what diet plan has worked for you?

Options

Replies

• OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    kaypee65 wrote: »
    I am very much a believer in gut flora as helping or hindering weight loss. And the best current evidence suggests fewer processed foods and a very, very high fiber diet. I consume 30 grams of fiber a day.

My breakfast smoothies have 13 grams of fiber. I made a buffalo tempeh salad with ranch dressing for dinner last night. Delicious, satisfying on every level. And 10 grams of fiber.

http://www.newsweek.com/weight-loss-enemy-within-414483

30g of fiber really isn't that much? I hit between 40g-50g of fiber a day and it hasn't done anything magical for me....what's a high fiber diet supposed to accomplish?

Agreed that I wouldn't think of 30 g as very high, but apparently more fiber (related to lots of unprocessed plant foods and more specifically beans and whole grains) tends to result in a more diverse gut biome and specifically some bacteria that correlate with those from populations with healthier diets. But there's a lot we don't know yet: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/19/magazine/say-hello-to-the-100-trillion-bacteria-that-make-up-your-microbiome.html

I tend to think that more whole plant foods is generally good, and that tends to mean more fiber, but I don't focus on fiber for itself. (I might if it made a huge difference in how full I am, but it does not.)

Huh, I learned something new today!
  • lcyama
    lcyama Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    counting calories, preplanning and prelogging meals, weighing food when i can and measuring when i can't, drinking 8-10 cups of water throughout the day, eating three meals and two snacks with protein each time.
  • Mark_Joseph
    Mark_Joseph Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Wow. Didnt expect this many responses. Honestly, thanks for the feedback everyone. It is great to hear everyones experience with what they have done or are doing right now to achieve their fitness goals.

Now just to be clear this post was simply made out of curiosity towards other peoples stories. It wasn't a post for me to pick and choose a diet.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    This isn't a diet in the way you're talking about but I've never been good at restricting food groups. I know it's popular but I enjoy such a wide variety of foods that I've never been able to do it for long.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options
    What worked ...

I entered my details into MFP.
    I chose sedentary as my activity level.
    I chose to lose 0.5 kg/week.
    MFP gave me 1250 calories.

I exercise every day, and thus get more calories of which I ate about half back.

And then, I went to the grocery stores and markets around and had a really good look at what was available. I found all sorts of delicious options that fit within my calories! My diet went from the same ol' same ol' every day to something a lot more varied and interesting. :)
  • slimmingsarah_85
    slimmingsarah_85 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    16:8 works for me.

I'm never hungry in the morning anyway, and I've always followed the "no eating after 7" rule. I've lost over 100 pounds doing this. Don't get me wrong, it's not magic. I still cut out most junk, no sodas or sugary drinks unless planned and the calories counted, always count every calorie, exercise... But, with 16:8 I feel satisfied on less food and having eating times and routine is great!

My mother has lost 30 pounds doing this but her eating time is actually from 7am-3pm because she is never hungry at night, also she is old and goes to bed at 6.
  • kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    I don't follow any diet plan. I eat the foods I like in quantities that fit my calorie and macro goals, focusing primarily on nutrient-dense items but always leaving room for treats. I've found that cutting certain foods out eventually led me to binge on them.

You always have awesome answers!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Well, let's see. I've been at this for years and I've tried quite a few things.

I started out knowing that it's all about calories but I had been diagnosed with prediabetes and was put on a VLCD to lose 5% of my weight. Weight loss went fast because I was super morbidly obese but it was hell. I would never do it again.

I hopped right into the ketogenic diet due to my diagnosis. It did not work for me and made me miserable in more than one way and I didn't lose as much as I was hoping to lose, so that was it.

After that I decided, since keto is not a good fit for me I need to obsess about every morsel of food and make sure if it's a carb that it's a "slow carb", have 100% of my intake from what I perceived to be healthy foods, zero added sugar, severely limiting fruits...etc. I started getting kooky in the head and had to put an end to it before I turned into "one of those people".

I started eating a balanced diabetic-friendly diet paying attention to meal composition but not obsessing, while trying to keep my carbs under 150. I was still a bit wanting because I love my carbs, and having a limit on them made me a little uncomfortable even though that was something I could reasonably sustain. I kept at it and it was leaps and bounds better than my previous ventures.

As I lost weight my blood sugar returned to normal and I no longer needed to control my carbs, so I did away with the limit on carbs and just started eating whatever I wanted within calories. I still test my blood sugar after a carby meal once or twice a month to make sure I'm doing fine, and thankfully I haven't had issues since.

With the focus on carbs gone I started getting interested in protein. I tried a high protein diet, then a moderately high protein diet, both were too stressful due to my food preferences. I settled on a number that is higher that the general recommendations but lower than what many aim for (1g per 1 kg of goal weight as a minimum but often aim for 1.2 or more). I found it much less stressful and very sustainable.

Along the way I discovered the every other day diet and got curious about it. Tried it, and it was brilliant. I got bored with it after a while but I didn't chuck it away. I keep coming back to it, modified, every now and then.

