good intentions but by around 7-8pm at night I just want food! I'm ashamed I ate 12 rice cakes tonight with butter on them (not all at once!) I feel horrible now as I've gone way over my calorie limit and I'm so annoyed with myself. I just have to try and remember how guilty I feel right now, and try not to do it again.

I never overeat when I'm with friends or family. There's never a desire to rush to the fridge and pig out when I'm with others. I could easily do it if I wanted to, I've no qualms pigging out in front of my close family and friends - I just don't get the urge when I'm occupied with company.

I am getting to the point now where I won't be able to keep any food in the house except for frozens! If food is frozen I'm won't have a sudden binge on it, as defrosting it takes time and when I binge I want food NOW.

I wish there was an easy fix, but there's not. But I'll be reading this thread with much interest to see how others get through it, and learn some tips!

You are certainly not alone with the binge eating, hope we can all figure out a way to overcome it.

We can and we WILL figure out a way! I am going to start journaling today after every meal to check-in with my satiety and feelings overall. A few others have done that and suggested it so I'm going to see how it goes! Maybe you can try it too! I think it would be helpful to write down, before you feel the urge to binge, everything you're feeling and the emotions driving the urge. That's my goal today.
  • ezziepug
    ezziepug Posts: 57
    Options
    I was a bulimic for almost 20 years, so I understand the binging side of things too well. You are very brave to open up about it. I couldn't do so for a long time. One thing that helped was joining a group through ANAD (http://www.anad.org). Don't be put off by anorexia in the name -- it's for all people with eating disorders. The group was free and it helped SO MUCH. I also found my eating disorder therapist through the group, and it helped my success in getting the ED mostly under control. But as I'm sure you understand, it can be a constant struggle, even with treatment. But specific treatment is crucial.

There is a fantastic series of workbooks that specialize in dialectical behavior therapy. This type of therapy specifically targets dealing with difficult emotions. It's also helped me a lot. Although this is a bulimia workbook, I highly recommend it: http://www.amazon.com/Dialectical-Behavior-Therapy-Workbook-Bulimia/dp/1572246197/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1375100821&sr=1-1&keywords=bulimia+workbook+dialectical

There is also a workbook generally about DBT, and it is also fantastic.

Reaching out and getting support is so important, and this is a great first step. Don't feel ashamed. You are not alone.
  • juliakessel7
    Options
    I was a bulimic for almost 20 years, so I understand the binging side of things too well. You are very brave to open up about it. I couldn't do so for a long time. One thing that helped was joining a group through ANAD (http://www.anad.org). Don't be put off by anorexia in the name -- it's for all people with eating disorders. The group was free and it helped SO MUCH. I also found my eating disorder therapist through the group, and it helped my success in getting the ED mostly under control. But as I'm sure you understand, it can be a constant struggle, even with treatment. But specific treatment is crucial.

There is a fantastic series of workbooks that specialize in dialectical behavior therapy. This type of therapy specifically targets dealing with difficult emotions. It's also helped me a lot. Although this is a bulimia workbook, I highly recommend it: http://www.amazon.com/Dialectical-Behavior-Therapy-Workbook-Bulimia/dp/1572246197/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1375100821&sr=1-1&keywords=bulimia+workbook+dialectical

Reaching out and getting support is so important, and this is a great first step. Don't feel ashamed. You are not alone.

Thanks so much ezziepug, for these great resources! I am going to check them out!! Starting journaling today, too. So far, so good. I am already feeling more in-touch with my inner self. I am going to friend you. Hope that's ok!
  • ezziepug
    ezziepug Posts: 57
    Options

Thanks so much ezziepug, for these great resources! I am going to check them out!! Starting journaling today, too. So far, so good. I am already feeling more in-touch with my inner self. I am going to friend you. Hope that's ok!

