Did my first ever 5k

CrazyWelsh
CrazyWelsh Posts: 47 Member
Did my first ever 5k and did it in 48 minutes. I did no training for it but so wish I had. Was great fun and doing another 5k in 3 weeks, will definitely train for that one.

Did you all start out slow and then got faster or staying at the same speed?

Replies

• MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,817 Member
    Great job! Yep, my speed has increased over the years. But it happened very gradually and only really in the past few years.
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Great job! Definitely go slow while trying to achieve faster pace. If you go to hard to quick you can hurt yourself and make it less enjoyable. First thing I would recommend is get a good comfortable shoe and a heart rate monitor. You don't have to buy a 200+ dollar shoe just get something nice. I really like Saucony shoes. They are comfortable and around $100.00. I started out doing 5k's a few years ago and it really sparked my interest in running and other activities as well. I would say one thing to base your pace and endurance off is you should be able to talk while running with a partner. If you can't hold a conversation without taking a breath between words you are pushing to hard. Give yourself small goals like every few weeks or once a month try to improve your time or distance. I really like the Runkeeper and Polar Beat apps. They both have GPS and will notify you on pace, distance and let you know when you have a quicker time or farther distance than normal. Best of luck on your journey and feel free to add me if you need some support or recipes.
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    edited August 2017
    Congrats! Are you talking about pacing over the course of a single 5k, or running speed in general? Assuming the latter, you'll find that as a beginner, your speed will naturally increase just by running more and building base miles. Just be careful that you don't push too hard, too fast, as that can lead to injury. Look for a beginner plan like C25K. You don't need any fancy equipment or gadgets when starting out, just a good pair of running shoes (getting fitted at a running store where they can take a look at your gait and make specific recommendations is best) and maybe a stopwatch or timer of some sort.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    CrazyWelsh wrote: »
    Did my first ever 5k and did it in 48 minutes. I did no training for it but so wish I had. Was great fun and doing another 5k in 3 weeks, will definitely train for that one.

Did you all start out slow and then got faster or staying at the same speed?

Great stuff, well done!

I improved my half marathon time by 6 minutes in the last 12 months if that's what you mean by getting faster?
  • CrazyWelsh
    Thank you for such great advice. You are all great.
  • CrazyWelsh
    Best of luck on your journey and feel free to add me if you need some support or recipes.

I do not know how to add you as I would like to have more advice from you please. Thank you. :)
  • Mojame9
    Mojame9 Posts: 32 Member
    Brilliant!
    Although I'm no where close to doing a 5k my humble suggestion would be increasing distance. Would that burn more calories than improving speed?