I'm an easily bored person, so what I settled at in the end and what is working like a charm is switching among several strategies that worked for me whenever I'm bored with the existing one. From a perpetual calories bank, to a weekly budget, to incorporating fasts in some way, to time restricted feeding, to good old daily calorie restriction, to zigzagging. I fluctuate between purposeful weight loss, weight maintenance and weight gain. Depending on my mood and circumstances my weight loss plan can be high deficit, moderate deficit, low deficit, or flexible deficit. I also have situation-specific strategies to fall back on whenever needed. Basically what works for me is just to eat what I want and do what I want without allowing myself to lose control or be overwhelmed by what my daily life throws at me.
  • kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I used to keto, but it was not sustainable for me because I am much happier eating carbs. I am currently doing OMAD, with some days doing a IF 18:6. Really enjoy OMAD because it allows me to eat huge amounts of food at once (anything I want). It makes me feel like I am not on a restrictive diet because it makes me full and satisfied. I can enjoy sweets and desserts.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Every "diet" I have ever been on, I ended up failing. I had to change my lifestyle. I stopped depriving myself of what I wanted and focused on what I needed. I need a certain amount of protien, fat, cabs, veggies, fruits. I worked on finding the foods that would bring me to the level I needed, then switched stuff around for lower calorie/more nutritionally dense to stay in a caloie deficit. Then I started working out, 6 days a week. Every day I would do 30 min of cardio, every other day incorporate weights.

Diets don't work because they are temporary, you have to change your lifestyle for it to be permanent.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    )I try and limit my added sugar. I find I have more energy and lost more belly fat when I limited my added sugar. It involves a lot of label reading but I think it is worth it. I don't bother counting natural sugars.
    Keep in mind though, these worked for me, I am sure we are very different people with different goals and it is all about finding what works for you! :)
    belly fat is not lost from cutting sugar down or out,its lost in a deficit and comes off where it wants.so if you lost quicker in the stomach area then its due to your genetics.

I wish I could pick and choose where I lost fat. I'd still have a C cup and my thighs would be slimmer. But, nope, body decided where to pull fat from and I have no say in that.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    This isn't a diet in the way you're talking about but I've never been good at restricting food groups. I know it's popular but I enjoy such a wide variety of foods that I've never been able to do it for long.
    I find the definitions and usage of words so interesting. Popular [has a range of meanings that I didn't know about, according to Wiktionary, but I already knew it] can mean both common and desirable. Cutting out food groups is a common dieting method, but that doesn't make it desirable. Some people thrive on low carb, but many more suffer on low carb.
  • holliemaybe
    holliemaybe Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Everyone thinks that it's cheating but I have been doing Jenny Craig for the last 5 months or so, along with tracking calories, and have lost 16 kilos which I never would have managed on my own. For me the weekly one on one weigh ins keep me accountable and striving for my goal.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    Options
    Everyone thinks that it's cheating but I have been doing Jenny Craig for the last 5 months or so, along with tracking calories, and have lost 16 kilos which I never would have managed on my own. For me the weekly one on one weigh ins keep me accountable and striving for my goal.

I don't see anyone who thinks it's cheating, but most people agree that it's not necessary. If it helps you, good for you, but it's not required to be successful. Big difference.
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    After experimenting and tweaking what diet I chose, I now am keeping calories within 1350 and watching my sugars, fats and sodium. That seems to work for me. I make most of my food, rarely eat out, that keeps me from being tempted and eating food that I don't know whats in it, and that's about it. I'm doing well on this. I don't demonize any foods, but some foods I choose not to eat because it will be too tempting. but dang if I want a peanut butter sandwich I will work it into my day's macros. I also keep careful track on MFP and weighing and measuring, since eyeballing/guessing portions have done me wrong. I also do not starve and eat if I'm hungry. if I happen to go over a little bit of calories for the day, I don't fret, I just record the food and begin the next day. I also keep stress out of my life and that helps a whole lot.

I also do not eat 'diet food" or anything that is going to not taste good. I also try to eat a variety of foods.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I lost most of my weight on the older Weight Watchers plans. Granted they were good for teaching me portion control and what a balanced sensible meal looked like. They also taught me the value of adding fruits and veggies to every meal. But this new one is pretty restrictive and doesn't work well with my hypoglycemia. If I'm out of points veggies won't cut it, I'd pass out. I need food. I'm also a sucker for seasonal, novelty, or limited edition foods. Sometimes I need a taste of the new and special to keep me happy, and calorie counting plus portion control does that.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I just want some insight or information about what diet has worked for you? What did you do? How did you it And if you were able to lose weight or gain? In contrast you can also talk about what didn't work for your or provide reasons why "x diet" didn't do so well for you and etc.

Many diets have helped me lose weight......low carb, rotation diet (something like 5:2 nowadays), old Weight Watchers style "exchanges" and counting calories.

If you are just asking about weight loss.....all of these worked for me. I'm good at temporary "projects."

However maintenance is a life long goal, not a temporary "project." Pick something that helps you with both steps. The diet, and what comes after. For me this is counting calories (CICO) because it helps me figure out what I'm doing wrong.
  • SaraydaB
    SaraydaB Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Counting calories while hitting my macros... Also portion control