You bet!!
  • pinkbananashoes
    Options
    Hi, I think you're so brave to open up about your binge eating but how brilliant that every who has commented on here is supporting each other. I also used to binge and purge regularly, especially when I was in Uni. I still could easily - I don't know why, I feel that I don't have a pull switch the same as everyone else sometimes! My trigger foods are bread and pasta, so I try to limit how much I eat of them because I love them so much. However, saying that the only thing which got me out of the habit of bingeing was to 'stop dieting' literally tell yourself that you can eat what you want whenever you want. That way your don't feel deprived. I eat toast when I want it and have a piece of dark chocolate every day. It's about feeling free in your mind. I read the book 'Beyond Chocolate' which helped me alot. I now feel a lot more in control of my relationship with food (There are times when I've over eaten and I feel I could purge but I love myself more than that) and now feel less on a diet and more on a path of shedding my old negative self. One of the best pieces of advice I ever read was to treat your body like your best friend.
    I hope you manage to overcome your demons. You're not alone that's for sure. x
  • desert_mom
    desert_mom Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with this, too. I'm sorry to hear youre dealing with the same issue. It can be cery hard on your self-esteem. I've found it is definitely anxiety-related and worse when I don't get enough sleep. It was really bad after the birth of my last baby. I made several weight loss attempts but, initially, dieting really triggered me. I had some months where I just had to let it go and not think of dieting because I just felt more out of control and unhappy. I will say that starting to get more sleep, working with my doctor on straightening out my hormones and taking an antidepressant have turned things around for me. My head is in a very calm place now so dieting doesn't stress me out like it did before. I'd love to be friends. Feel free to add me :)
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options

Great advice!

I was also bulimic for ~15 years, I still fight it every. single. day.
    I went to a therapist and a nutritionist for a couple of years and was able to identify not only binge trigger foods (which you should absolutely keep out of your house), but also when the binges were likely to happen with regard to my activity. I binged when I got frustrated with my kids and when I hadn't eaten for a few hours. Skipping a meal is a huge no-no for me. Almost every time I skipped a meal, I would binge later. Keeping a journal of your feelings when you eat, plus your hunger level on a scale of 1-10 before and after you eat are very helpful. I absolutely must eat before I'm ravenous (around a 3), and I can't eat until I'm stuffed (max of 7ish).
  • juliakessel7
    Options
    Hi, I think you're so brave to open up about your binge eating but how brilliant that every who has commented on here is supporting each other. I also used to binge and purge regularly, especially when I was in Uni. I still could easily - I don't know why, I feel that I don't have a pull switch the same as everyone else sometimes! My trigger foods are bread and pasta, so I try to limit how much I eat of them because I love them so much. However, saying that the only thing which got me out of the habit of bingeing was to 'stop dieting' literally tell yourself that you can eat what you want whenever you want. That way your don't feel deprived. I eat toast when I want it and have a piece of dark chocolate every day. It's about feeling free in your mind. I read the book 'Beyond Chocolate' which helped me alot. I now feel a lot more in control of my relationship with food (There are times when I've over eaten and I feel I could purge but I love myself more than that) and now feel less on a diet and more on a path of shedding my old negative self. One of the best pieces of advice I ever read was to treat your body like your best friend.
    I hope you manage to overcome your demons. You're not alone that's for sure. x

I love that "Treat your body like your best friend"... Thanks so much for this advice, and for sharing your inspiring story :)) I appreciate your support!!
  • juliakessel7
    Options
    I've struggled with this, too. I'm sorry to hear youre dealing with the same issue. It can be cery hard on your self-esteem. I've found it is definitely anxiety-related and worse when I don't get enough sleep. It was really bad after the birth of my last baby. I made several weight loss attempts but, initially, dieting really triggered me. I had some months where I just had to let it go and not think of dieting because I just felt more out of control and unhappy. I will say that starting to get more sleep, working with my doctor on straightening out my hormones and taking an antidepressant have turned things around for me. My head is in a very calm place now so dieting doesn't stress me out like it did before. I'd love to be friends. Feel free to add me :)

Thank you for also sharing your story, and for your support and advice. It's wonderful that you were able to calm your mind to make more peace with your body. :)
  • juliakessel7
    Options

Great advice!

