Belly fat

I have small amount of belly fat left after months of cutting. I did maintenance for the last two weeks and feel better eating this way. I want to stay in maintenance as I'm tired of cutting but I'm worried about this belly fat never leaving. I am lifting with the 5x5 program and I do some cardio and yoga as well. Is it possible too lose this belly fat this way or do I need to keep cutting?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Is it possible to change body composition at maintenance?
    - Absolutely yes.

Is it possible to choose where to lose fat from?
    - No.

Cut if you want to be lighter, maintain if you don't.
  • marrrisa
    marrrisa Posts: 44 Member
    I have this same question! I want to put on some muscle and change my body composition, but I have a hint of fat on my sides that I don't know how to get rid of.

I don't want to be any lighter. I would just hate to cut and lose progress from muscle gain :/
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Or you have the option to recomp. Eat at maintenance and keep doing 5x5. Slowly, you will gain muscle and strength and loss fat. In theory, eventually, the belly fat will slowly shrink away. You said you are eating at maintenance and are tired of cutting but you didn't say whether you were at or close to goal. The closer to goal, the better the results with recomp.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    edited August 2017
    Yesterday a fellow with a 2-digit post count touted a procedure called "cryolipolysis". I was tempted to either "flag" or "woo" it, but decided to google it instead. Dang if it isn't for real. It costs $750-$1000 for one treatment, which after the redness and swelling subside seems to show the results the customers want. What will they think of next? I'll post this, and woo it myself.

I tried. It won't let me.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    I woo'd it for ya ;)
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    mmapags wrote: »
    Or you have the option to recomp. Eat at maintenance and keep doing 5x5. Slowly, you will gain muscle and strength and loss fat. In theory, eventually, the belly fat will slowly shrink away. You said you are eating at maintenance and are tired of cutting but you didn't say whether you were at or close to goal. The closer to goal, the better the results with recomp.

I'm at my goal weight
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    MrsBeccaM5 wrote: »
    mmapags wrote: »

I'm at my goal weight

Then a recomp should accomplish what you want. It does require patience as it's a slow process.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Yesterday a fellow with a 2-digit post count touted a procedure called "cryolipolysis". I was tempted to either "flag" or "woo" it, but decided to google it instead. Dang if it isn't for real. It costs $750-$1000 for one treatment, which after the redness and swelling subside seems to show the results the customers want. What will they think of next? I'll post this, and woo it myself.

I tried. It won't let me.

It's more commonly known as CoolSculpting. It's something I'm thinking of trying if I meet my goal of finishing my 1st marathon in Oct. From what I hear, one session can remove 20% of the fat surrounded by the applicator. So a Dexa scan is useful to determine the amount of fat in a particular area of your body.