Calorie intake

Options
So i started on a 1500 calorie diet as my dietician said but i was not loseing alot so she upped my intake to 1700. My doctor think i could go as low as 1200 possiblely 1000 he say that is how he had significant weightloss. Who is right or should i just be somewhere in the middle.

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Eating more is never the answer to losing more weight.

How much were you losing on 1500?

Are you female/male?

How tall and what do you weigh?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    So i started on a 1500 calorie diet as my dietician said but i was not loseing alot so she upped my intake to 1700. My doctor think i could go as low as 1200 possiblely 1000 he say that is how he had significant weightloss. Who is right or should i just be somewhere in the middle.

Did you ask why she thought increasing your calories would help? :huh:

I hope you're not actually paying this person...
  • Andy10725
    Andy10725 Posts: 68 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Com'n people. Let's not put the dietician on the grill stand here without knowing more. Possible reasons to increase cal intake could involve preventing matalblism from dropping, prevent lean muscle loss etc... Op did said he/she lost weight. Perhaps the dietician ran the numbers and something was not right. He/she could be keeping the cal deficit between 500-1000 from maintaining so that weight loss would be coming more from fat than lean muscle. Until we know more stats, it's too quick to jump to conclusion that upping intake is bad.
    What the doc say is true as well. A min intake of 1200 cal on women is ok.
    At the end of the day, as long as you r on cal deficit u would loose weight. It's just different process and personal preference on how to get to the end game.
  • tiffaninghs
    tiffaninghs Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    counting macros as well?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Andy10725 wrote: »
    Com'n people. Let's not put the dietician on the grill stand here without knowing more. Possible reasons to increase cal intake could involve preventing matalblism from dropping, prevent lean muscle loss etc... Op did said he/she lost weight. Perhaps the dietician ran the numbers and something was not right. He/she could be keeping the cal deficit between 500-1000 from maintaining so that weight loss would be coming more from fat than lean muscle. Until we know more stats, it's too quick to jump to conclusion that upping intake is bad.
    At the end of the day, as long as you r on cal deficit u would loose weight. It's just different process and personal preference on how to get to the end game.

The OP only started in July, there is no adaptive thermogenesis going on here.

Protein and lifting will help limit the muscle loss.
  • Andy10725
    Options

The OP only started in July, there is no adaptive thermogenesis going on here.

Protein and lifting will help limit the muscle loss.

Thank you for the info.

All I am saying is that there may or may not be be a reason for upping the intake. It's too early to judge until op gets more answers from his/her dietician.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    current weight? goal weight?

how are you logging food?
  • Carriebear174
    Carriebear174 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Eating more is never the answer to losing more weight.

How much were you losing on 1500?

Are you female/male?

How tall and what do you weigh?

I lost 3lbs, female,5'11, 238
  • Carriebear174
    Options

238 goal is 224 logging on this app
  • Carriebear174
    Options
    Andy10725 wrote: »

I wasnt loseing anything or very little with the 1500 she thought if she upped the calories it might trick my metabolism
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Unless you are more than 75 pounds overweight, do NOT expect 2 pounds a week weight loss. You have to be very overweight for that to happen regularly.

If you are "averaging" 1 pound a week, you are doing well. Weight loss will not be linear, because water weight.

How are you measuring your food intake? Are you weighing solids on a digital food scale, are you using a liquid measuring cup for liquids? Are you logging every bite, every taste, every lick? Double check database selections....plenty are wrong.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    what did the MFP stats give you for goal calories - taking into account your age/weight/activity level? at 238lbs, then 1700 is likely under your TDEE, so you should be able to lose weight on it
  • Carriebear174
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

Unless you are more than 75 pounds overweight, do NOT expect 2 pounds a week weight loss. You have to be very overweight for that to happen regularly.

If you are "averaging" 1 pound a week, you are doing well. Weight loss will not be linear, because water weight.

How are you measuring your food intake? Are you weighing solids on a digital food scale, are you using a liquid measuring cup for liquids? Are you logging every bite, every taste, every lick? Double check database selections....plenty are wrong.

Thank you
  • Andy10725
    edited August 2017
    Options

I wasnt loseing anything or very little with the 1500 she thought if she upped the calories it might trick my metabolism

Since you hire the person, might as well ask him or her more questions on this topic. Everyone is somewhat different when it comes to weight loss. Doesn't hurt to try out different methods and see what works the best and stick to it. Try out different macro ration, different eating interval, different amount of cal deficit etc... Keep track of your body fat and lean body mass. Ideally you want to loose body fat and keeping all the lean body mass. Realistically you would be more likely to see both dropping. Just make sure body fat is loosing at a much greater ratio then you are golden.
  • Carriebear174
    Options
    Thankbuou
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Double check database selections....plenty are wrong.

How? I try doing that. Often I think "This feels wrong.", but I have no way of deciding which is right. I try to go with the ones that have the most nutrients listed (meaning, have something put in for sugars, iron, fiber and so on that is not all zero), because they sound the most well researched. I am most lost with my lunches out. I can't measure there, especially not the separate ingredients, so I try to find a meal which is hopefully close to what I got. If you don't cook everything yourself, research every single ingredient that does not have a label to scan and go out only at places which list detailed nutritional information (which I guess only chains would do) then it is just plain impossible to log accurately.

• VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Well. For starters, did the dietitian also put you on a meal plan for your micros/Marcos? That makes a big deal. And were your workouts (not sure if or how much you exercise) added into it. If they were, both your doctor and dietitian could be right, but have different information. There is a possibility that your exercising to burn 500cal/day. Which would be 1200+500=1700 as per your dietitian. And your doctor could have you at 1200 a day not factoring exercise.

You should ask them this and go into detail about exactly what it is thier recommendation is coming from.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, did you say that you're 5'11 and female and the doctor is willing to put you down to 1,000 cals??? That's crazy. Even me at 5'7 and 228lb can lose about 2lb a week at around 1300 calories.