I was also bulimic for ~15 years, I still fight it every. single. day.
    I went to a therapist and a nutritionist for a couple of years and was able to identify not only binge trigger foods (which you should absolutely keep out of your house), but also when the binges were likely to happen with regard to my activity. I binged when I got frustrated with my kids and when I hadn't eaten for a few hours. Skipping a meal is a huge no-no for me. Almost every time I skipped a meal, I would binge later. Keeping a journal of your feelings when you eat, plus your hunger level on a scale of 1-10 before and after you eat are very helpful. I absolutely must eat before I'm ravenous (around a 3), and I can't eat until I'm stuffed (max of 7ish).

Wow! Great job working towards ending your struggle :) I am sure it's still hard to live with everyday. I can relate, as I suffered anorexia in High School. I totally feel the same about skipping meals. It sets me up for failure later on, too. Thank you for sharing your successes and advice. I like the hunger scale idea. I am going to start incorporating the numbers into my journal. Can I add you?
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    There is help out there for BED. I just read a book on mid-life eating disorders (the information is actually relevant at any age but this book was talking about how men and women end up with eating disorders that crop up (or resurface) at middle age) and binge eating disorders are just as serious as anorexia. And they frequently need professional intervention like anorexia to treat.

According to my therapist who specializes in eating disorders, our cognitive ability begins to change from the disordered eating itself, and we're no longer able to just "think" our way out of it, like we would another "bad habit".

I wish you the best as you tackle this issue. Your honesty and willingness to "put yourself out there" to a bunch of people you don't know and share your struggle is evidence you are willing to change. It also humbles me as I think of all the times I've hidden issues in my life because of a "what will people think?" mentality. You're awesome!
  • juliakessel7
    Options
    There is help out there for BED. I just read a book on mid-life eating disorders (the information is actually relevant at any age but this book was talking about how men and women end up with eating disorders that crop up (or resurface) at middle age) and binge eating disorders are just as serious as anorexia. And they frequently need professional intervention like anorexia to treat.

According to my therapist who specializes in eating disorders, our cognitive ability begins to change from the disordered eating itself, and we're no longer able to just "think" our way out of it, like we would another "bad habit".

I wish you the best as you tackle this issue. Your honesty and willingness to "put yourself out there" to a bunch of people you don't know and share your struggle is evidence you are willing to change. It also humbles me as I think of all the times I've hidden issues in my life because of a "what will people think?" mentality. You're awesome!

Thank you so much for your kind words, and support too! It means a lot! You are equally as awesome!!! :D
  • angieochoa1201
    Options
    I also struggle with this!

It has been so hard and throughout the past 12 years I have gone back and forth between bulemia and binging and extreme excersize. I wish I knew a healthy way to handle this.

When Im happy I eat. When I want to relax after along work week we take the kids out to dinner on Friday night and I usually end up consuming way to many calories.... I also have a bad habbit of waking up in the night and snakcing on something high calorie and sweet....

I used to just not buy bread cookies snack foods etc. But with two kids and a hubby it's impossible not to have their food in the house
  • juliakessel7
    Options
    I also struggle with this!

It has been so hard and throughout the past 12 years I have gone back and forth between bulemia and binging and extreme excersize. I wish I knew a healthy way to handle this.

When Im happy I eat. When I want to relax after along work week we take the kids out to dinner on Friday night and I usually end up consuming way to many calories.... I also have a bad habbit of waking up in the night and snakcing on something high calorie and sweet....

I used to just not buy bread cookies snack foods etc. But with two kids and a hubby it's impossible not to have their food in the house

Thanks for sharing! I can relate very much, except I don't have kids just yet! Let's try and break the habit together. Everyone here is awesome. Thanks for the support!